Author Topic: BOOK OF MORMON  (Read 8513 times)

daman

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
BOOK OF MORMON
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:35:46 AM »
SCAM?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: BOOK OF MORMON
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:42:37 AM »
Please read site rules.

Quote from: rules

SECOND ITEM: Avoid 'spam' posting.
Spam posting is when you post a short, pointless post to a thread without contributing anything.   When you post, try to make certain that your post is on-topic and valuable to the discussion.  Don't divert the thread, and don't simply post a smiley face or a 'lol.'  Many of the forum users employ the 'show the last ten posts' function to see what topics are hot.  If all they get are a bunch of one-word posts, they tend to get annoyed.

FOURTH ITEM: Be polite. Â
I can't stress this enough. Â Being insensitive to others' opinions is a failing of both newcomers and long-time posters. Â Try not to contribute to this atmosphere. It is good to have strong opinions, and it's even better to have opinions that are different from those of other posters. Â The forum experience is about discussion and disagreement. Â However, you can disagree with someone without calling them names or otherwise insulting them. Â Be nice and respect people's differences.

TENTH ITEM: Â Starting threads.
You are welcome to start new and interesting threads for people to discuss in. Â However, don't spam here either. Â Think carefully about your new topic--is it in the right category? Â Is it something the rest of the forum will be interested in? Â Is it something that, perhaps, might be better as a single post inside of an already-established thread? Â (Such as 'cool things found on the internet.)

2:  There was no explanation as to why you think the way that you do.  Therefor it qualifies as spam.

4:  Many of the people on this forum are Mormon.  Blatantly saying that their religion is a 'scam' is rude.  You could argue validity, IF you provided useful discussion information. 

10:  There are many topics about this already.  One of which being General Religious Discussion

EDIT:  Also, this belongs in either Rants and Stuff or Books
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:58:45 AM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

daman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
I saw that South Park episode about Joseph Smith.  Are you saying they are wrong?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:40 AM »
I'm not saying anyone is wrong.  I am just saying that the topic should have been better thought out before posted, because as it stands, it breaks three rules as well as one unofficial rule.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »
Quit poking the troll, you'll just encourage it.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:05 AM »
Lan made a carreer out of troll poking. But yeah. This thread can't serve any purpose but to stir hard feelings between people.  Personally I'd like to see it locked.  I don't value the Book of Mormon so it's not as if I'm defending my own beliefs when I suggest we deep six this toxic thread.  I just think it's going to offend people needlessly.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »
He deserves the same chance anyone else does.  It could simply be his first forum.  ;)

Besides, reply in kind also allows other's to see the rules too.  These types of threads can be useful for users that join near the same time they are posted.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:50 AM »
Moving to rants.  Not going to lock yet, but I'll keep a wary eye out.  The first hint of flaming will end up in a lock-down.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:18:05 AM »
any argument which calls one religion wrong, especially when opposed to another, can easily be applied in the reverse. There is no evidence that Mormonism is any less valid than, say, Judaism. It just happens to be a "newer" religion..  or really, branch of Christianity...  as opposed to other religions. you could easily argue, even more poingiantly, than Islam, Hinduism or Christianity itself is a scam by virtue of their age and lack of direct translation.

For the record, I am an athiest and have no allegiance to or for any religion.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
The same argument also applies to Atheism, Naturalism, and similar ideologies.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
And also if you were truly Atheist you would be against all of these religions because Atheism revolves around the though of there CAN'T be any supreme being, so claiming no allegiance for them as some sort of support in your arguments just makes you look bad.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
And also if you were truly Atheist you would be against all of these religions because Atheism revolves around the though of there CAN'T be any supreme being, so claiming no allegiance for them as some sort of support in your arguments just makes you look bad.

I disagree.  Just like followers of any other belief, atheists can't all be lumped under the same umbrella.  There are personal atheists who just don't have personal religious beliefs and there are militant atheists that wish to destroy religion in all forms.  And there is every shade in between.

Anyways, to answer the original question, I'm going to quote a professor of mine that sounds a whole lot like Sazed.  Every religion has value.  What they believe may not be 'True' (capital T for an absolute Truth), but they are true for that culture and help shape it.  It's a Freudian concept, actually.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Book of Mormon (as I'm told, I haven't read it, yet, because I'm not Mormon) teaches values and morals very similar to the New Testament.  So if you're coming from a Judeo-Christian background, I'd have to argue that you should have nothing against what the Book of Mormon preaches, you just might disagree with the details.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
Atheism -

1.   the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2.   disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

All major dictionaries have the same definition.  They completely deny the existence of supreme beings.  That is the definition of Atheism.  What you are trying to say is basically the same as saying you can be Christian and not believe in Jesus at the same time.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
Atheism -

1.   the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2.   disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

All major dictionaries have the same definition.  They completely deny the existence of supreme beings.  That is the definition of Atheism.  What you are trying to say is basically the same as saying you can be Christian and not believe in Jesus at the same time.

People are living oxymorons :D There are people who would call themselves Christians and yet not trust in Jesus Christ for their salvation living everywhere. Of course, just because someone calls themselves something does not mean that they are that thing...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
As an athiest, I do not believe in the existence of a "god" if you will. I do not "deny" the existence, since the extent of denial belies the existence.

I, as a person of morals, believe that it is each persons right to choose to believe in God, or god, or Mother Earth, or Moon Pies, whatever does it for you, it is your right as a free person. Being an athiest does not make me "against" anyone else, no more than someone being a Christian makes them against Islam, or someone who is Mormon being against Catholics.  The act of being "against" someone of another faith is an act of arrogance and superiority, which breeds contempt, which breeds violence. And again, the belief of the person matters not, it happens to all, regardless of faith.

Being of a specific set of religious beliefs only implies that you believe that you are correct and all others are wrong. Whether you are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or athiest does not matter. I believe I am right and you are all wrong, and thats that. You are free to believe that I am wrong, as I am sure ALL of you do. How can you not? That is part of the belief. But you have absolutely NO RIGHT to attempt to define my belief, as I have no right to define yours. And really, that is the crux of this entire post. One person who does not believe in Mormonism trying to define it.

And this I ask:

Why do you have to be against someone for their belief or lack thereof? Why does it alsways have to be "If you are not with me, you are against me"? I am not agaisnt anyoen simply because  of their beliefs. That is a personal thing for them. It harms me not that they might be Christian, or Wiccan, or whatever they might be. It would seem to me that those who constantly have to batter others based of their looks, their faith, or their orientation, are really not quite comfortable with themselves and seek to put down others in an attempt to lift themselves up.

And I feel sorry for anyone who feels that need. I am confortable with me. Why can't you be comfortable with you?