Author Topic: Help with a research paper.  (Read 1539 times)

blarsen83

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Help with a research paper.
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
I am doing a research paper for a creative writing class and need to do an interview with someone. I am doing it on why Brandon Sanderson get chosen to finish the Wheel of Time book. The interview can be with anyone. So, I am going to put just a few questions on here and hope someone answers them. I want to thank anyone who responds in advance.

Note: I have read all of Brandon Sanderson work, but only one of the Wheel of Time.
1. Are the characters in Brandon's work similar to those of Robert Jordan?
2. Do you think there is something about the world Sanderson created that helped him get chosen?
3. In what ways do you think the writing of Sanderson and Jordan are similar?

I can use anything. So simple answers will work. Please email me @ [email protected]

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a research paper.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
Does this site allow this kind of posting? I can't count how many times someone is doing a paper and asks people to help them with their homework. *shakes head* No matter what fandom it is there's always one cropping up.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
1. Are the characters in Brandon's work similar to those of Robert Jordan?
Obviously Vin is a direct rip off of Min, note similarities with their names. Both books have a big guy named Ham too.

2. Do you think there is something about the world Sanderson created that helped him get chosen?
Clearly Mr. Sanderson's great work on the Way Of Kings novel is what got him this gig. From beginning to end that masterpiece will forever be the pinicale of fantasy writing

3. In what ways do you think the writing of Sanderson and Jordan are similar?
Mr Sanderson using English. Mr Jordan did as well. I think they also wrote big books, that's pretty close to the same

I sure hope that helps you learn a valuable lesson about the purpose of doing research and homework

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »
Shard, sometimes teachers give homework assignments where the assignment is to go out and interview people. There's nothing wrong with a post like this if that is part of the assignment. In this kind of assignment there aren't wrong or right answers, just a collection of real-world opinions. The only way to cheat on this assignment is to not ask anyone and to make up the answers yourself. (Or to make up the answers after you decide you don't like what the people you asked said.)

I would answer the questions except that right now my brain function is reserved for something else.

All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
I have zero reculection on a Ham in WoT...refresh me please...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »
1. Not that I've seen. I don't even think Min and Vin are that similar, but whatever.
2. It was actually Mistborn that impressed Harriet enough to offer him the job. I don't think she chose him because the worlds are similar (they're not), but because she thought based on that work that he could do it.
3. They're only similar in that Sandarson also writes big epic fantasies. Additionally, Sanderson has stated that Jordan is one of his influences as a writer.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
I have zero reculection on a Ham in WoT...refresh me please...

Well there is a Hamad that's one of Bashere's men, but I was actually thinking of Han the "short" Aiel clan chief.

honestly my answers were not intended to be serious as it appears to me that they are trying to get someone else to do their homework for them. However then I noticed that his initial post did have Interview in it, so I apologize humbly for being a jerkfish :-)

so to rephrase my responses

1. I would say that they are similar in that both are well written and have a feel of "real" people. In that they seem to reflect real people it's easy to see similarities as there are in any real people

2. My understanding is both his work on Mistborn and his Eulogy that can be found on his website both went really far in him being selected.

3. I agree with others. They both write big epic fantasies. Where they differ greatest is that Brandon's seem to wrap things up fairly neatly and don't go off on quite the tangents that WoT has to this point. They rank among two of my favorites.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:04:17 PM by IngtarWasFramed »

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:57 AM »
1. Not that I've seen. I don't even think Min and Vin are that similar, but whatever.
Well, they've both got that kind of rebel/boyish thing goin' on.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:46:37 AM »
Yeah but Vin had alot of emotional hang ups, Min never has at least not to the degree of Vin.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »
That we know of. Vin was MUCH more of a central character than Min, so we spent less time with Min than Vin.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:25 AM »
I think we've been with Min enough to be told what Min's hang ups would be if any. So far the only thing was her visions and having to be careful about them. I think it's just incorrect to say that Min is a ripoff of Vin or vice versa. I mean while they both hate being in dresses Min is still comfortable with being herself far more then Vin was.