Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335953 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #600 on: December 13, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »
Well I meant are they in the same galaxy? Like are they Earth and Mars, as opposed to an Earth and Gliese 581c?

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #601 on: December 14, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »
Now the real question. Are Opelon and Mistborn in the same universe? Literally speaking, of course. How far away are the planets from eachother. That interests me greatly.

Most of Brandon's adult fantasy books (i.e. everything except Alcatraz and Scribbler) take place in the same metaverse, which is one reason you'll see Hoid in them. I don't think Warbreaker is in the same metaverse, but I don't recall now.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #602 on: December 14, 2008, 01:10:56 AM »
I know that, but I'm interested in the proximity of the worlds to one another. I guess I wasn't really clear on that point.  :D

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 14, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
Hoid does indeed appear in Warbreaker. Lightsong hires him.

Also, I find it interesting how similar Hoid and Hoed are.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

CptSqweky

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 14, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
Well I meant are they in the same galaxy? Like are they Earth and Mars, as opposed to an Earth and Gliese 581c?

Ummmmm... Do you mean Solar System? Because Earth and Gliese 581c are in the same galaxy. Earth and Mars, since they orbit the same star, are in the same Solar System.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #605 on: December 14, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »
Whatever, you know what I mean lol.  :D Astronomy isn't my strong suit, but it interests me.

I'm just curious as to their distance from one another.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 15, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »
Here's a totally off-topic question for Brandon:

Was preservation capable of reading minds, or was that something that couldn't be done at all in Scandrial?  It would make sense that Ruin couldn't---human consciousness and sentience is of Preservation.  The fact that Allomancers couldn't read minds makes it less likely, though.

Just a thought.
Nature hates being reified.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 16, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »
I don't know this for sure, but I think that Vin would've used the power of mind reading if she had it.
But that's just my guess.

I have a question though- how did Preservation see into the future?

Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #608 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:27 AM »
I simply adore the Table of Allomantic Metals. I just thought I'd come out and say that.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
I have a question though- how did Preservation see into the future?

I believe he didn't really "see" the future, he just knew Ruin and mankind well enough to know more or less what would eventually happen.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 17, 2008, 12:15:57 AM »
I simply adore the Table of Allomantic Metals. I just thought I'd come out and say that.
I agree with you. It. Is. Awesome.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 17, 2008, 03:31:26 AM »
Started a reread, and came up with more inquisitor inconsistencies questions.  The inquisitor Vin and Elend defeat at the beginning has only on pewter spike, which is supposedly is a new spike (for feruchemical speed) but wouldn't all inquisitors have one pewter spike for the power of gold, since all of them have this power?  That and my question about the gold minds are still festering in my brain, it would be nice to get an answer, do you know Ookla?

Also the new allomantic outer enhancement metals (chromium and nicrosil), interest me greatly, especially their effect on mistborn battles (even though mistborn will apparently cease to exist eventually).   Think how many times Vin was being choked by a stronger opponent.  If she had had Chromium, she could have burned it as soon as they touched her, leaving them powerless.  Mistborn battles could essentially become a game of tag, the first one to touch the other (on the skin) gains the advantage for the other loses all their power.  What would happen if they burned it at the same time I wonder?  The might start wearing gloves and face coverings to prevent this.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:53:36 AM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Thora

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 17, 2008, 05:05:58 AM »
I know that Brandon hasn't commented in here for ages (understandably, he is writing a book and all that), but I wanted to put my question and two cents in.  (Sorry I didn't have time to read all of the pages, just twenty or so, so this doesn't interact with any recent flows in comments).

First off, question.  What happened to the Terris people?  Sazed thinks to himself that he's probably the last Feruchemist they have.  So when he heals the world, does he give this gift back to his people?  Was this question answered in the book and was I reading too fast because it was the end and I had to know what happened to everyone so I missed that small detail?

Then, as someone who lived in Provo for six years, and attended BYU at the same time that Brandon was getting his Master's, and was in the Medieval club (which has nothing to do with anything except we put on feasts for LTUE), and I never knew who he was until I moved across the country really frustrates me.  I've never been to an author signing, and they occur all the time all over my old stomping grounds.  No fair! 

As far as the Mormon/LDS influence, I thought I saw some, but that may be my own reading lens coming through.  I did almost fall off the couch laughing when it turned out the Lord Ruler had, essentially, food storage, and when I came to the line where it mentioned that he had to rotate it regularly, I about died of laughter.  I just kept imagining him with his year's supply all labeled and ready, including buckets of wheat.

More importantly, I liked how Brandon included religion and questions of faith and belief and their importance/non importance on people and cultures.  I feel all too often in fantasy religion is either ignored completely or ridiculed, and in the Mistborn trilogy the deeper questions of what is right and good, what is trust and why is trust so important, as well as the religious searching of Sazed to be the most compelling part of it all to me. 

Also, although the ending was neither what I was expecting nor hoping for, I feel that it was truly the best ending for the book.  Like in Casablanca, which has a bittersweet ending - of course part of me wants the saccharine sweetness.  But a (larger) part of me recognizes that life is more complex then that, and Mistborn has been nothing if not close to real life feelings.  I think that's why I found the series so compelling as a whole - there were no all good or all bad.  Even Ruin and Preservation (which reminded me a lot of the skeksies (sp?) and the mystics in The Dark Crystal) have their appropriate places.  And death has its' appropriate place.  I don't think the ending was sad at all - just bittersweet.  Of course, I do believe heartily in an afterlife, so to me as long as they're together, Vin and Elend haven't ended at all. - Just left the center stage of the storytelling narrative.

jubs1111

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 17, 2008, 05:42:55 AM »
First off, congratulations on an amazing career! I love your unique style of writing. You not only create truly unique worlds, different and separate from any other fantasy series, but you also crank books out.  You have a respect and joy in writing that is rarely seen and it leads to a total devotion to your work.
I found the Mistborn Trilogy wonderful and I loved your conclusion.  While I believe that, if read seperate from the rest of the series, Final Empire is the best in the trilogy, I was still in awe of Hero of Ages. The amount of threads that all tied together at the end was astounding. I find that in this aspect you are the best author that I have ever read. Anyways, I love your work and adore this trilogy. Thank you for your hard work that you have put into both your works and the finishing of Mr. Jordans’.  You are truly a rare author.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 17, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »
I can finally join this conversation :)

Got HoA from my library (FINALLY) on Monday. Finished it last night (this morning? LOL).

I will be reading back a ways in this thread and will catch up soon :)