Author Topic: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours  (Read 114608 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »
Smashed my knee in rehearsal today. Intense pain. No marks, which is weird (but good).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2009, 01:27:40 AM »
Rehersal for what?
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
The school play (OLIVER!).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2009, 02:10:53 AM »
I'm thinking Shags must be playing Dodger, but then that might be type casting. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2009, 02:12:42 AM »
Lol. I, for one, think Dodger is a pretty awesome character…;-). But, no. I'm Oliver.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
Being an Apple developer I can download the newest stuff for my iPhone.

Being this I have the 3.0 operating system installed on my phone.  Basically just because it allows mms messaging and the landscape keyboard and copy-pasting and text forwarding.  All of which you couldn't do on the v2 operating system.  These are all nice things and I like them.  So apparently last night they released the newest beta of the 3.0 software.  So this morning I work up to a pink screen.  So now I can't use my phone until I update the software.  This is being annoying and I MIGHT have to find one of my friends with a Mac and stuff which would be super annoying, because I only have a few friends with Macs and I have no idea when they would be free.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
Four things:

1) This is what happens when you use beta software to do important things. As a CS major, you should know better. ;)
2) How did you perform the OS update in the first place, if you don't have a Mac? I don't own an iPhone (but I do own a Mac), but can't you install OS updates via iTunes in Windows?
3) Are you doing iPhone development under Windows? I hear that's possible, but hard.
4) You can find VMWare virtual machines with Leopard installed if you look hard enough. Not to encourage bootlegging or anything...I'm just sayin'.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:43:10 PM by ryos »
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »
Itunes has a special networking gimcrack to provide appleshare on windows.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 09, 2009, 06:31:18 AM »
1) I had to use a friends Mac to put the OS on there.

2) This time I was able to update, but the first time, in order to install the 3.0 software (which has a completely new bootstrip and such) so you are required to have the new Xcode environment as well as the SDK to install it properly and activate.)  Lucky I was able to extract the DMG and get the IPSW and update to the newest beta.

3) No I'm not currently developing apps, though I might start once I buy a mac.

4) That's only illegal in the end user agreement.  A company could install mac onto a PC and then sell it to consumers. >>'  Just saying.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »
A company does, and they have an antitrust suit in the works that claims Apple is violating the Copyright law by attempting to use it to control resale terms.  That company is buying a license and media at retail and then reselling rather than retail apple's products and Copyright laws have always held that the original licensor can't control that.  It's a like TOR trying to control the sale of TOR books at used books stores.  The law just doesn't support it.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2009, 06:56:52 AM »
Renoard is talking about Psystar. The suit in question was started by Apple. I haven't heard anything about it in a long time; I'm very curious to see where it goes.

Also, the bootlegging I was talking about is downloading a copy of Leopard when you don't own one. Regardless of whether or not the VM aspect is illegal, the downloading of a bootlegged copy certainly is.

I've played with a VM of OS X client. Frankly, it's not a very good experience; it runs slow as molasses. I've also used VMs of OS X Server, which Apple has allowed official VMware support for, and the experience is much, much better (akin, in fact, to running any other OS in a VM).

BUT, it probably would allow you to fix your iPhone. :)

I'm grumpy right now due to the evil homework monster. I've been ignoring him to work on learning Cocoa (which BYU misguidedly does not teach), and he's very upset with me right now.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2009, 07:02:43 AM »
Objective C kind of stinks as a working environment.  Ryos, Miyabi, have you looked at gnu's cocoa compatible?  It's runs on linux and on top of cocoa with a compatibility layer similar to gtk.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
Renoard, I've yet to find ANYTHING I couldn't make run on Linux. ;)  I've never ran cocoa before I think.  I don't know, I've ran way too much on Linux to remember everything I've used for this or that.

I did get my phone fixed this morning though.  The reason I'm using the beta OS is because of all of the new things it has that were just annoying to not have. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2009, 08:02:35 AM »
Are you talking about GNUStep? I don't really know much about it, and honestly, "runs on Linux" isn't much of a plus in my book. Linux is fantastic for server software, but for workstations I'd almost rather use Windows (which, coming from this Mac user, is saying something).

As for Objective-C stinking...frankly, I don't know what you're talking about. Though I haven't gotten terribly far (stupid school), what I've seen has been just fine. Far more sane than C++, which feels like it was dropped on its head as a child. Also, so far I've been pretty impressed with the Cocoa frameworks. You get a lot of rich functionality for very little code. The book I'm using has me routinely churning out little tutorial programs with surprising regularity. Writing the same apps in Java Swing (the only other GUI kit I've worked with) would have been far more involved and painful.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
Well,
I meant that I (and a majority of programmers) seem to find the syntax of the OOP extensions alien and counter-intuitive.  C++ for all it's flaws leads more naturally into pure 4GLs like Modula/Delphi and C#.  I love C89 and it's derivatives, but that's not one that works for me.

And yeah I meant GNUstep. :)

Only reason I mentioned Linux was that maybe coding for GNUstep would be a means for Miyabi to continue coding.  If pnet or mono get to the level of commercial viability I'll be willing to code for Mac too. ;P  I'm pulling for pnet I like their security model better.  Frankly, as a developer I have no intention of turning my code over to a central repository for analysis or management.  :'(