Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 361515 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #435 on: November 07, 2008, 01:23:54 AM »
Ok I am gonna be honest...cream of corn? Does that really sound appealing to you? I would've at least gone for corn pudding; my grandmother makes a mean corn pudding. Brown sugar on top, mhmm...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

trytoguess

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #436 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »
Hmm, so there is confirmation... Guess I could add it to the wiki. I also think Mr. Sanderson will change the abilities in the future. If nothing else duralumin misting becoming completly useless except as hemalurgy victims sounds rather depressing.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #437 on: November 07, 2008, 02:38:08 AM »
Actually, I have this pet theory brewing that if one were both an aluminum/duralumin Misting and a Feruchemist, some interesting effects could be achieved.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Xabain

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 07, 2008, 03:12:48 AM »
Man I love this book and i love that all you guys analyze every aspect of it. It gives me plenty of material to fantasize about in my car during work.

trytoguess

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:35 AM »
Hmm, what could a Ferucamist with aluminum/duralumin do? I thinking maybe duralumin could flare a metal charged by a ferucamist, and the duralumin burn could agument the total energy  released, but aluminum seems to just make metals vanish w/o any benefits to the user.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 08, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »
There hasn't been much description of how Allomancy and Feruchemy overlap, except in a very indirect way -- we know how hemalurgy reacts with the others, but not what those two do.

Q for EOUL: Will we have to wait for the next trilogy to emerge before we get the Hemalurgic and Feruchemical properties of the yet-undefined metals from those (Electrum, Aluminium, etc.), or will they be released on the chart?

(and now to wait for the WAFO/RAFO...)
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 08, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »
Hmm, what could a Ferucamist with aluminum/duralumin do? I thinking maybe duralumin could flare a metal charged by a ferucamist, and the duralumin burn could agument the total energy released, but aluminum seems to just make metals vanish w/o any benefits to the user.

That wouldn't work with feruchemy.  Feruchemy invovles storing and releasing, what would you be storing for those powers, just because a few metals (pewter and tin) do similar things, that doesn't mean the other effects have to be even remotely similar.  If you look, the effects you have guessed really wouldn't work with feruchemy at all.
I'm still wondering about my inquisitor question by the way.
Oh, and I think I've guessed the shards as well.  One, I think is the Dor, whose physical body was shaped into Elantris, and the other is some sort of rest spirit, the blue lake is it's physical body.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 09, 2008, 01:06:35 AM »
I'm guessing EUOL won't be answering any questions for some time now, which if you think about it is actually a good thing. I'd much rather have him writing than spending hours reading over the forum and answering our questions!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 09, 2008, 01:55:02 AM »
Hmm, what could a Ferucamist with aluminum/duralumin do? I thinking maybe duralumin could flare a metal charged by a ferucamist, and the duralumin burn could agument the total energy released, but aluminum seems to just make metals vanish w/o any benefits to the user.

That wouldn't work with feruchemy.  Feruchemy invovles storing and releasing, what would you be storing for those powers, just because a few metals (pewter and tin) do similar things, that doesn't mean the other effects have to be even remotely similar.  If you look, the effects you have guessed really wouldn't work with feruchemy at all.
I'm still wondering about my inquisitor question by the way.
Oh, and I think I've guessed the shards as well.  One, I think is the Dor, whose physical body was shaped into Elantris, and the other is some sort of rest spirit, the blue lake is it's physical body.

I agree on Dor at least - I believe that Dor manifests through the physical area.

Then I took JADDETH (the Wyrn's god) to be another shard...originally revered as a "minor god" of things underground.  Obviously the Jaddeth worshippers don't see him in that light anymore.  However, I think we see manifestations that strongly imply that Jaddeth is a shard which runs counter to Dor and that Jaddeth and was trying to essentially kick Dor while it was already down.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 09, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »
I'm guessing EUOL won't be answering any questions for some time now, which if you think about it is actually a good thing. I'd much rather have him writing than spending hours reading over the forum and answering our questions!

He'll be back. He's still on tour. Give him time to get back and get a little caught up with things and he'll return. It was him who started this thread, afterall.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 09, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
I'm sure he missed the insane, ludicrous world of TWG whilst he was away writing over this past almost-year. He'll be back though, this place is like the mafia, once you get out... MUAHAHAHAHA.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

D1RTNAP

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 10, 2008, 04:18:34 AM »
Ok, so I apologize if I missed it, but I'm afraid I did't have time to read more than Brandons posts here looking for this answer.

If a person has both Feruchemy, and Allomancy, it seems possible to me that a person could burn a metal such as pewter, for strength and while burning it store that enhanced strength in a pewtermind for use later. Is this possible, or did it perhaps happen and i missed it somehow. Im thinking here that if an allomancer gains say 300% strength with buring pewter then saves that enhanced strength in a pewtermind over a long time could they gain much more strength in a shorter storage time.

Also, if this is true, then could that person take the same piece of metal that his enhanced strength is stored in, and burn it for a doubled charge? or am I going way off in left field with this?

Now that I have that burning question out, Thank you Brandon for this GREAT series of books. I like many others have found you thru your being named to finish AMOL, and I think Harriet made a Rockin choice. I've read Elantris and loved it as well, and look forward to reading anything else you ever care to write.  :)

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
That sounds about right to me, and the only flaw I find with your burn > store > burn scenario is that I think if you were to store all the gains you got from burning a Feruchemical charge, the hunk of metal would be too large to swallow.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Zenen

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2008, 01:19:19 AM »
Ok Question, Does a piece of metal have to be injested to be used? Or could a spike be used to fuel a power? Like the spike that was in Spook could he burn it or dd it just give him the ability to burn pewter that he had swollowed?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:58 AM »
Ok Question, Does a piece of metal have to be injested to be used? Or could a spike be used to fuel a power? Like the spike that was in Spook could he burn it or dd it just give him the ability to burn pewter that he had swollowed?

Spook is an allomancer, which means he can only use metals by ingesting and then burning them. He was able to use pewter (by ingesting it) because a hemalurgic spike gave him the ability.

The spike itself was not pewter (it was a sword, so I'm assuming it was steel :) ), so he couldn't burn it for pewter-like uses, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:42:53 AM by ThankfulNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/