Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 361875 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #750 on: February 15, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
I'd give it a week before the entirety of the world would be blithering slaves bowing at his feet. lol.

Not only that, but the look of the world would be entirely different....I mean, Breeze definitely has style. Therefore, the world would probably be red...Maybe.

Enter Breeze:

Quote from: Breeze
And all the plants should be red.  Except the roses.   Don't paint the roses.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #751 on: February 15, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
Wait, now I'm confused. Is that actually a quote from Breeze, or is it something you made up that works in this scenario?....Because I don't remember that, but I can totally see him saying something like that after his whole speech about how Ruin should have style....

Anyway. It's funny. I like it....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 15, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
I was making it up.  And the roses thing was alluring to Alice in Wonderland. . . >>
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #753 on: February 15, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
Ah. I knew it sounded kind of familiar....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 15, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
Yes.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 15, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Out of all the characters Breeze truly understands humans, I mean Sazed doesn't see all the dark-side of our race he is too much an optimist, he can't yet admit we are all both good and evil. Breeze is to self centered to play god, who knows would be a humors novel i suppose.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »
How is being pennieless an improvement... well i still got my friends right?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2009, 06:25:47 AM »
How is being pennieless an improvement... well i still got my friends right?

This goes better in the 'Stupid Titles' thread. Here.

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
Slowpoke here. I can't not contribute, sorry.

First of all, I love this series like burning. I'm much more excited about the prospect of prequels that perhaps explore Alendi, Rashek, and/or the world prior to the Ascension. The background for the time period of the books themselves is incredibly rich, and it sounds like there's so much delicious history to explore. DO WANT.

Second of all, the ending was JUST RIGHT. I'll just leave it at that for now.

i escape to fantasy for the happy ending.
They saved the day. The world got fixed. Sazed isn't all emo anymore. Vin and Elend went out with a bang, together -- and Sazed states that they're comfortable and in a better place -- so neither has to grieve for the other. That sounds like a happy ending to me.

they didnt even get a chance to reproduce.
As one of the few females who does not have any desire to reproduce ever, I was happy they didn't reproduce. I realize I'm a minority but I much prefer this to a herd of children, or one kid with PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS inherited from his or her superawesome parents. It contributed to driving me away from post-original trilogy Star Wars stuff.

Just say no to tropes and stereotypes.

Third, is there anyone out there other than me that would pay to see this in theaters??
Too much content for a movie. I'd actually like to see it as an animaated series, since all the special effects required for live action would be too costly. It would look fabulous visualized either way, though.

I said on the 14th that no matter how the ending was done if Vin died it'd be too cliche, but it ended up working out really well.  It's cliche that she died, but the manner and the reason wasn't cliche at all.
Am I the only one who thinks it would have been cliché if she'd lived?

They had steam technology, and were just about to hit the railroad era.  Something near early 1800s in our world.
:D~~ I can't wait to dig into the fanart.

More later.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
Ack! Tropes are not cliches nor stereotypes!!! Although sometimes they can become them through overuse. Check out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage for a more in-depth explanation and a buttload of examples.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
Haha, actually as I was typing up a different post up, I got distracted by TVtropes.org for over an hour.

I guess I mean clichés.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
lol ooook. I guess I can forgive you then  :P  The words mean almost the same thing anyway  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
Now that we know more about spiking, it seems like [Zane] wanted Ruin somehow to 'participate' with the herbalist (whose name I forget) and with Vin.  Eww.
...wait, what?

11. Trust.  Great choice of title for the final part!  One of my favourite things from FE and WoA was how Vin gradually overcame her abandonment issues.  For instance, I was going "YES!" on the inside when she chose to turn to Elend first after her fight with Zane -- throwing aside the I-can't-let-him-see-me-like-this anxiety.  And then, in HoA, the abandonment issues turn out to be part of the plot, not 'just' free-standing character development.  Again, "YES!"  And so much of the final denial of Ruin depended on people doing what they could and trusting that it would make a difference.

12.  Martyrdom of Vin and Elend.  I have no problem with it.  They'd been prepared on previous occasions to lay down their own lives (and each other's!), but happened to get away with it.  A story would be too bright and cheesy if everyone who took heroic risks always survived.  And in this case, they were already both thoroughly on board with the whole trust thing.
Here here. Those were two things I REALLY liked. They could have been handled so badly but they really turned out excellently. (lol bad English)

It's your book and your story though, but next time around I think that I'll wait until the whole set is out and then read the reviews first to see if they say something similar happens before I invest my time, and emotional well being.
D: Hope you like spoilers.

(the entire time she "was" Preservation I kept screaming that she's gotta come back down and say bye to Elend - I think I managed to make my brother mad for that one :)) but the imagery of when Spook found their bodies at the end sorta made it "ok" for me. They were holding hands, possibly showing that their love transcended even their deaths.
Yeah, that bit made it totally work for me. I think it would have been sad only if one of them had died and left the other one alive. The two of them dying together apparently at peace with everything is... maybe it isn't a positive image to most people but I think so. The fact that Sazed confirms that they are content in some sort of afterlife definitely makes it rather positive.

Sacrifice is a key theme to the whole series.  Yes, they died.  They died triumphant.
Heh, I wish I could put that in my sig.

Marsh lives the nightmare. He is not his own, though he is, ironically, the means by which Vin is ultimately saved. Though tainted, Marsh recaptures enough of his will to remove the taint from her. His storyline evokes so many competing reactions, adding layers to him and the narrative that are masterfully chilling and uplifting at the same time. A uniquely memorable character.

TenSoon, for he’s a jolly good kandra, for he’s a jolly good…. Well, you see where I’m going with that. I loved learning more about him and his people. His courage is so amazing. It is easy to warm to this being, even though he did away with OreSeur. The revelations about the First Contract and the First Generation were masterful...
Signed and signed.

Here's a bigger cover picture:

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html
that is most definitly not how i pictured elend would look.
I actually really like all three of the paperback books. Maybe it's because I saw their covers before I saw the hardback versions but I think they really suit the setting and "feel" of the series.

For some reason I got the old-fashioned Japanese naval uniform in my head as soon as Elend's uniform was described.

The way Tindwyl was trying to groom Elend into a stern leader made the trim, starched Japanese naval uniform perfect in my mind's eye.

More later as I continue to plow through these pages. ¬_____¬

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
Now that you say it Laura I had the same thing pictured in my head.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
I love the pictures of the Japanese uniform! Now I have a much clearer mental picture of Elend. :)
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension