Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362500 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #555 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »
Just wanted to mention that Brandon confirmed on his blog that atium deserves its own allomantic table, for any who  haven't or don't read it.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

sirbeefstew

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #556 on: December 07, 2008, 09:45:51 PM »
It would also be possible for a planet to have a highly eliptical path which causes "seasons" due to the proximity of the planet to the star, and with a reasonably small axial tilt, the light could always have a low incidence angle.  In this case, to keep the north and south poles the same (allowing life to exist on the south pole) the axial tilt of the planet could be aligned tangentially to the arc of the planet's path when it is closest to the star.  This would make the two poles of the planet leaning toward the star when they are NOT closest, but also not farthest.

This would create some strange solstices, since the time which the planet spends near the sun is less than that time which it spends away (the velocity of the planet increases as it nears the star . . . see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_orbit for more info and read about the vis-viva equation).  This orbit path would cause the planet to spend most of its time facing nearly tangentially to the star, including both the nearest and farthest parts of its path around the star.  So for the north pole, summer could be when the planet is closest and when it is facing the star, fall is as the planet moves farther away, and winter is as the planet is farthest away and as it approaches the star again but is starting to face away.  While for the south pole, summer would be as the planet is approaching the star and facing it and when the planet is closest, fall would be as the planet begins to move farther away is is facing away, and winter is as the planet movest farthest away from the planet and is farthest from it.  Both poles would have the same progression of seasons, and if the axial tilt is enough, they could still have a day/night cycle.  The seasons might not all be of the same length . . .

But I am one of the believers in the "day-night" cycle being actually due to scadrial being so close to the star that it rotated about the star very fast, and the star was just smaller than our sun.  Mercury has an 88 earth-day year, so with a smaller star, it would be possible to be closer and have a fast year cycle.  There are stars with very close gas giants that have been found to have "years" which are a matter of hours or days, so it is certainly possible, and if the star is small enough it could be possible for life to survive provided that its albedo is great enough due to ash-cloud cover.  But that is must my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:48:20 PM by sirbeefstew »

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #557 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »
Okay, this may have been answered before, but do metals used for feruchemy and hemalurgy need to have the same combination of metals as allomantic ones? If so, how would weapons-grade steel be used for Spook's hemalurgical spiking?

GoryCat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:29 PM »
Concerning where the empire must be placed on the planet:

We know that the empire is at one of the "poles", but we don't know whether that means magnetic or axial.  Since Rashek moved the planet too close to the sun, the best place to put the people is wherever the least energy from sunlight is incident on the surface, or geometrically, where the surface of the planet is facing as little towards the sun as possible.  The magnetic pole can be more or less anywhere, so it would not really affect this property, and so I'll assume that we are at the axial pole.

The only data we have regarding the climate, aside from the ash which is artificial, are: the mists take over earlier in the third book in the outer dominances; and there are burnlands surrounding the empire, which are obviously due to the sun scorching the earth there.  The burnlands must be in a region that is essentially facing the sun straight-on, whereas the outer dominances should receive less sunlight farther into the day than Luthadel, since sunlight banishes the mists.  Honestly, these two facts are inconsistent, since the outer dominances are adjacent to the burnlands.  However, since the mists are not exactly natural, there might be another factor (like proximity to the Well of Ascension) that repels them from Luthadel, so I will discard this datum.

We also know that the day lengths are normal.  If they weren't, Brandon would have to have told us, because it would have a major effect on how people live: for example, the activities of Mistborn, who are out at night, or Vin's parties in the first book, which span a period of months but always take place at night.  Not to mention that the mists being out "all day" wouldn't be so much of a phenomenon if during the winter, day were essentially absent.  That means that whatever region the Final Empire is in, it doesn't really change its inclination towards the sun over the course of a year (much like where most of us live, which is at a middle latitude that tilts enough to give seasons, but not enough to give really wacky hours).

One solution is for the planet's axial tilt to be zero, with the Final Empire somewhere around Greenland: very high up, less of the sun reaches the surface, but the days are all exactly twelve hours long no matter the season -- of which there wouldn't be any, since there is no tilt.  Oops.  We could give the planet a very small tilt, restoring the seasons a bit; because of the more extreme heat of the sun, the seasons would be exaggerated to a more familiar level, without really affecting the day lengths.  The burnlands are then in a wide band around the equator, which is delimited by some combination of less sunlight and more ash.

A highly eccentric orbit is another way to create seasons: the intensity of sunlight is proportional to the inverse square of the distance to the sun, since that's how the area of a sphere is.  Also proportional to the square of the distance (roughly) is the area inside the planet's orbit.  Kepler's second law says that the time taken to make a certain part of the orbit is proportional to the area swept out during that time, so to get x% more sunlight during the summer, winter has to be x% longer than summer.  For someone at the approximate latitude of the northern US, where the seasons are pronounced, x is about 70, so for Scadrial to have seasons of normal temperature, their summers would be about 5 months long. It would also make the seasons uniform over the whole planet, while we know that Luthadel has milder seasons, and in particular, that the outer Dominances have snow, which seems to rule out the possibility that the ash is modulating the weather around the capital (since without the ash, on a hot planet the outer dominances would bake).

My conclusion: Scadrial has a small axial tilt.  Not really that exciting, but it fits the facts.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:23:27 PM by GoryCat »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #559 on: December 08, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Okay, this may have been answered before, but do metals used for feruchemy and hemalurgy need to have the same combination of metals as allomantic ones? If so, how would weapons-grade steel be used for Spook's hemalurgical spiking?

remember that its not "all or nothing." If an allomancer is burning Steel and the percentages are slightly off, the allomancer may be fine, or feel a bit sick. If its more than that bad things happen.

If the weapon-grade steel is not the exact percentage used by allomancers, it could very well be close. Spook might not be getting the full effect that pewter would normally give.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 09, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »
Also, I find it far too coincidental for that spiking to truly have been by accident.  Ruin had already managed to spike the boss of those Thugs, and could have convinced him to deliberately make his bodyguards' swords out of steel with exact allomantic proportions.

It could also just be that no known mix of steel is significantly superior to allomantic steel for swords and such, so that particular proportion became standard by default, though smiths may not be quite so careful about getting it exact when they're not making it for allomancers.

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 09, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000720.html

so I found out at a book signing that this is the real reason why TenSoon becomes a horse

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 09, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
Finally got to the end, now I can post what I have learned. When Brandon came to our Borders I asked him about Chromium and Nicrosil, here's what I learned: Chromium and Nicrosil do have a 1:1 power correlation to aluminum and duralumin, the catch is that you need to come in physical contact(skin to skin) for them to work.
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #563 on: December 09, 2008, 05:13:53 PM »
the catch is that you need to come in physical contact(skin to skin) for them to work.

Oh, now that's interesting....I wonder why it's like that for those two and none of the others.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 09, 2008, 06:24:15 PM »
the catch is that you need to come in physical contact(skin to skin) for them to work.

Oh, now that's interesting....I wonder why it's like that for those two and none of the others.

He said it was because he wanted to use a sense for each allomantic power : hearing thumping for Bronze, seeing lines for Iron and Steel, etc. and since he hadn't used touch yet he gave nicrosil and chromium touch.

EDITED for poor wording
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 09, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
Besides, if you didn't have to touch someone to use Chromium/Nicrosil, it would unbalance the magic system, in my opinion.  What good could a Mistborn do if some idiot Chromium misting pointed at him from across the room and wiped out all of his metals?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 09, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »
Balance may be the real reason, but the using-different-senses thing makes a good excuse. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #567 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »
Balance may be the real reason, but the using-different-senses thing makes a good excuse. :)

Definitely. I just wanted to make sure that there was a reason behind it--other than to balance. Because I think it's obvious that balancing the metals had something to do with it....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 09, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »

He said it was because he wanted to use a sense for each allomantic power : hearing thumping for Bronze, seeing lines for Iron and Steel, etc. and since he hadn't used touch yet he gave nicrosil and chromium touch.

EDITED for poor wording

I don't know about this. I mean if he wanted a metal for the senses and these two are the touch sense then what is Tin? I mean this is a general senses enhancer. And touch is enhanced.

I would tend to lean more to balance.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #569 on: December 09, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »
Tin, I would think, is a collection of all the senses. Same with pewter...

So the others he wanted to use specifically with other senses....