Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362434 times)

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:04 PM »
Yes, one of them will allow you to burn away all of someone else's metals while the other allows you to make someone else have a similar effect to burning Duralumin.
That doesn't follow the patterns of the other metals.   If you notice the way metals work, one pair effects people, the other pair effects metals.   For instance, Tin and Pewter effect people, Iron and Steel effect metal.   Brass and Zinc effect people, Copper and Bronze effect metal.   Gold and Electrum effect people, I'm of the opinion that Atium and Malatium don't belong on this table for many reasons, one of which is because they also effect people and not metal.   Aluminum and Duralumin effect metal, the other pair should effect people directly.   You'll notice that also tin and pewter are on the inside of the circle and effect people, brass and zinc are on the outside, gold and electrum are on the inside, chromium and nicrosil are on the outside.   This table is very organized and follows many patterns.   What you claim does not follow the patterns.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
If the planet is tilted a lot less than Earth, but still tilted a little, it could have seasons that aren't extreme and the day length would not be very different from summer to winter.

Also, the seasons could be due more to the distance from the sun than to the axial tilt: but that would mean that seasons would be more extreme on one pole than on the other. For example, if we assume that the Final Empire's seasons are due mostly to distance from the sun and the planet is not tilted at all (I don't remember; how much does the book talk about day length changing as the seasons progress?), then north and south poles would have summer at the same time instead of at opposite times like on Earth (our Earth is actually slightly closer to the sun during northern hemisphere winter; our seasons come mostly from axial tilt rather than sun distance).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 03, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
If the planet is tilted a lot less than Earth, but still tilted a little, it could have seasons that aren't extreme and the day length would not be very different from summer to winter.

Also, the seasons could be due more to the distance from the sun than to the axial tilt: but that would mean that seasons would be more extreme on one pole than on the other. For example, if we assume that the Final Empire's seasons are due mostly to distance from the sun and the planet is not tilted at all (I don't remember; how much does the book talk about day length changing as the seasons progress?), then north and south poles would have summer at the same time instead of at opposite times like on Earth (our Earth is actually slightly closer to the sun during northern hemisphere winter; our seasons come mostly from axial tilt rather than sun distance).

Perhaps that very detail is the glitch that TLR couldn't take into account...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Yes, one of them will allow you to burn away all of someone else's metals while the other allows you to make someone else have a similar effect to burning Duralumin.
That doesn't follow the patterns of the other metals.   If you notice the way metals work, one pair effects people, the other pair effects metals.   For instance, Tin and Pewter effect people, Iron and Steel effect metal.   Brass and Zinc effect people, Copper and Bronze effect metal.   Gold and Electrum effect people, I'm of the opinion that Atium and Malatium don't belong on this table for many reasons, one of which is because they also effect people and not metal.   Aluminum and Duralumin effect metal, the other pair should effect people directly.   You'll notice that also tin and pewter are on the inside of the circle and effect people, brass and zinc are on the outside, gold and electrum are on the inside, chromium and nicrosil are on the outside.   This table is very organized and follows many patterns.   What you claim does not follow the patterns.

3)  The last two metals are Chromium and Nicrosil.  We'll reveal what they do on the Allomancy poster.  Suffice it to say that in the next trilogy, the main protagonist would be a Nicrosil Misting.  And, to make a Robert Jordan-type comment, what those two metals do should become obvious to the serious student of Allomancy...  (It has to do with the nature of the metal groupings.)

If I read the poster correctly, and have the correlations down, these metals are the external enhancement metals.

The simplest idea is that they do to another person what Aluminum and Duralumin do to the Allomancer burning them.  If this is true, then Chromium would destroy another Allomancer's metals (useful skill, that, especially in a group of Mistings fighting a Mistborn) while Nicrosil would cause the target's metals that are currently burning to be burned in a brief, intense flash.  This could be used either to enhance a group of Mistings or to seriously mess up an enemy Allomancer.

Nicely done.
Someone else already asked about it and EUOL confirmed it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #394 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »
Of course his next line in that is:
Ookla is right, the others don't have 1/1 correlations.  But I liked this concept far too much not to use it.

In other words, it doesn't fit the pattern.   When I originally read this, I took it to mean that he liked what happyman said so much that he couldn't not use it.   To me it meant that it wasn't what he originally intended it to do which is why I fight on to find the original intention as this idea doesn't fit.

If its true that this is how BS intended it to work, I will be very disappointed because I was very excited about patterns and the idea of unknowns that we had to guess and if he won't even follow his own patterns then there is no reason for the scientists of us out there to even try.

To me, this isn't the obvious result to a serious allomancy student as BS indicates.   There is no correlation to Internal vs External within the groupings.   For instance, Brass, Zinc, Copper and Bronze are all technically external to the allomancer.   Tin, Pewter are Internal, and Iron and Steel are External.   Whether or not BS confirmed it, it doesn't fit the patterns.

If BS is going to say something like:
what those two metals do should become obvious to the serious student of Allomancy...
Then it is my opinion that his system should follow the pattern and maintain the 1/1 correlation.

I will keep searching for the real intended use that does follow the pattern and fight against this.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »
How could it not fit within that?  You say it needs to affect the people.  It's their body that is burning the metal.  So it's affecting how their body interacts with the metals not necessarily affecting the metals themselves. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
Ookla is right, the others don't have 1/1 correlations.  But I liked this concept far too much not to use it.

I guess he did say that... I' slightly disappointed, now. Everything else, he's so meticulously figured into a pattern, avoiding obvious parallelisms, yet maintaining logical steps between both types of pairs within a section...

Anyway, last night my roommate and I (he's only on the second book, but he figured out that there were 16 mistings a while ago) were discussing the genetics involved in Allomancy. It's been an interesting discussion, seeing how he's a bio major, and I think he's still in his room now trying to figure it out, lol.

Pre-post Edit (new posts...):
How could it not fit within that?  You say it needs to affect the people.  It's their body that is burning the metal.  So it's affecting how their body interacts with the metals not necessarily affecting the metals themselves. ;)

If that's the justification, then Aluminum and Duralumin effect the user's body, not their metals.

I could see Chromium suppressing metal usage, but probably not outright burning off metals. Still a bit lost on Nicrosil...
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »

If that's the justification, then Aluminum and Duralumin effect the user's body, not their metals.

I could see Chromium suppressing metal usage, but probably not outright burning off metals. Still a bit lost on Nicrosil...
Yeah exactly.   In that example, they both effect metals in the same way.   Look at the Mental group.   One pair effects people's emotions, the other detects and protects people using metals.   The one has nothing to do with metal at all, but the other effects both the people and the metal together.   That is exactly how the Enhancement group should work.   One effects the people and the metal together, the other should not effect metal at all.   I could see Chromium and Nicrosil effecting other people in the same way Tin and Pewter effect oneself.   That would at least follow the pattern.   That is also unlikely though as no other metals mimic the abilities of another group.   In any case, I continue my efforts to not only redefine what the metals do but to also to find the last two metals(in place of atium and malatium) and determine what the last four metals do/are supposed to do according to the patterns and not according to Brandon's misdirection(The tables at the back of the book are misdirecting us IMO).

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
i'm falling very behind in these forumns.

Here's something that has been bugging me though.
If Inquisitors all have the feruchemical power of gold, where do they store health.  At first I thought gold spike, but pewter gives feruchemical physical powers, and gold has no hemalurgic use.  So do all inquisitors wear goldminds?

"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2008, 11:24:22 PM »
i'm falling very behind in these forumns.

Here's something that has been bugging me though.
If Inquisitors all have the feruchemical power of gold, where do they store health.  At first I thought gold spike, but pewter gives feruchemical physical powers, and gold has no hemalurgic use.  So do all inquisitors wear goldminds?

ZOMGSH IT'S COMA!  They would have to IMO.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
Gold has no hemalurgic use we know of, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. They wouldn't just wear goldminds if that's all they were, they'd make sure they were piercing, so Mistborn couldn't yank on them.

WB Comatose, long time no see.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2008, 02:03:54 AM »

Yeah exactly.   In that example, they both effect metals in the same way.   Look at the Mental group.   One pair effects people's emotions, the other detects and protects people using metals.   The one has nothing to do with metal at all, but the other effects both the people and the metal together.   That is exactly how the Enhancement group should work.   One effects the people and the metal together, the other should not effect metal at all.   I could see Chromium and Nicrosil effecting other people in the same way Tin and Pewter effect oneself.   That would at least follow the pattern.   That is also unlikely though as no other metals mimic the abilities of another group.   In any case, I continue my efforts to not only redefine what the metals do but to also to find the last two metals(in place of atium and malatium) and determine what the last four metals do/are supposed to do according to the patterns and not according to Brandon's misdirection(The tables at the back of the book are misdirecting us IMO).

You and I probably have nearly identical charts and theories about the REAL second set of temporal  metals somewhere on our computers SK - Mine is in Google docs if you want me to share.  Looks like you're putting up yours on your wiki though so I can just throw in anything you missed if you like.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »
You and I probably have nearly identical charts and theories about the REAL second set of temporal  metals somewhere on our computers SK - Mine is in Google docs if you want me to share.  Looks like you're putting up yours on your wiki though so I can just throw in anything you missed if you like.
Absolutely!   Feel free to fill in before I get there too, I'm always behind :).

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:27 AM »
So noted ^_^

Forloc

• Level 2
  • Troll Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #404 on: November 04, 2008, 04:20:02 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to read through all of this.  I hope I don't miss out on anything too important.  Thank you, Brandon.  this book series has been a true joy in my life.  I missed out on seeing you at UVU when you spoke in October.  I don't think you'll ever understand how much this trilogy has meant to me, and I mean that in the SAPPIEST of ways.

I have one question that will hopefully answer a lot about your writing.  Does the name Mahonri Moriancumr mean anything to you?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:21:58 AM by Forloc »

My Photo Album
When you argue with forum trolls, they win.