Author Topic: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions  (Read 15155 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
All my books are read, Looking for suggestions
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
Alright, I've finished reading everything on my bookshelf today and now I am looking for something else to read.

I just finished Worldbinder by David Farland, which I really liked.
Last week I read The Hero of Ages, before that I read Tithe and Valiant by Holly Black. (Loved Valiant).
I've recently read the Age of Fire books and Fall with Honor by E. E. Knight.

I've got a few series of books that I haven't finished yet, but then again I am not sure I really want to finish them, they are:

The Merry Gentry Series by Laurell K. Hamilton. I finished Mistral's Kiss. I am a huge fan of all things Fae and Sidhe but the sex is pretty overboard. Not sure if I want to read about any more enchanted, spiritually enlightening, gangbangs.

The Merchant Princes by Charles Stross. I think I finished book two, The Hidden Family and stopped. Anyone know if anything really exciting happens in books 3 or 4?

The Dragonriders of Pern. I think I finished book one and then Well of Ascension came out.

The Thomas Covenant books. A lot of people have told me they are great, I think I got near the end of book two and got bored.

Books that I loved:

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. My all time favorite books.
The Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust.
The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Gregory Keyes.
The Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon (I wish she would put out another one already, is the woman dating George R. R. Martin or something?)
The Ender books.
The Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott
The Farseer books by Robin Hobb.
The Fae Fever series by Karen Moning
Name of the Wind

I just don't know what to start on next. I think I would actually really like something along the lines of Valiant or the Merry Gentry series. I like the Fae, Faerie, Sidhe, Tuatha de Danna, etc. I really loved the Fae in Name of the Wind. I don't mean like Tinkerbell but I really like dark Fae from old folk tales, etc. Anything with that kind of a feel would be awesome.

Any suggestions?  ;D
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
well, since it appears you enjoy fantasy novels, I will recommend my favorite. Tales of a dying earth, by jack vance. This book actually has alot of history to it, it inspired many elements of D&D. It also has references in some video games (for example, zork, if you ever played it, grues are from this book.) The first book is just a series of short stories, but the second and third are all about the same guy. You can get them in one large collection, and i HIGHLY recommend it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:20:45 PM »
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher gets into the the whole Fae thing after a book or two. Book 1 is Storm Front.

Raymond E Feist wrote a novel titled Faerie Tale that was decent.

Tad Williams wrote War of the Flowers which I enjoyed.

If you want Dark Fantasy and are willing to go away from all things Fae, then I recommend R Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before. It isn't an easy read though, and most of the stuff on your list doesn't have much of a steep learning curve.

Steven Erikson is amazing, but his stuff has an INSANE learning curve. Gardens of the Moon is the first book, but it is considered the weakest of the series by far.

Considering some of the authors you seem to be reading, Urban Fantasy seems to be high on your list. I recently met Kat Richardson, and her stuff is getting good reviews. Greywalker is the first novel.

I am expecting my copy of Age of Misrule 1: World's End by Mark Chadbourn, but the description of it has a feel to it that might be to your liking. And the cover is freaking awesome. I just re-read the synopsis, and it seems to be very much in line with your tastes. Book 1 was just released in the US with books 2 and 3 coming in June and July.

Hope it helps. They don't call me Bookstore Guy for nothin...

EDIT: I also forgot that Simon R Green's Nightside series and Secret Histories series go a little Fae at times as well. They are good quick reads.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:36:50 PM by Used to be an Important Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered World's End off of Amazon.  ;D It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I've been meaning to read Faerie Tale, you also just reminded me that I've been wanting to read Little, Big by John Crowley which is supposed to be really good, won the world fantasy award and was nominated for a hugo and nebula.

I keep meaning to read the Dresden Files, my friend really likes them and I even liked the TV show. Are the books better then the Tv show? (Ducks)

I am adding War of Flowers to my list.

I've often thought about starting on the Steven Erikson series but just haven't yet. Just seems like a lot to devote to one series right now.

The Darkness That Comes Before sounds really interesting, I think I will pick that up as well.

I'll have to check out Tales of a dying earth too. Thanks for all of the good suggestions.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:52:55 AM »
You may want to try out "Dune" by Frank Herbert, as well, if you haven't already read it (I'm not sure how much you've ventured out into Sci-Fi).  It's Sci-Fi, but quite good, and contains some fantastical elements.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Little Big by Crowley.  Shelley's original Frankenstein and Stoker's Dracula

I'd suggest some hard scifi like Dragon's Egg by Dr. Foreward and Eon by Greg Bear.

Round it out with some Sci Fantasy, like (if you can get a copy) And the Devil Will Drag You Under and The Four Lord's of the Diamond by Chalker.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »
Little Big by Crowley. 

Man I hate you. So today when I was ordering books I remember that I really wanted to read Little, Big but I couldn't remember what it was called. I searched online for about 3 hours trying to find the title and finally found it. An hours later, you suggest it.  :P

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
snicker
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »
I'd recommend against Frankenstein unless you're a glutton for punishment.  That book is terribly tedious, and the questions is asks seem significantly less pertinent today than they were at the time.  Dracula is still good, however.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered World's End off of Amazon.  ;D It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I've been meaning to read Faerie Tale, you also just reminded me that I've been wanting to read Little, Big by John Crowley which is supposed to be really good, won the world fantasy award and was nominated for a hugo and nebula.

I keep meaning to read the Dresden Files, my friend really likes them and I even liked the TV show. Are the books better then the Tv show? (Ducks)

I am adding War of Flowers to my list.

I've often thought about starting on the Steven Erikson series but just haven't yet. Just seems like a lot to devote to one series right now.

The Darkness That Comes Before sounds really interesting, I think I will pick that up as well.

I'll have to check out Tales of a dying earth too. Thanks for all of the good suggestions.

The Dresden novels are better than the TV show - I will admit that I'm a little sad the TV show got canceled since I think it was just beginning to hit it's stride. Of course, it was contending with Supernatural which is of a similar theme.

As for The Darkness That Comes Before, I'll give you the warning I give to everyone: it's really dark. When I say dark, I mean it. If you are easily offended (or not so easily for that matter) you may want to think hard before picking this up. The first book is very heavy with psychology and philosophy, with an ending that is NUTS. The following books get heavier into action.

Erikson does require an investment of time, I'm not gonna lie. The complexity of his series puts nearly all others to shame.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
Anything by Roger Zelazany (he blends Sci-Fi and Fantasy on an ungodly level has 6 Hugo's and 3 Nebula's) is good and most classic Sci-Fi such as Dune and Foundation
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
As for The Darkness That Comes Before, I'll give you the warning I give to everyone: it's really dark. When I say dark, I mean it. If you are easily offended (or not so easily for that matter) you may want to think hard before picking this up. The first book is very heavy with psychology and philosophy, with an ending that is NUTS. The following books get heavier into action.

Erikson does require an investment of time, I'm not gonna lie. The complexity of his series puts nearly all others to shame.

Now you've got me wanting to read The Darkness That Comes Before even more. I don't mind dark, few things in fiction bother me. (About the only thing I've ever stopped reading because of content was the Merry Gentry books, even though the setting, story and characters were cool, I got sick of reading about gang bangs that lasted 4 chapters. . . and I still might go back and finish them dammit).

I'm kind of curious what you mean by complexity, just keeping track of plots, characters and who's doing what? Is there anything that you could compare it to?

I've actually thought about starting on them for a while now but I've been kind of jumping from novel to novel lately, trying new things. I've also been looking mainly for things involving the Sidhe and Fae since they are important in the book I am working on. I'd love to find something featuring Scandinavian type Trolls, not the big dumb hairy ones, but the magical faerie type ones. So far the only book featuring one I've found is Holly Black's Valiant (which I recommend to anyone, I really liked it. I've heard a rumor that they are making a movie out of it). 

(Nevermind, I just looked it up and they ARE making Valiant into a movie, MTV is doing it and it comes out next year).

Anything by Roger Zelazany (he blends Sci-Fi and Fantasy on an ungodly level has 6 Hugo's and 3 Nebula's) is good and most classic Sci-Fi such as Dune and Foundation

RZ is my favorite Author. If I was smart I would just go and read anything of this that I haven't read yet. LOL, I was actually reading chapter one of Nine Prince in Amber before I posted this, just to compare how he started out his book to how I am starting out mine.

I should also mention that the list I gave above is just what I've read in about the last six months. I've read a ton of other stuff. A lot of people suggested Dune and I've read some of that series (my buddy got me to read God Emperor of Dune first, then I went back and read books one and two I think, I stopped on the one about the Duncan clones).

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
Erikson has more happen in a single novel than most people have happen in entire series. Martin is absurdly simple by comparison, as is everything done by Jordan (which most people consider the more "complex" and "involved" series). There really isn't much out there that is comparable to Erikson. Scott Lynch (who is awesome) gets some of the humor that Erikson manages to put in there, and Joe Abercrombie (who is awesome) gets some of the grittiness that Erikson has.

Glen Cook (who is awesome) told me that reading Erikson is like seeing the movie Platoon for the first time - the brutal reality of it all mixed with people who become larger than life. My personal opinion is that while Cook is like Platoon in a fantasy setting, Erikson is like Platoon on every steroid known to man in a fantasy setting mixed with all of the social and political gears of intrigue. Book 1 is confusing. Book 2 (especially the end) makes you think that Erikson is pretty good. Book 3 makes you wonder why you hadn't started the series years ago.

And Erikson helped get R Scott Bakker (who is more than awesome) published. That's how I discovered Bakker. To me, after I read those two, I feel like the guy who just had the most awesome Porterhouse steak who is then forced to going back to the 4.99 special at Dennys.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
Erikson has more happen in a single novel than most people have happen in entire series. Martin is absurdly simple by comparison, as is everything done by Jordan (which most people consider the more "complex" and "involved" series). There really isn't much out there that is comparable to Erikson. Scott Lynch (who is awesome) gets some of the humor that Erikson manages to put in there, and Joe Abercrombie (who is awesome) gets some of the grittiness that Erikson has.

Glen Cook (who is awesome) told me that reading Erikson is like seeing the movie Platoon for the first time - the brutal reality of it all mixed with people who become larger than life. My personal opinion is that while Cook is like Platoon in a fantasy setting, Erikson is like Platoon on every steroid known to man in a fantasy setting mixed with all of the social and political gears of intrigue. Book 1 is confusing. Book 2 (especially the end) makes you think that Erikson is pretty good. Book 3 makes you wonder why you hadn't started the series years ago.

And Erikson helped get R Scott Bakker (who is more than awesome) published. That's how I discovered Bakker. To me, after I read those two, I feel like the guy who just had the most awesome Porterhouse steak who is then forced to going back to the 4.99 special at Dennys.

So . . . you're saying I should take the time to try these Malazan books?   ;D

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »
if you have time sure. However. if you are like myself and my good friend, you like your covers and editions to match. if you are this way, i may suggest either importing them from England (a tad expensive, but then you could grab a copy of Dan Wells' I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER as a bonus) or wait till May and pick up the better covered trade paperback:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765322889/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239914478&sr=1-4

The US covers (minus book 2) are terribad. seriously. this new edition of the US book looks much better.