Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335597 times)

Xandeis

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Not sure if allomancers would be openly allowed to participate in sports, but if they were then Atium would be a banned substance, like steriods for all sports except fighting sports. Olympic Games: metal horseshoe marathon racing!!! Shotput and hammer throw!! funny, very funny!!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Mistings will be quite widespread in society, so sports that didn't accommodate them would be discriminatory.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #362 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:47 AM »
I could see in the mistings and feruchemists and whatnot having to be registered by the government.

moridin11

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I have a few questions....

1. How did an earring kill vin's sister and make it through to vin to give her the extra bronze powers?
2. What happens to the spikes in the kandra when they are being held prisoners, because i dont remember reading that they were in their pile of muscles but they also turn to mistwraiths if they dont have them?

Xandeis

• Level 2
    • View Profile
I am not sure it was the earring that kill her sister. I am at work, without my book, but I think that earring had the sister's blood on it or something to that nature.

And you would have to have Misting/Feruchemy..etc and Non-Misting/Feruchemy..etc league sports....kinda unfair for someone who can't burn pewter to fight or play against someone who can.

Arionhawk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I have a few questions....

1. How did an earring kill Vin's sister and make it through to Vin to give her the extra bronze powers?
2. What happens to the spikes in the kandra when they are being held prisoners, because i dont remember reading that they were in their pile of muscles but they also turn to mistwraiths if they dont have them?

1. The allomantic spike doesn't need to pierce directly into the person when that person is killed, it just loses some of it's power when outside of a body.  Marsh's inner monologue tells all how it works when he's going to spike Lord Penrod.  Also Vin's mother was under the control of Ruin, so the killing of her younger sister was probably pretty dang gruesome.

2. When they are being held prisoner they still have atleast the spikes that give them their mind, as when TenSoon is captive he mentions that he still has his. And yes if they don't have them they do indeed turn back into Mistwraiths, but would return to who they were when/if they were to get them back again, or at least that's my understanding of it.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
1. The allomantic spike doesn't need to pierce directly into the person when that person is killed, it just loses some of it's power when outside of a body.  Marsh's inner monologue tells all how it works when he's going to spike Lord Penrod.  Also Vin's mother was under the control of Ruin, so the killing of her younger sister was probably pretty dang gruesome.

No she wasn't. She was just crazy.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

No she wasn't. She was just crazy.

Um, yes.  Yes she was.  Sazed implies as much in Book 3 in one of the bumps.  Vin was the perfect opportunity---Mistborn, Misting sister, crazy mother.  Ruin jumped at it.  Of course, it was poisoned bait by Preservation.
Nature hates being reified.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Regarding Hemalurgy:

1)  In an annotation from book 1, it is mentioned that The Lord Ruler needed all 3 magic systems in order to do what he did.  I always assumed that it meant his Hemalurgy enhanced his Allomancy.  Did Marsh get a double power, or is the Feruchemy-Allomancy combo enough? ( a sidebar to this question is whether or not stacking abilities is possible through Hemalurgy).

2) Did Vin's mother actually have a spike, or was she so crazy that one wasn't necessary for Ruin to influence her?

3)  When the Kandra get their spikes back, do they remember who they were, or have they been "rebooted"?

1)  He used Hemalurgy to pull off his most dramatic effects.  Marsh didn't need them, but it makes things much easier. 

2)  She was crazy enough on her own.

3)  They remember, though some things are vague or foggy in their minds.  Depends on the individual. 

From this same thread. So I must have missed the part where Sazed implied it. You have the reference handy? I didn't think he could influence people unless they were spiked, and her mother wasn't.

Edit: OK found this: "people with unstable personalities were more susceptible to Ruin's influence, even if they didn't have a spike in them" pg 473 and "she was the only child Ruin could find who was in a position to gain the right Hemalurgic spike ... She had an insane mother, a sister who was a Seeker, and was--herself--Mistborn" (pg 499).

All of the info from this thread and the subtlties from the book, it's hard to keep everything straight.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:50:19 PM by WickedNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
Kelsier was one crazy mom (his mother was just a fraud, not actually crazy) and an early Snapping away from having still more burden than he already had.

That musing aside...

It seems, from Zane's PoV that being unstable AND spiked would have been a bit redundant.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered Brandon, I'm still working on getting caught up with the forums, I've been busy, sick, and dealing with identity theft! :o

But could you give us a short guide on how Spooks dialect is spoken?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JymWhythawhy

• Level 1
    • View Profile

Actually, I was thinking about that earlier, and I've kind of come up with something.  It's basically basketball combined with football, but only with coinshots and lurchers.  There's a team of each misting for each side.  The ball would be a metal, and the point would be to have the metal ball being pushed by one team towards the goal posts (a hoop like basketball) with the lurchers trying to keep the ball from going in.  If the ball falls to the ground, then the team possession changes.  (Maybe each team could be made up of like five of each.)

Hmm... I think if it were a rubber ball with a small metal core, that might actually work. Unless you want the bal to be massive enough to stop all the momentum the pusher or puller has and possibly kill someone. Woo! Now I want to watch it!
Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think, but in a deeper voice.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered Brandon, I'm still working on getting caught up with the forums, I've been busy, sick, and dealing with identity theft! :o

But could you give us a short guide on how Spooks dialect is spoken?

I would actually love to see this as well.  I think there have been a few sort-of explanations in other threads, but I'd love to see something a bit more detailed. 

It would be so much fun to talk in the Spook's street slang with my friends.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »
I was working on my Metals table last night and I was wondering what are the exact percentages for each Allomantic Alloy.   We know Allomancer's Pewter is 91% Tin and 9% Lead so I was wondering what the others were.

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
I was working on my Metals table last night and I was wondering what are the exact percentages for each Allomantic Alloy.   We know Allomancer's Pewter is 91% Tin and 9% Lead so I was wondering what the others were.

Chromium's (the "15th metal") alloy (according to BS), Nicrosil (the 16th)
Nicrosil:  14.4% Chromium, 1.4% Silicon, 0.1% Magnesium, and the balance of that is Nickel.