Author Topic: Golden Sun  (Read 5195 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Golden Sun
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:13 AM »
Anyone ever play?

IMO it was the best RPG for the GBA OR DS . . . even though there wasn't one for the DS. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Golden Sun
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:18:51 AM »
It's still my favorite game of all time. I need to replay through them both once again... I'm long overdue on my annual play-through.

And there's not one for the DS yet, Miyabi. Think positively! For example, on here, they just want to give the game the proper development time. Besides, there's this quote:

Camelot's Hiroyuki and Shugo Takahashi stated in a 2004 interview that the scenarios of the first two games were intended as "prologues to the real event yet to come"

I'm excited just thinking about that.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:21:39 AM »
Yeah, I've read all the interviews and everything.  That is probably the most exciting quote I've seen about it.

BTW: Do you know how obnoxious it is to program for a DS?  You have like NO OS so you have to program directly at the hardware which is rather odd.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:44 AM »
No, I've never attempted to learn how to program for any game system.

Hanami

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
I found Golden Sun to be an entertaining RPG, but I don't like you couldn't make any decisions, it was almost all prepared whatever you answered. What bothered me the most was the fact I agreed with the main party's ideals, and getting the other team in the second game and having them convicing the first ones was... well, I didn't feel it quite right.

What I didn't like was dungeons. I've always found them as the most boring parts of a RPG, and in this game they were specially long and boring.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
On choices - Choices are something that is a newer concept in most RPGs.  This game pushed the capabilities of the GBA as it was.  I found the dungeons entertaining with all of the puzzles you had to solve?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
I definitely played one of them, but actually didn't enjoy it all that much. My favorite game for the GBA has got to be Fire Emblem   :o
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »
I found Golden Sun to be an entertaining RPG, but I don't like you couldn't make any decisions, it was almost all prepared whatever you answered. What bothered me the most was the fact I agreed with the main party's ideals, and getting the other team in the second game and having them convicing the first ones was... well, I didn't feel it quite right.

What I didn't like was dungeons. I've always found them as the most boring parts of a RPG, and in this game they were specially long and boring.

I certainly hope they improve the lack of choice thing in a later game.

I actually liked the dungeons in Golden Sun. All of the Lighthouses were very thoughtfully crafted, though I did think Air's Rock was a boring dungeon when compared with those others. I always looked forward to the Lighthouses, though.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
They definitely should provide some form of choice making. ***SPOILER*** Like whether you get to kill Alex or not.***/SPOILER*** 

I also hope that they make it for the DS, because GS just . . . wouldn't be the same if it wasn't on a hand-held
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
I believe they probably will... I mean, there's a lot of people out there who want a third GS game for the DS so, even if they didn't intend to do it in the first moment, they'll do it just for the money. After all, the world functions that way.

About the choices, the thing that annoyed me the most was the Colosso. I understood that psinergy shouldn't be known out of Tale, so I never used it in battles when there were people nearby. I didn't want to participate on the Colosso, but I wasn't really given any choice, so I battled without using psynergy at all. So I won and then they come and say: 'your psynergy is so cool!', and I was like- what? And then I had no choice but agreeing to help Babi and I didn't want to! Thet really pissed me off.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:55:24 PM by Hanami »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »
Ha ha.  You can use anything you want.  You are actually supposed to use your other characters to use their psynergy to make you get through it faster than the other guys.  You also can use like summons and Djin and stuff ha ha.

They will eventually make one.  They have said.

"Nintendo asked us to"

"We have to"

"We want to"

"We want another RPG too."

"They first two are just a Prequel to the bigger story."

They spent a year an a half on the first game.  I don't remember on the second game.  They also keep saying that they want to do it, but they want to do it right.  They keep putting it off because they don't want to do it wrong. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
Yeah, I know you are expected to use psynergy. But I didn't, so the sequence was pretty... absurd.

Years because they 'want to do it right'? I am starting to think that hours and ours of sleeping and talking to each other is their idea of 'doing it the right way?

By the way, did you have to transfer your old characters by the awfully tedious method? I truly hated that @_@ Had to copy the code thrice, because there were symbols that seemed letters and vice-versa.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
Yes, sadly I didn't have multiple systems. ha ha.  So you get a huge page of code that takes forever, but it was worth it because my characters were level 99. :P  I had all the Djinn and all good items.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
Yes, sadly I didn't have multiple systems. ha ha.  So you get a huge page of code that takes forever, but it was worth it because my characters were level 99. :P  I had all the Djinn and all good items.

That's... insane.

I don't know, I liked Golden Sun as an RPG because it didn't require me to insanely level like that (especially not the first game). When Isaac and Felix met up in the second game, they were only about five levels apart, so it worked out really well.

I couldn't even conceive of transferring using the codes... You both have my heartfelt apologies.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
I spent a . . . few hours . . . leveling up. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。