Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Kings
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »
From the commercials, I thought this was going to be about a kingdom starting in the USA. Instead, it's the story of Saul and David in a modern-type setting—even the names are mostly the same! David Shepherd, Goliath tanks from the nation of Gath, Silas instead of Saul, Rev. Samuels, Silas's children are Jack and Michelle, David's mom is Jessie. I was fascinated throughout both hours of the show.

I'm astonished something like this is on TV at all. Astonished.

There was only one part of the show that (at this point) I think was a bad choice—a mention of Franz Liszt (David plays the piano) that made it seem like the world of the show has some kind of relationship with our world. I think instead they should have made it a completely fictional universe.

Anyway, I'm going to keep watching.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Kings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
Huh, that sounds interesting. I might try to watch online and see if I like it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:28 AM »
I watched it online today.  Interesting idea.

The bit where Samuels was saying that the king had withdrawn support from the strike, I thought maybe they were going to say that he'd been trying to get his son killed (à la Serg Vorbarra).
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:11:58 AM »
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Actually I'm not sure he wasn't.

[EDIT: Well, crap. Apparently the premiere had horrible ratings and there's rampant speculation that NBC is going to cancel it quickly.

Would the ratings have been better if people had known what it was before it came on?]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:12:17 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:38:09 AM »
I caught the last ten minutes of it this last Sunday.  I was amazed at the beautiful cinematography in some of the scenes. A shame they're already talking about canceling it.  :(

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 05:11:23 AM »
I was not nearly as impressed with the second episode. It wasn't as compelling and not enough seemed to happen.

I'm out of town this week and the next so probably won't watch it again for a while.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
Hey since we have Jack and Michelle There seems to be a Story glitch.  What happened to Ish-bosheth.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.