Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362527 times)

GoryCat

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
So you're shipping allomantic metals, then?
???  What does that have to do with it?  I'm not trying to get two metals in a relationship with each other, I'm trying to figure out what certain metals do.

It's a pun, that's all.  Some fans concoct hypothetical relationships between their favorite characters, and others here do the same with allomantic metals.  Preference is given to the most exciting combinations, despite the implausibility or outright absurdity of such combinations ever occurring in "canon".  Sometimes one of the partners is outrageously dominating, or at least portrayed that way, to the point that simply showing how they are the best becomes the effective goal of the whole enterprise.  Insert "larasium" or "Mary Sue" into that rubric as appropriate and see how hard it is to say which posts are shipping and which are somehow more sober.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Theorizing about the effects of larasium and atium alloys (with other metals, or with each other) is hardly shipping. You may see it as that, but it's not like it hasn't been backed by the author. There ARE other alloys. BS has said that there are, and I'm guessing that he's worked out the effects of each alloy as well. He hasn't released those though, so it's perfectly fine for fans to theorize about such effects. As much as that may sound like "shipping," it's pretty much entirely different, once you get down to the 'science' of it.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Oh, I like that idea, Ook. I was looking at the poster the other day, trying to figure out how the alloys of atium would work. I didn't really get very far, mostly because the first one I tried was Electrum, and I couldn't figure it out, because it seemed like what we knew about it (atium) already did that. But your idea makes total sense. Now I think I shall go back and try to figure out the rest.

Also, in this same vein. Since Atium alloys only gives expanded mental and temporal effects, does that mean only mental and temporal metals can be alloyed with it? Or can all of them be, and even the Physical/Enhancement metals would end up being a mental/temporal effect as an alloy?
Interesting... it would make sense that "Atium" is really an Atium/electrum alloy. After all, Malatium is an Atium/gold alloy. Although, i cant even figure out what atium would do when alloyed with any of the Mental metals, or even cadmium and not-Cerrobend (hooray for proprietary eponyms!)would do  :-[.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Well, looking at both gold and electrum, they affect the person burning, but alloyed with atium, they affect others. So maybe Cadmium and not-Cerrobend act the same way. Maybe. Cadmium could make time go super-slow for everyone else around the burner, and not-Cerrobend could make time go super-fast for everyone around the burner, but the burner themselves is not affected. I'm just spit-balling here....

If I'm anywhere near being correct, it would be interesting to see someone burn both Cadmium and the not-Cerrobend Atium alloy at the same time. In battle, that would be devastating combination. Too bad there won't be any Mistborn in the other trilogies....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
But there will probably be Hemalurgists . . . .
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Oh, good point. So then they'd only have to find a real Atium Misting and kill them....and hopefully that would mean they'd be able to burn all the alloys.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2009, 04:09:50 PM »
I don't really know if it would work like that. I realize the cases aren't identical, but killing an iron misting doesn't mean you get steel as well.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
I know. But if there were only mistings for the 16 metals, then that makes the alloys of Atium useless in the later trilogies. That would suck. What would be the point for Brandon to figure out all the effects of all these different metal alloys and then never use them, and know that he's not going to use them, because there aren't any Mistborn and Atium Mistings can't burn the alloys.....

I'm thinking that the God metals must be different. I mean, anyone can burn Larasium....Not anyone can burn Atium, but maybe anyone who CAN burn Atium can also burn any alloy of Atium. But if you're a misting of a lower metal, it doesn't work that way with it's alloy (assuming it's not an alloy). So a gold Misting wouldn't be able to burn Malatium, even if it's an alloy of gold....

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
No, i think anyone can burn Atium, as in true Atium, but i don't know about Atium alloys...

Someone on these forums needs to find the real name for not-Cerrobend  ;).

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Someone on these forums needs to find the real name for not-Cerrobend  ;).

I found a few alternate names:

Cerrobend is also know as Wood's metal, Lipowitz's alloy, bendalloy, and pewtalloy.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
I believe bendalloy is the name Brandon is currently considering most seriously.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 12, 2009, 01:48:51 AM »
Too bad it's a lame name. "An alloy that bends"...yeah. I think that if you're going to name the metal after what it does, in the Mistborn world, it's allomantic properties would be more interesting than its industrial uses, so it would get named for the allomantic power.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
The cool thing about Cerrobend is that it has a very low melting point.  Somewhere around 70C/158F.  So you can actually melt it in hot water.  Pretty cool.

You are right tho, Bendalloy is a pretty lame name.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:01:24 AM by Hero of Ages »
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
The cool thing about Cerrobend is that it has a very low melting point.  Somewhere around 70C/58F.  So you can actually melt it in hot water.  Pretty cool.

You are right tho, Bendalloy is a pretty lame name.

Wait, what? 70 Celsius and 58 Fahrenheit is not the same temperature... and that still seems pretty low. I can melt it by body heat?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
That's 158F. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!