Author Topic: Call o' Cuthy  (Read 3307 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Call o' Cuthy
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
anyone else here play Call of Cthulhu? Got any good stories, or past gaming experiences? My group *loves* this game, but we currently aren't playing a campaign of it.

However, they've expressed interest in doing so, so I've been working on a campaign (complete with some custom rules for various things) I think is kinda neat. Most of my players have never read any works of HP Lovecraft and crew, so they don't know many of the rich histories and such behind some of the stuff they see when we play. So the campaign I'm working on has the basic idea ripped off from the video game eternal darkness. Basically, the players are in a house where a friend/relative/whatever recently died and, at his request, are staying there for 2 weeks before the final will reading. In this time, the players find and read texts, following hints and clues left by the deceased person. Each text they read puts them in a "Flashback" scenario that replays some classic lovecraft stories/histories/scenarios. I've taken some stories and turned them into scenarios, some histories of various books and done so, and some actual historic events and put lovecraftian twists on them.

Edit: also, if anyone is interested, I can post all of the notes I've made. note that they are rather generic, and "fill in the blank" style for yourself, and I don't currently have any maps or anything.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:23:47 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Call o' Cuthy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
I've ran a few CoC games before.

Mood is absolutely essential for CoC, even more so than a regular d&d gaming session. The few times I've run campaigns I dimmed the lights (not too dim, enough so people can see, but dark enough to be kinda eerie) and put on some mood music to play softly in the background (on my laptop). I also had a bunch of random "scary" sound effects that I had downloaded and I ninja-played them wicked loud to psyche people out.  :D

Seaoftrouble

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Call o' Cuthy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »
I have run many a game  of CoC it's my favorite system if you pretend the d20 version does not exist. The concept of CoC using levels makes me nauseous (if a possessed 7 year old shoots you with a shotgun you should die I don't care how much experience you've accumulated) . I love many versions of D@D but keep it out of my Cuthulhubutter.

It's initially difficult to get players to take the plunge into a game where death comes so easily but once they experience that edge of their seat excitement and creep factor that comes from a well run Call of Cuthulhu game they can't get enough even if there on character number three.

A quote from me "Call of Cuthulhu is not about if your character dies but how your character dies ;D"     

Don't get me wrong I have run plenty of CoC games with characters that survived but they never take walking into a creepy old shack for granted.
This Post has been brought to you by Dyslexia and I.