Author Topic: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art  (Read 26795 times)

Shard

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
What does word count have to do with story quality? Perfume is one of the shortest novel's I've read and it certainly is NOT a YA book nor a bad one for it's brevity.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
What does word count have to do with story quality? Perfume is one of the shortest novel's I've read and it certainly is NOT a YA book nor a bad one for it's brevity.

absolutely nothing. i've read long books that were fantastic (Erikson), and short that were great (Wells, Green). and its not like 150-200k is brief by any means. thats actually pretty long. most books average 100K. however, YA is typically shorter. it has nothing to do with quality, just length. but being short doesnt mean it will be a YA book - your example of Perfume is just one example.

on the subject of WoT, my personal feeling is that I  would rather have them "shorter". by shorter i mean 275-300K - Eye of the World size (it was 300K). There were many cases were I felt that length in the WoT didn't equate to quality.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
Not as great in complexity? Come again? He may not have created a world in which you can fluently speak elvish like tolkein but the court intrigue ect. matches any other epic series i mean Aes Sedai are the equivilant of Bene Gesserit...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »

I completely agree. The Old Man and the Sea is my favorite novel of all time (it's actually a novella, but anyway). And in that compact little story, is more complexity than in the entire WoT series.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
I could care less about created languages. I'm just saying that the series isn't complex at all to me. To me, it's extremely straight-forward. To me, it's like reading a long version of Eddings. The political intrigues aren't all that amazing to me. The complexity of this series pales in comparison, once again in my opinion, to the likes of Martin, Erikson, and Bakker.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
I love how YA is suddenly "rinky dink" and less worthy than a book written for adults. And just so you know, 200,000 is about 2-3 YA novels.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
I could care less about created languages. I'm just saying that the series isn't complex at all to me. To me, it's extremely straight-forward. To me, it's like reading a long version of Eddings. The political intrigues aren't all that amazing to me. The complexity of this series pales in comparison, once again in my opinion, to the likes of Martin, Erikson, and Bakker.

Long version of Eddings?!?! That's like saying Stephanie Myer is as good as Bram Stoker!
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
I love how YA is suddenly "rinky dink" and less worthy than a book written for adults. And just so you know, 200,000 is about 2-3 YA novels.

exactly. some YA kicks the ass of adult fiction.

Long version of Eddings?!?! That's like saying Stephanie Myer is as good as Bram Stoker!

No, it's not (as she isn't even in the same ballpark as Stoker). Forgive me if I don't think that Jordan is the end-all/be-all of fantasy authors. Once again, this is my opinion after having been exposed to authors who's works I consider superior and much more enthralling. I loved Jordan just like I loved Eddings, but that was a long time ago. Now, I consider Jordan a more detailed and MUCH longer Eddings. It's not a put-down, just they way i view it. I respect them both for what they brought to the table, and have learned from both of them. But like I said, I personally don't think Jordan is the best, and I dont find his novels complex.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
I didn't say Jordan was the end-all/be-all but he certainly doesn't go around giving his characters names like "Queen of the world" or "Man with two lives". Not once as Eddings ever managed to surprise or shock me with his plot, not once have I had to go to the internet to figure it's plot out like I have with Wheel of Time.

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2009, 04:45:58 AM »
It is ok, everyone ahs their own likes.  I for one think Jordan is good as it gets.  I don't think his writing is superior to Martin or some other guy that is good but I do think that his story is the best.  And as his writing isn't bad in the least, he is my favorite story teller.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
It is ok, everyone ahs their own likes.  I for one think Jordan is good as it gets.  I don't think his writing is superior to Martin or some other guy that is good but I do think that his story is the best.  And as his writing isn't bad in the least, he is my favorite story teller.

You nailed it there. Throw a million names out there for who is the "best writer" and I couldn't care which really is the best. Robert Jordan is the best author, in my opinion, because he is the best story teller. I really could care less about form and procedure just give me a fantastic story. Which is exactly what Robert Jordan did. Of course there are plenty others that can spin quite a tale, Martin and Sanderson to name a few, but Robert Jordan is definately my favorite.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »
 I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and certainly there are those I think that would like Martin, Sanderson, and Tolkein better then Jordan. But to say Jordan is the longer version of Eddings? That's just insulting.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
It's all a matter of personal taste. You say the reason you like Jordan is because you feel the plot is complex and it has caused you to go online to figure it all out. You also said that Eddings never managed to shock you with a plot twist, which is part of the reason you dont like him as much. I never said I didn't like either of them. When my kid starts getting into reading, the works of Eddings and Jordan will be on his father-imposed list of material. However, by your same argument, I can say I prefer other authors more than Jordan. Never once have I been surprised. I haven't felt the need to go online and figure out the plot, because it was too obvious to me.

Also, I think you are taking someone's opinion (mine) on an author's work (Jordan) too personally. I'm not insulting anyone. If you think Jordan is the best, great. I disagree. Just like I think Erikson is the best, many of you probably disagree (though I'd suggest you read the full series before judging). You might say he's overly complicated for your tastes, or like a longer more detailed version of some of Cook's stuff. It's not an insult, it's an opinion of personal taste.

Everyone thinks that SOMEONE is the best storyteller. They aren't right or wrong.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
All I'm saying is that Jordan is better then Eddings, not that he's the best.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2009, 06:13:48 PM »

My favorite book series of all time is a middle grade reader.

:-[
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”