Author Topic: [MISTBORN RPG] Your wish lists, please  (Read 8395 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: [MISTBORN RPG] Your wish lists, please
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 04:59:58 AM »
I'd prefer:

No prestige class business.  It doesn't seem to fit the mistborn world.

I personally don't think Steel Inquisitors would make a very good natural PC class.  Maybe in a supplement?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eleaneth

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
BTW, I don't like supplement books. Then I have to pay more, it's harder to find what I'm looking for, etc... I like simplicity so the average player can understand how things work.
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »
BTW, I don't like supplement books. Then I have to pay more, it's harder to find what I'm looking for, etc... I like simplicity so the average player can understand how things work.

honestly, I love supplements. Minus the cost thing, of course. Without them, an RPG is doomed to be the same way it is forever, with no added options/flavor/backstory/variety. Besides, it's almost impossible for one book to cover anything and everything you'll need.

But that's off topic. What does everyone think metal tracking and usage should be? I can't really see anything outside of a "power/magic point" type system, but i still think this doesnt feel right.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
I think two constant rates for burning metals should be implemented.
One rate for normal burning and one for flaring.
Everyone burns/flares/uses the metals at the same rate though with differing efficacy due to skill/power.

Each metal has a constant percentage which is multiplied by the usage rate to determine how fast or slow a certain metal burns. Because we know that certain metals burn slower than others.

So:

M= amount of metal in milligrams (mg)
t= time
R= M/t = burn rate (how much is burned per unit time) (mg/s)
R= M^2/t = flare rate
m = metal constant (ex. m_Iron = 1.5; m_Pewter = 0.35)
B= amount burned (mg)

Say a normal burn is 2mg/s
and the flare rate is 4mg/s

B=mRt

So if you have 10 mg of Pewter which you burn for 10 seconds... B= 0.35*2*10 = 7 mg burned
The person has 3mg of Pewter left.

Now, actual output of power (P) would be related to amount of skill (K) and the amount burned.
It could be a straight linear relationship, or there could be a constant based on the type of action taken.

I have not accounted for gravity, friction, or an opposite push on your push/pull, mainly because I just thought of this very quickly and am not even sure it would work....

I think I may have unnecessarily complicated things though...
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »
I think the most realistic way to do it is to only keep track of Pewter and Atium mathematically. The other metals don't seem to run out fast enough to make a big difference, but the GM could always say, towards the end of a prolonged battle, "your iron and steel are running out" or something.
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension

KrispyXIV

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
First post, and mainly because I'm so psyched for this game!

First, I think classes are too limitting for most games.   Especially when your skillset is going to be as important as your super powers, I think point buy is the way to go!  Especially in this setting, with such a diversity of characters to choose from.  It also has a built in limit for mistborn: at character creation, you can buy one misting ability, or all of them.  No in between.   Maybe offer a discount to make it doable, but making the limitation for mistborn inherent for character creation would be a good thing.   Having additional perks + skills related to the abilities would be a great way for characters to improve their abilities in that area.

Second, I think that most hemalurgy is not a good thing to put in the hands of players.  It should have detailed rules, but should mostly remain in the hands of the GM.  Other games, like the new star wars and Shadowrun, turn fallen characters (see The Dark Side and Blood Magic etc.) over to the GM because at the point they lose their free will to the Big Bad, because they really cease to be adventurers/good guys.  I think that's a good thing unless you a playing a 'certain sort' of campaign.  That's not to say a bit of hemalurgy wouldn't make for great character development...

Finally, the thing I hope most for in this game, is that it prioritizes fun over strict rules for every little thing.  Keeping some things deliberately abstracted never hurt anyone, and gives the players more freedom to do things as they like.

Thanks much for putting all your hard work into making a game for all of us to play  ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »
I was just thinking today.  Did anyone ever play FFXII?  The way the skills/class table thing worked on there would be an awesome way for the skills here to work.  (Like your every day skills and how well you can use your branch of Allomancy.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

khowhl

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
Hey all :)

I don't know if this topic's still hot but I'd like to throw my two cents in here.

First, concerning the game system, I'm no fan of D20 and other very mathematical systems. The less counting and option the bigger the space for the story and the characters. The game system is going to be tricky to design specially for the metal burning and how it can vary from an individual to an other.

Maybe something inspired by the White Wolf's Storytelling System could be interesting, like pools of points one can spend and a global Allomancy or Feruchemy skill/trait that represents one's knowledge about burning metal(s) or filling/tapping metalminds.

E.G.
Allomancy :
Each Misting/Mistborn has an Allomancy score. That would represent how much they can burn per turn, and how akeen to the burning they are. Each vial would restore metal points, and then the GM could refer to an action table that summarizes the most common actions and the cost in metal points to get enhanced effects. Allomacy skill could act as a multiplying ratio.
Don't know if I'm making sense here but the idea is still not fully formed in my mind :p

Then, concerning time settings, I'd rather play after TLR's ascension, before the Collapse. Probably at the time when the Mistborns and Mistings were numerous and more powerful.

What would I really want to see in the RPG ? Well, tons of background, anything that helps describing this dark world, the weighted atmosphere, the despair and yet the tiny spark of hope. Then, I'd love more information about culture, about the Steel Ministry, about the nobility and their politics.

In conclusion, I'm expecting Crafty Games to make up a decent magic system that will be fluid enough to avoid calculation on a large scale (no D20 !), that will allow easy character creation and mainly give room for narration.
Playing characters in a world we love is all this is about, isn't it ? :p