Author Topic: Ham vs. Lan Showdown  (Read 10106 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Ham vs. Lan Showdown
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Who would win in a fight the thug or the warder?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Ham vs. Lan Showdown
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »
Well, that depends on the conditions of the fight. I'm assuming that Lan gets his sword, which means it's only fair if Ham gets his weapon of choice too. If Ham gets a staff, then Ham wins. I think that Ham, having been a Thug for a number of years, would at least equal Mat's skill with a staff. Not only that, but Ham gets all of the advantages of a skilled Pewterarm. Mat managed to take on Gawyn and Galad simultaneously. Galad would later become a blademaster, and Gawyn isn't far behind. Lan is very good; I will say that he is probably better than either Galad or Gawyn. I don't think that he is better than both of them put together, though. And even if he were, he would have to be quite a bit better to counter the advantages Ham has over Mat.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:23:42 AM »
If Ham is allowed to burn Pewter then Lan should get the Fancloth cape.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:48:13 AM »
I don't think having the cloak is going to do anything in the fight. I think that Lan could beat Ham if they both had swords, but if Ham had a staff he would win.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Not much of a contest if you ask me. Strength and speed aren't everything. I'm not saying Ham is untrained or anything like that, he is very proficient in combat. I just don't think they are in the same league. Lan has carried a sword from the cradle. He was trained by the very best. Now he is the very best Warder in the White Tower.

Thats not why I think Lan will win, though. Its his spirit, his will to fight and die to accomplish his objective. He is truly willing to die. He will just put more into the fight than Ham will.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
Any conditions set forth - Lan Wins!!!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
Depends–does Ham have enough pewter to last the whole fight (perhaps flaring)? If yes, then he would win. No contest. He could just slam blow after blow into Lan, possibly even breaking his sword. Lan wouldn't even have a chance to fight back.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 04:06:49 AM »
These types of discussions are always funny because of the rationalizations that people allow their minds to run with, like the old Batman vs. any other super hero that has super powers. I am about to share an actual conversation I witnessed between a Robert Jordan fan and a Mistborn fan regarding Lan vs. the most powerfull Mistborn ever.

MBF: "By the time you even think to reach for your sword, I'll have iron-pushed on it and sliced you in half."

RJF: "Too bad I didn't even bring my sword to the fight 'cause I knew I would not even need it."

MBF: "Ok, I'll just shoot this coin through your skull and then sip some lemonade."

RJF: "Gotta find me first. I have my fancloth cape on and am completely invisible."

MBF: "As the most powerfull Mistborn ever, I can see the trace metals in your body; I know exactly where you are."

RJF: "Unfortunately I had a mouth full of metal powder and spit it into the air, forming a big cloud, effectively blinding you so I could sneak in close enough to slice your head off."

MBF: "You didn't bring your sword, remember and Pewter allows me to withstand anything else you can deal out."

RJF: "In the confusion I had quickly fashioned a rudimentary sword out of a stick and some obsidian, held together with straps of fancloth from my cape."

MBF: "Why didn't you just use some leather rather then....wait, I don't care, it's your cape. Besides, it doesn't matter; I am burning Atium so I saw your attack coming anyway."

RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction. Get him Rand! Pew Pew! Buzzzzzzz!"

MBF: "You're an idiot."

RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Now obviously, one of these fans has allowed his bias to cloud any rational thought. First off, it's steel-push, not iron. Second, we don't even know if Luthadel had any lemons. I would also like to clarify my opening statements: witnessed is probably too strong of a word, perhaps imagined more closely represents my involvement.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:43 AM »
I would also like to clarify my opening statements: witnessed is probably too strong of a word, perhaps imagined more closely represents my involvement.

Haha....Nonetheless, I loved it. It was awesome. Especially The Princess Bride part at the end. Classic, to say the least.

On-topic. I'm not sure. It's been a while since I read WoT, and even then, I only got about half-way. Lan was...really good. Ham's really good too. And everyone here has made some very good points. I think I'm going with Ham...Although he definitely would come out pretty scraped up himself...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
I think it would be a draw.  They would both die.  I have yet to see Lan fight (except what I've heard from others), but I just know that Ham would probably fight (if it was life or death) until he just flat couldn't anymore.  Then he would flare his pewter up so that he didn't feel anything and keep fighting.  Once he won the fight he would be too beat up to do anything because he would be too badly injured.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »
VegasDev's post is win. that's how it always goes down

hahahhahahaha that's AWESOME

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
I don't think pewter burning would make you a good warrior.  I would think it would be just opposite.  You would rely more on brute strength then true skill.  When someone does that they would end up loosing to a truly skilled person who knows how to turn that strength against you.   Granted this is most likely not the case with Ham so I am going to say it will be a draw so that I make both sides of the fight mad at me. :D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
I'm not saying he would use it to make him a better warrior, he would do it so that he could continue fighting, even after he should be long dead.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
Lan. Because Lan is an UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUT!!!1!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
It is a silly argument, really.  The way Pewter burning is described, Ham would not only be much stronger, but much faster and more dextrous than a normal person.  Lan would have to at least match the speed and dexterity naturally.  The Khodi (Oneness) only helps so much.  We have also never seen Lan fight someone with a quarterstaff.  We have also never seen Lan lose, ever.  Even fighting 5 at a time (New Spring).  I am leaning towards Lan, but he would need to overcome a lot to win.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.