Poll

What is next for the Sci-Fi Channel now that BSG is done?

Imagine Greater Programming
1 (12.5%)
Imagine Greater Obscurity
3 (37.5%)
Imagine Greater Stargate Shows
2 (25%)
Imagine Greater Low-Budget Reality TV
2 (25%)
Imagine Greater B-Movies
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Channel  (Read 3952 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Sci-Fi Channel
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
Now that Battlestar Galactica has ended spectacularly, there is some debate going on about the future of the Sci-Fi Channel. Adding to the discussion is that Sci-Fi plans to change its name to SyFy.

John Scalzi has posted a nice editorial about the change.

So Thoughts? Opinions? Ranting?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-Fi Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
I think the renaming is silly. I can understand the desire to trademark the name, but do they really have competitors using the same name? The product they sell is their channel, and it's an established brand even if they can't trademark it.

I haven't had the sci-fi channel during the time I've been in California since 2004. First it wasn't on the lower channel tier and I didn't want to pay more. Then we gave up cable entirely to save money. We have bought all the DVDs of Stargate, but we didn't watch BSG—we saw part of an episode and Karen found the atmosphere of the show disturbing.

Stargate Atlantis has been going well, but Scifi decided not to renew it because it would be cheaper to pay unknown actors to start a new Stargate spinoff instead. That seems dumb to me.

I long for the day when quite good shows can survive just from being watched online and don't need a network at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:44:46 AM »
I agree, I really like being able to watch shows on-line. Course, I see there being on-line "networks" of a sort. Really just web sites that provide a good selection of shows.

I can see the successful networks surviving the change, but I don't see SyFy as being able to compete.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »
I think the name change is absoulutely rediculous.  I mean, they're channel focus on SCIence FIction.  The industry standard for shortening is SCIFI.  The abrevation makes sense, in a similar way to this whole name combination thing for couples makes sense (but I think that's stupid to do.  But the names combined make sense.  Dasey = Derek and Casey).  However, I see no logic to "SyFy".  Heck, I wouldn't even prounce it like "sci-fi".  If I just saw it I'd say "si-fee".  But that's just me.

As for what to expect, well, I never really watched the channel, so I won't be missing out on anything.  (And I can download anything they do run that's worthwhile.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I heard about the name change the other day and I must say, it is quite useless. I mean, all the main points have already been addressed, but seriously, SyFy? Why do people insist on fiddling with and breaking things that don't need fixing? It's not hip, it's not cool, it's not updated for the "new" generation that so many old people think they can identify with. It's idiotic.

In regards to the future of the network, they will probably just keep airing all the old shows, while continuing to make more crappy C-Movies.  ;)

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:10:44 AM »
Honestly, I could care less about what happens to the Sci-Fi Channel. It seems like they've just been going down hill. For example, they had a great show in the Dresden Files, but gave up on it after only a half season just because they didn't publicize it enough (despite get quite a few viewers--only slightly less than BSG). It bugs me when they have non-sci fi type shows (like wrestling), and B-movie crap that I can't believe is still made. Neither my husband or I have watched that channel since Stargate Atlantis finished (and that was only my husband. I've never been much for the Stargate shows). So yeah, could care less. They seem to have been digging a hole for themselves for years.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:22:38 AM »
the SyFy channel is terrible. their management/producers should be canned. They change the name to SyFy to appeal to more? yeah...if they really wanted to change things to get a better image, maybe they should go off of the fact that many industry professionals us SF rather than SciFi. SF is professional, the SyFy channel is the polar opposite.

how terribad...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:11:06 AM »
SyFy is practically the definition of terribad. The name has "marketing did everything they could to salvage a stupid executive decision" written all over it. As for the future of the network, they're going to need a lot more than Stargate spinoffs and soap opera BSG prequels to keep them afloat. Another BSG or Farscape (by which I mean, "another cool, original show with good writing, acting, and effects") could save them from obscurity.

But honestly, people have been predicting the end of the Sci-Fi channel for years, ever since they started the network with nothing but B-movies and Quantum Leap reruns. They always manage to pull something out of their hats.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »
I wouldn't mind them showing old shows from many years ago, at least for a little while. During this time they can be seriously thinking of how to proceed. I know I'd probably re-watch some old shows if they put them back on the air for a short while.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:28:59 AM »
Highlander would be cool! ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/23/the-phantom-tv-series-planned-for-sci-fi-channel/

I wonder if it will actually go through. I remember the Billy Zane movie and the really old cartoon, but would probably be interested in seeing a series if they go the route they're discussing.

Madjius

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:12:49 AM »
Is they using that huge banner still? That banner is Evil!
If they dont remove it, they will stop soon.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:48:03 AM »
Sorry for the nicro, but I figured since this is where everyone posted thoughts on the name change, this was better then creating a new post.

I just saw this, and I can't decide if it's awesome or horrid.  It's their new promo as "Syfy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I34JWCY74w
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
My first reaction was that a lot of kids can't spell or understand the old name and that they are attempting to go phonetic.  Ugh.

I am enjoying a new discovery on that channel: Warehouse 13.  Well-written and fun.  I just discovered Firefly for the first time and loved watching all 14 episodes on Fancast (sorry if that was off-topic other than being another good sci-fi show that was fun and well-written).  I really enjoyed Serenity as a follow-up, but you guys probably know all about that.  I missed all the drama when it occurred.