Author Topic: I seriously hate my major . . .  (Read 14498 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: I seriously hate my major . . .
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
Ha ha.  I definitely know that feeling. xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 05:01:29 AM »
In case anyone was wondering.  I have been seriously thinking about this and I am done with this major and I'm going to look at some of the colleges I recently got packets from.  I hope that everything works out this way.  I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I'll never know if I don't just go out and try can I?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 05:20:12 AM »
Most people change their majors at least once if not multiple times. I was a Chemistry major for one semester before switching to Linguistics after my mission. And then in my last semester of Linguistics I realized I didn't really want to work in the field and definitely didn't want to study it further. :) (Linguistics is not the same thing as languages; I still like studying languages and colloquial usage.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
i changed from Illustration to Business Management. as you can imagine, a majority of my art credits weren't accepted in the business school...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
i changed from Illustration to Business Management. as you can imagine, a majority of my art credits weren't accepted in the business school...

I think they should have. Create a new, fun proffesion, abstract accounting.

"Now, we're going to convert your cost of goods from dollars to cubism."
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
How about starting as an art major, taking a tour in electronic engineering, Systems Analysis then ending up dual majoring with a BST.  Talk about trouble juggling credit try nearly 200 undergrad...

Don't get me started on the three minors.

Sigh!  I miss school maybe if I get rich I'll go back.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »
Yeah i start UTD in the fall and i have no clue what i want to do i'll end up having like 4 dual majors when i finaly i decide i want to be a drug dealer or a telemarkter or something just as offensive to society and have no use for my education... :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »
I minored in Astronomy, and the professors in the 400-level classes were all confused because they'd never had a student who wasn't a physics major or at least a physical sciences major—they were assuming I had all sorts of upper level math classes, but those weren't required for the Astronomy minor.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 03:01:48 AM »
I started out as a Philosophy major, but never got very far into it before changing to English.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 03:45:37 AM »
I started out in Chemical Engineering, nearly flunked out of school because I didn't want to admit I was wrong, and wasted three years of my life. I'm now a happy CS major.

Yeah, change your major early (but not often :)).
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
Can I just say I hate being a scaredy-cat?  Like seriously.  Now I'm like.  I know that I do like the stuff I do, just not the program.  I want to change and try new things, but I'm also afraid that if I do that that I will fail and not graduate.  The one thing I don't want to do is be like my mother. . . my mother couldn't get through college . . . and I don't want to be like her.  (She later went to prison and blah blah blah)  The point is, I'm scared of making a decision like this.  I always have been and I hate myself for it. :\
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
You can keep the major and change schools if you just don't like the program.

Your education is for you. If you find that the education you're getting isn't serving you, go find a better program that will serve you better. It doesn't have anything to do with giving up.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
Thanks Ook. :]  That is comforting.  Truly.  It is.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 02:13:02 AM »
Or, if you're really close to graduating, you could just see it through, graduate, and then take on a new undergraduate program somewhere else.  Ari is graduating with her second undergrad this Spring.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »
Ha ha.  I guess one of the things that makes me lethargic about it is that there aren't any jobs in my area in my field.  So it's like I'm stuck not doing anything that involves what I learn in school outside of school.  So I become lethargic.  I also just wish I could be done with school and have some degree already and go into my field.  ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。