Author Topic: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art  (Read 28842 times)

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »
Aaaaaand confirmationComplete confirmation of everything but the cover. >:(

This may take some time to figure out how to properly express my rage without resorting to death threats or otherwise getting dismissed for being too rabid and irrational.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
Now I have the right to be really pissed off. *sigh* 3 books!!!! Tor=fail atm.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
I think it was an intelligent decision.  Maybe three is too many, but I'm not in the publishing industry so I can't say for sure.  I think though, that this will give Brandon A LOT more publicity and he will become more popular.  It will do well for his carrier I believe.  I think it will be nice to have it come out in multiple volumes and give time for reading and rereading before the next section comes out.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
Three books is fine.  Three books at one year intervals when they'll be ready long before that is not.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
Douglas . . . did you not read the article?  All three will be out within a two year time frame.  Which gives you about 8 months between them, which I think is reasonable.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
Yes, I did read it.  Unless I am greatly mistaken, "released over a two-year period" means release dates of November 2009, November 2010, and November 2011.  This, when the speed of the progress bars seems to indicate that all three should be ready with time for editing probably by May 2010.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »
I wasn't sure the three year thing was confirmed or not. I suppose we have to take what we can get, not much we can do about it. Just trust in Brandon to get us a good three part story. :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Yes, I did read it.  Unless I am greatly mistaken, "released over a two-year period" means release dates of November 2009, November 2010, and November 2011.  This, when the speed of the progress bars seems to indicate that all three should be ready with time for editing probably by May 2010.
Apparently I forgot how to do math. O.o  Sorry.  My bad.  I guess I was thinking a within two years from now they will all be released. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
I'm ecstatic about getting 3 more WoT books at 1 year intervals. I love reading WoT, so the more the merrier. :) One year between releases is WAY less then I've ever waited for other epic fantasy series. Heck, I won't even be done with my re-read of the first 11 books by November. I'm sure I'll buy The Gathering Storm when it comes out, but I may not get around to reading it until mid 2010.

I understand people were really excited for the series to be concluded and find out how it ends this year, but personally, I'd rather read a few more WoT books before finding out how it all ends. :)

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
And now we have Brandon's take on it.  Apparently the two year span is a somewhat conservative estimate, and Brandon's own estimate of completion time has gone up significantly.  Cancel the angry email, I'm still a little annoyed but it seems it's all for acceptable reasons.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
We are very lucky to have Brandon writing these books.  It is great how much he cares about the story line and the series.  With all there is to finish, a normal-sized book could basically say, "And Rand won (or lost), the end."  I'm much happier that everything will be written out, as there are MANY story lines I've been waiting to see played out.  I am very excited for November!

(I've just realized I've come a long way, as I hate waiting for books and have complained about the length of WOT for a long time...but I've realized that I want the ending to be done right).

I also feel SO bad for Brandon working so many hours!  The worst part about these books taking so long for me is that he won't be able to publish his own series.  I need Way of Kings/Alcatraz!!  I know he'll still work on those, but it doesn't seem like he'll have much time.   80 hour weeks with a wife and baby...is tough, I'm sure.

Good luck Brandon (even though I seriously doubt you'll have time to read this)!  Thanks for your hard work and courage to risk people being mad at you to finish the book right!

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
I'm stoked and I have no complaints. People who are complaining need to lighten up a little...(not really here, just other places I've seen) I think I'm just as emotionally invested in these books as the average rabid fan, but I'd rather read a well-written finale to the series than a crash-course to the finish. I think people who are complaining now about waiting longer would complain even more loudly if the book was crappy.

Keep up the good work Brandon! We really appreciate all your hard work for us fans!! :)
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »
Wow 300k surprised me actually, I won't be shocked if it goes back down though. I think this will also apease those that didn't want TG to go the length of just one book, now it will be three. I have to say I'm even more impressed with Brandon after reading this, he really seems dedicated to this.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
this is where everything I have been saying in this thread is justified. like I said before, the last estimate I heard was "at least 750k" (that's what Brandon told me a while ago) - so, splitting it into 3 made a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

and you people didn't believe me when I said he was putting in crazy hours on this book.

so yeah, be happy. you are getting 3 FULL WoT books over the span of 2 years (2 and 1/2 if you count from now till the release of the first one).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »
It seems to me that a lot of the fan anger is due to Robert Jordan's broken promise.  That promise has turned out to be essentially un-fulfillable, even (as Tom and Harriet have both said) if he had lived to attempt to fulfill it himself.

I remember when he first announced his illness, that at that time he basically promised his fans that he wouldn't die before finishing the writing he had planned.  His estimate at that time was that the stories he wanted to tell would take another 30 years, so he intended to live that long at the very least.

If he'd been able to keep this second promise, then he would be around to take the flak for the breaking of the first promise, which in my opinion would be right and fair.  Robert Jordan, not Tor or Harriet or Brandon Sanderson or the bookstores, deserves the blame for this situation.  But fans cannot admit that they are angry at their favorite author who's lost his courageous battle to a terrible disease.  So they transfer that anger to others, who didn't make the rash, stupid promise that is now being broken.

I always think it's a bad idea to make promises that are not in your power to keep - promises of outcomes over which the person making the promise has limited control.

I commend Tor, Harriet, and especially Sanderson for their excellent handling of this whole situation which, in my view, was not their fault in the first place.  It seems to me that they've made the best decisions they could with the cards they were dealt.  I'm confident that they'll continue to work towards getting the best book they can out, as quickly as is practical.  But I seriously hope that Sanderson especially will not sacrifice his marriage, his family life, his health and sanity, or his own writing in an effort to assuage the wrath of the Jordan fans.
He ate my horse.