Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 359098 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:32 AM »
It  had to be steel, steel gives allomantic physical powers, and since it passed through a thug, it gave him pewter.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2008, 05:31:04 AM »

That wouldn't work with feruchemy.  Feruchemy invovles storing and releasing, what would you be storing for those powers, just because a few metals (pewter and tin) do similar things, that doesn't mean the other effects have to be even remotely similar.  If you look, the effects you have guessed really wouldn't work with feruchemy at all.
I'm still wondering about my inquisitor question by the way.
Oh, and I think I've guessed the shards as well.  One, I think is the Dor, whose physical body was shaped into Elantris, and the other is some sort of rest spirit, the blue lake is it's physical body.

I agree on Dor at least - I believe that Dor manifests through the physical area.

Then I took JADDETH (the Wyrn's god) to be another shard...originally revered as a "minor god" of things underground.  Obviously the Jaddeth worshippers don't see him in that light anymore.  However, I think we see manifestations that strongly imply that Jaddeth is a shard which runs counter to Dor and that Jaddeth and was trying to essentially kick Dor while it was already down.

Yeah, I pretty much said exactly the same thing earlier  ;).  When I think about it, there are striking similarities between Ruin and Jaddeth.  Not that they are the same, exactly, just the "dark" side of the two "Shards" that currently govern the powers on the Elantris world.  I'd be careful about considering either god "evil" since Sanderson's mythos seems to take the "two halves of a whole" approach; much like the Star Wars thing with equal-but-opposite "Sides Of The Force", the conflict between deities in Mistborn, at least, implies that each Shard has a different but equal power, and no one Shard can beat any other without outside help from...mortals.

Regardless, both Ruin and Jaddeth seem to be able to communicate with certain individuals; Ruin through spikes and Jaddeth through...whatever it is that Wyrn uses to commune with him.  Jaddeth's followers, like Ruin's, don't seem to mind borrowing (stealing, more like) powers from the other side -- Derethi use Sions to communicate (albeit in secret since it's big-time hypocrisy) while Hemalurgy is all about stealing power.  Also, though we don't know exactly what it is that Dakhor does to bestow power upon individuals, we know it's not pleasant.

That sounds about right to me, and the only flaw I find with your burn > store > burn scenario is that I think if you were to store all the gains you got from burning a Feruchemical charge, the hunk of metal would be too large to swallow.

Well, somehow the Lord Ruler was able to store youth (the book calls it "age", but really it's storing up youth because you grow older when you store it and become younger when you release it) in Atium and then burn the youth for an extra boost, then store the leftover youth in atium and burn that.  He accomplished quite a few other feats, as well, using his combined powers to give himself limitless "Health" to heal his body back from nearly skeletal remains after some rebels tried to burn him to death.  However, at certain times he apparently allowed himself to look like a weak, old man (although he was STILL burning Youth-Atium to decrease his age by about 920 years).
Not sure why he still wasn't strong enough or "healthy" enough to keep Vin from Pulling all those metals out of his body, but I guess she was just REALLY powerful thanks to the Mists...

syrenyx

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
just finished HOA last night. oh man. it was so good. i couldnt sleep afterwards.

im a little suprised gold was never used in the second and third books. but i guess there was no use for it...?
it would probably suck to be a gold misting...

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
Gold Mistings are the crazy homeless people you see on the streets of luthadel... the see what they could have been, had they not had the ability, and get depressed... It's one of those sad never-ending spirals into Allomantically-Induced Insanity...
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:27 AM »
just finished HOA last night. oh man. it was so good. i couldnt sleep afterwards.

im a little suprised gold was never used in the second and third books. but i guess there was no use for it...?
it would probably suck to be a gold misting...

Oh, yeah.  Big time.  You snap, it hurts like nothing else, and then you find out that your secret power is knowing that you could have married that gorgeous girl  you wanted to ask out in High School, but never had the nerve?  Not the kind of power I would want, frankly.  Sometimes we are better off not knowing.
Nature hates being reified.

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:12 AM »
The metal that Elend ate - I wonder if it has an alloy? Also, does Atium have a liquid and gas form?

Do allomancers (aside from pewter burners) ever get drunk from the alcohol they use to wash down their metals?

syrenyx

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 12, 2008, 05:31:29 AM »
Gold Mistings are the crazy homeless people you see on the streets of luthadel... the see what they could have been, had they not had the ability, and get depressed... It's one of those sad never-ending spirals into Allomantically-Induced Insanity...

hahaha. "should have saved that gold for something else..."

DrakeSparda

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
The metal that Elend ate - I wonder if it has an alloy?

The metal is called Larasium.

I believe it was stated that Larasium alloyed with any of the other metals would make a misting.  For example, if it was alloyed with pewter it would make a thug, and so on.  So it seems there could be 16 different alloys of it. 

I'm don't remember if this was stated by Brandon or just speculation.

But never the less, I highly doubt we'll see Larasium ever again so since Brandon has stated that there would be no Mistborn in a next trilogy.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
Oh my word. I cannot describe just how much I love HoA. It was incredible! Although I am very sad that Elend and Vin died....More so Elend, though. I have to admit, he had one awesome death. It's so similar to Kelsier's, and yet El's is more HA! In-your-face Ruin/Marsh (as opposed to Kell's I am hope, you can't kill hope, and then getting half his face whacked off)...I mourn for the loss of so cool a character. And I hope that they'll both (El and Vin) be able to come back. Sometime. I don't expect it to be in one of the later trilogies, because I think they've done their part. But maybe a short story. Something for the fans. Nothing big. Just closure. I think it'd be cool.

And since I've read through this entire thread (took me a while, too), I'll say some stuff about that. Allomantic sports would ROCK! I'd love to see it. Heck, I'd love to participate in them....Of course, I've been wishing I was an Allomancer (preferably Mistborn...) since I read FE almost a year ago.

And now I have one question. It's a combination of both Atium not belonging on the chart, and the 16% deal with the mists. If there are only 16 metals, and Atium isn't REALLY one of them, how could the mistfallen be Atium mistings? If you think about it (and I'm probably analyzing this WAY too much, but oh well), there are 16 metals on the chart, not counting Atium and Malatium. Even if we don't know the replacements right now, they're there. And technically Preservation would know about the other 2 (not Chromium and Nicrosil--Atium's base replacement and alloy). So wouldn't it include those in the Allomancers Snapped due to the mist sickness? And not Atium? Because if it includes Atium, that would make it 18 metals. Not 16. And then the percentage gets all messed up.....

Does that make sense? It does in my head, but I'm not sure if I worded it correctly.

Anyway, Brandon. You're pretty much my inspiration of what to do with my writing now. I am in awe over your mad writing skills. Wow. Just...wow.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
16 was a number that Preservation used in order to let people know he was doing something.   There is nothing that states exactly 1/16 of the people that fell to the mists were of each type of misting.   In fact technically some of those people potentially are also mistborn and that throws off the count even more.

I have a theory about the people staying sick longer.   I expect the method used by Preservation to snap the mistings doesn't mix well with Atium, hense why those people stayed sick longer.   I also wonder if "Atium mistings", I quote cause this is a name given by BS and not confirmed by book, could burn any and all alloys of Atium therefore not being mistings at all but rather Atium-born.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:18:14 PM by Shadowkiller »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
Oh, I know there's nothing that states that there was each kind of Misting. But there's also no evidence against thinking that....This also makes me wonder if there were Mistings in that group that were Mistings of maybe Nicrosil, or Chromium, or maybe the true External Temporal metals, but we just didn't know it--nor was it mentioned in the book--because the metals weren't discovered.

Hypothetical situation here. I'm thinking it's Chromium that's the external pairing to Duralumin. If I'm wrong, correct me. I wonder what would've happened if, at the exact moment when Vin was trying to take over Marsh, and burning Duralumin, a Chromium misting burned their metal, thus enhancing Vin's soothing. Would it have enhanced her Duralumin? So she'd in essence have a double Duralumin push? Would this have made it possible to control Marsh? What if this happened in the next trilogy, when Marsh isn't under Ruin's control, and if there WAS a Mistborn there.....Or maybe a Soother with a Hemalurgic Duralumin spike? Makes me wonder...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GoryCat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »
"Atium mistings", I quote cause this is a name given by BS and not confirmed by book

Actually, this is the same phrase that Yomen used for himself.

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »
Better late than never.  I finished the book last night.  I loved it.  The complaints I have heard, few and far between, are not within my comprehension.  Near perfect!!!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »
I have a theory about the people staying sick longer.   I expect the method used by Preservation to snap the mistings doesn't mix well with Atium, hense why those people stayed sick longer.   I also wonder if "Atium mistings", I quote cause this is a name given by BS and not confirmed by book, could burn any and all alloys of Atium therefore not being mistings at all but rather Atium-born.

The book uses both the terms "Atium misting" (it's the obvious method) and "Seer" (Yomen uses this one, and it's a very natural name for it) to describe someone who can burn only Atium.
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #464 on: November 13, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
The metal that Elend ate - I wonder if it has an alloy?

The metal is called Larasium.

I believe it was stated that Larasium alloyed with any of the other metals would make a misting.  For example, if it was alloyed with pewter it would make a thug, and so on.  So it seems there could be 16 different alloys of it. 

I'm don't remember if this was stated by Brandon or just speculation.

Brandon definitely confirmed it earlier in the thread.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.