Author Topic: Who are Mat and Perrin *CAUTION SPOILERS AND YELLOW TAPE*  (Read 5308 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Who are Mat and Perrin *CAUTION SPOILERS AND YELLOW TAPE*
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
OK we know who Rand was in his previous incarnations but what about the other Taavern? I personally think due to the old blood being so strong in Matt that he is Aemon (Last king of Manetherren). Perrin has me frankly stumped however, any thoughts?

You can also include minor characters such as Galad or whomever if you think of it...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Who are Mat and Perrin *CAUTION SPOILERS AND YELLOW TAPE*
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
I like the Aemon theory and I have heard that one before, I think it's an intuitive leap to that idea. Thom seems to think everyone was someone before, and Mat is constantly called things like the Gambler, the Trickster and the Fox.

Perrin is an Old soul I think, maybe one that hasn't been out in awhile even. I doubt that we will get any confirmation though it is fun to contimplate.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I think Perrin was a wolf in his previous incarnation.  :P

Mat ... Hmmmmm... There is definitely a link to Manetherren, but I never got a strong inclination that Matt was ONE person reincarnated. He has all those different memories in his head, and it seems to me that some of them were from different people who were alive in the same age. I'm not sure if all the memories he has now are memories from his previous incarnations, or if the Aelfin just dumped a bunch of different souls memories into him.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »
I think Perrin was a wolf in his previous incarnation.  :P

Mat ... Hmmmmm... There is definitely a link to Manetherren, but I never got a strong inclination that Matt was ONE person reincarnated. He has all those different memories in his head, and it seems to me that some of them were from different people who were alive in the same age. I'm not sure if all the memories he has now are memories from his previous incarnations, or if the Aelfin just dumped a bunch of different souls memories into him.

I'm pretty sure most of Matt's memories were just random memories the Aelfin dumped into his head.

He does seem to have some ancestral memories, but those seem more like Lamarckism than any soul-related dynamics.
Nature hates being reified.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »
Mat is most likely Aemon (if he is in fact someone famous and not just "spear holder #3"); Perrin is a tough one, but I like the old soul idea, who knows maybe he was a wolf

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
I really like the idea of the wolf.  It would explain why the dream world is not crawling with wolves if they could be reborn into people.  I doubt that everyone who is born is a reborn soul though.   If this was the case the population would have to be stable.  I don't think that Mat is reborn from anyone.   I do think that both Mat and Perrin will later be tied to the wheel.  I would like it to happen to Hurrin as well because Arthur Hawkwing hinted to him that it was possible

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
I doubt that everyone who is born is a reborn soul though.   If this was the case the population would have to be stable.
Well, at least the population of the real world + the dream world + any alternate soul-habitats (such as other creatures?) would have to be stable.  Which could very well be the case.  Not that I think it's a slam-dunk by any means, just that it's possible.
He ate my horse.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
It gives to some interesting questions when you take into account souls being balefired and thus ripped from the pattern. It could be a bit like the Hindu belief system that a soul would work it's way up or down the Spiritual ladder so to speak. Those that are attached to the Horn have achieved a type of Nirvana.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
OHHH i just remembered the dream he has after the dagger is removed PROVES MAT IS AEMON!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
It does?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »
Yeah don't you recall it's a battle scene where he is ordering the manetheren armies against a much larger force of trollocs and he uses the battle call that has a relation to Aemon's wife who else would use that cry?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
that's pretty thin imo. he has so many memories that he could be "proved" to be anyone. sure he might be Aemon, but he also has the memories of people fighting on both sides of the same battles. just saying, just cause he used one battle call doesn't prove anything - perhaps that was a common call in that time.

I hope Mat isn't anyone special reborn. It would dull his character imo if he was. I would much rather him be his own person. Perrin I couldn't care less about - unless something awesome happens to his character arc, he is expendable.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
Actually that's before his trip to the Rhuiden Finnland so any memories are his own or somewhere in his genetic past if you want to go that route.

As for Perrin being expendable I disagree  I think he's the one they are going to need AFTER Tarmon Gaiden to be a builder of things.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »
Actually that's before his trip to the Rhuiden Finnland so any memories are his own or somewhere in his genetic past if you want to go that route.

As for Perrin being expendable I disagree  I think he's the one they are going to need AFTER Tarmon Gaiden to be a builder of things.

thats a good point about Finnland (good use of the word lol). it may have come from his past, but it still doesn't come close to proving who he was in a previous life, if anyone. plus, i would think the dead heroes of the Horn would have called him by a name if he was someone THAT important (like they did with Rand).

i hope Perrin has a sweet purpose. he was a favorite of mine in the beginning, but his arc right now is more flat-lining than pulsing.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 12:13:28 AM »
LOL
Finnland. . . So the terangreal is trademarked Nokia(tm).

Yeah the whole lot of them had episodes of spouting the old tongue.  So, it's possible Mat is Aemon.  It's just as possible that Perrin is.  Perrin's path is taking him toward reconstituting Manetheren.  Mat is becoming Matrim the first of the restored Empire of Tanreall.

Speaking of which I still think a certain someone should take the name Shah'min meaning precious and the spelling should be Seamin in deference to the Keltic spelling that Rigney liked.  (e.g. Sean Chan)  I know some people will read an off color miss pronunciation, but must we allow salacious minds to control everything?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.