Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335601 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #885 on: September 07, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »
In Hemalurgy, there are two subjects. There is the one you are stealing the power from (The victim) and the one you are giving the power to (The endowed). When stealing powers from the victim, the metal spike must be driven through their heart and kill them, absorbing their spirit. Only when it comes time to endow the power does the position of the piercing matter, hence why Inquisitors and Kandra (And presumably Koloss) always have their spikes in the same places.

Unless you can find an example from the text or Brandon where a Hemalurgic victim is killed in some way other than a metal spike through their heart, I'm going to have to stick with my side.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

skinnybattlecow

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #886 on: September 08, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
newbie alert! I've read Elantris and the Mistborn trilogy and missed the Hoid thing completely. However, now that I have been perusing the questions and observations in this thread, is it possible that Hoid may be the Creator? The being the "shards" are derived from? He/it/she could be in a weakened state due to being divided amongst many different worlds in the form of shards and can only observe and provide subtle "nudges" through affecting emotions. Just a thought. Has this been brought up before?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2009, 04:46:33 AM »
He is connected to a shard nothing more
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

skinnybattlecow

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Thank you  :)

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 25, 2009, 04:45:36 AM »
Erm, right then. Here's a question that's been bugging me for some time. If it's already been covered somewhere in the 700+ topics in this forum, point me in the right direction.

As a fan from California, I am unable to obtain Dragonsteel or any other BYU-exclusive material of yours, so I can only understand from my moderate lurking how the cosmology of your universe works. As far as I can tell, there was a supreme deity of some sort, Adonalsium, whose name I suspect is derived from the Hebrew "Adonai." Adonalsium was split by something (or did he split himself?) into 16 "shards," like Ruin, Preservation, and possibly Austre, and these shard-gods are what actually created the various worlds of your universe. (Please, somebody tell me if I got that all correctly.)

Anyway, the focus of my question is beings connected to shards, like Hoid. Is Sazed also one of these beings now? He wasn't the original Ruin or Preservation, but he wields the powers of both. Did Hoid gain his powers in a similar fashion to Sazed? Indeed, can we expect to see planet-hopping Sazed cameos?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #890 on: September 25, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
Brandon has stated on the B&N Q&A he had a few months ago that the Voice from Warbreaker is a Shard, and its name is Endowment.

As for things being connected to Shards, my current theory is that being under a Shard's influence will slowly alter the mind of the holder. That is, of course, rampant speculation.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 25, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
Erm, right then. Here's a question that's been bugging me for some time. If it's already been covered somewhere in the 700+ topics in this forum, point me in the right direction.

As a fan from California, I am unable to obtain Dragonsteel or any other BYU-exclusive material of yours, so I can only understand from my moderate lurking how the cosmology of your universe works. As far as I can tell, there was a supreme deity of some sort, Adonalsium, whose name I suspect is derived from the Hebrew "Adonai." Adonalsium was split by something (or did he split himself?) into 16 "shards," like Ruin, Preservation, and possibly Austre, and these shard-gods are what actually created the various worlds of your universe. (Please, somebody tell me if I got that all correctly.)

Anyway, the focus of my question is beings connected to shards, like Hoid. Is Sazed also one of these beings now? He wasn't the original Ruin or Preservation, but he wields the powers of both. Did Hoid gain his powers in a similar fashion to Sazed? Indeed, can we expect to see planet-hopping Sazed cameos?

This speculation is interesting, but I've seen hints in some of his comments that the story is much larger than this, somehow.
Nature hates being reified.

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 26, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »
As far as I can tell, there was a supreme deity of some sort, Adonalsium, whose name I suspect is derived from the Hebrew "Adonai."

I also suspected that derivation. On the other hand, something ending in -ium makes me think of it as a substance or object, not a being. I think it could go either way.
That is suspicious, now that you mention it. Perhaps Adonalsium was some sort of primordial substance, from which the shards were made?

Eh, I think I'm speculating too much now.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 26, 2009, 02:32:11 AM »
Not too surprising, really, given that the two known Shards refer to their "bodies" as atium and lerasium.  "Adonalsium" may very well be the "body of God."

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #894 on: September 26, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »
-ium denotes a metal. As does the use of the word "shards", which also specifies that it has a well-bonded structure; calcium, for example, crumbles rather than shattering.

Dragonsteel could be related, but I doubt it. Then again, Brandon's stated perspective on fantasy is "why not?", so can we really expect him to keep dragons out of such a huge universe? :P Of course, that begs the question of what exactly Dragonsteel is (if it isn't Adonalsium).
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 26, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »
Dragonsteel is like the liquid that was in the Well of Ascension.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:44:16 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #896 on: September 26, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
Dragonsteel is like the liquid that was in the Well of Ascension.

Interesting, interesting :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

skinnybattlecow

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 26, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
All y'all know more than I do 'bout this stuff. Makes me want to re-read all of BS' stuff over again.  ;D

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
-ium denotes a metal.
True, but the rule does have notable exceptions within BS's work. Khlennium, for example, was the name of a whole country, so it couldn't be that far-fetched for the name of a god to have the same suffix.

(I know this comes a month after the fact, but my internet access is sporadic at best. Apologies.)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
But that city was mentioned in the Mistborn series, so it's entirely possible that Khlennium is a material as well. Of course, it's also possible that everything has metallic sounding names because of the importance of metals.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie