Author Topic: Schlock eavesdropping?  (Read 2547 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Schlock eavesdropping?
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »
I just read http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090315.html.

I seems that Schlock is eavesdropping on the conversation.  This is made pretty obvious.  The question is, why?  Normally this doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd be interested in.  Has he picked up something I haven't?

Any ideas?
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Schlock eavesdropping?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
:shrug:

I'd guess it would be pretty easy for him though. Just make an eardrum the size of his stomach and DONE!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mbarker

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »
Two possibilities -- first, he's in trouble for suggesting that they drive themselves in and save the towing fee, so he's looking for some way to make up for that. Second, maybe he's keeping an eye on the shadowy pair in the doorway? Or, of course, it could be something else  ;)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:00:04 AM »
Second, maybe he's keeping an eye on the shadowy pair in the doorway?

Lol I missed that the first look. Kevyn is such a dog sometimes.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »
Interesting - I didn't pick up on the fact that Schlock's presence in the foreground means that he's eavesdropping. However, I would like to point out that Schlock has a long history of listening in on Tagon's private conversations (like this, for example), so it may not be anything sinister or serious. It's just who he is.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 03:44:57 AM »
I think Schlock makes it his business to listen in on everything he can get away with, and then some.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »
Second, maybe he's keeping an eye on the shadowy pair in the doorway?

Lol I missed that the first look. Kevyn is such a dog sometimes.

Elf is definitely the man in that relationship...
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »
I think Schlock makes it his business to listen in on everything he can get away with, and then some.

Well, probably.  This is the first time I remember that it's been broadcast quite so cleanly.  Before I've always gotten the impression that it was almost an accident.  Or at least, Schlock always liked to give that impression.  It always looked like he just walked in by accident.  This time, he's definitely being premediated sneaky.

Anyway, maybe it's just a way of broadcasting that this conversation will turn out to be important.  Or that Schlock likes spying; a form of 'show, don't tell'.

And yeah, I didn't notice Kevyn and Elf in the doorway first time either.  I seriously doubt it has anything to do with Schlock being there, though.  In fact, I doubt it will turn out as meaningful, as they are no doubt paying no attention to the main conversation in the strip...

Nature hates being reified.