Author Topic: Great bands you've never heard of  (Read 17939 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Great bands you've never heard of
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
@jade - Of course, what good Daft Fan hasn't seen that movie.  Ha ha.  I absolutely loved it.

@SE - Most of my stuff is the stuff that is really weird and out there.  One of those things that I'm sure some bands I'm one of only like 10,000 fans. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »
Just off the top of my head:

Machinae supremacy - Great rock/chip-tune band. They use normal rock instruments and splice in chip tunes like from the old amiga/nes/whatever to make awesome songs

Ayla - Awesome techno/trance group.

Manowar - Great "nerd rock" group. (i *HIGHLY* recommend the song sons of odin)

Angelzoom - very good german operatic-like singing group. IMO, the most beautiful female singing voice i have ever heard. I highly recommend their cover of "Crawling" (original by linkin park)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »
Saint E.:  It'd be great if we could get descriptions like that here.  I'll try to be more verbose in this thread to give you a better idea, when I post something.

However, I also regularly broadcast what I'm listening to over Skype.  If you ever want a listen, let me know (and if you want me to specifically pick out stuff I think is different or exceptional, I'm usually happy to oblige).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

Freezepop - Bubbly synth-pop tehcnoness.

The Medic Droid - Hard core techno, a little bit of screamo.

Daft Punk - This is older mellow techno for the most part.

Basshunter - Swedish upbeat techno songs about video games and the internet.

Pierce the Veil - Screamo Techno.

Motion City Soundtrack - 90's Pop Rock. 

My Morning Jacket - Mellow stoner music (for lack of better terms)

The Antlers  - Indie alternative. . . . kind of like a mix between soft rock with some really mellow ska sometimes.  They are easily becoming one of my favorites.

Cobra Starship - Depending on the song they sound like an 80s pop band.

Phantom Planet - Uhm, alternative rock that is semi-mellow.

Panic! At The Disco - Just fun indie rock.

I hope those descriptions are better.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »
as far as what I'm currently listening to, I use last.fm. My recently played list is on my Facebook page and on the front of my personal web page (link in my profile thingy on the left.

Right now it's less diverse. I've recently acquired a bundle of mp3s and I'm listening to them all before I put them in the main playlist.

PW

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 05:45:02 AM »
She & Him Volume One has been on a steady rotation in my CD player.  Zooey Deschanel (yes, the actress) and M. Ward are the collaborators, and session musicians fill out the rest of the band.  I have a hard time making the album fit a genre: it has a pop/indie folk feel, but without a lot of slick production, and it has a very mellow vibe.  Zooey Deschanel wrote most of he songs, but they've also thrown in covers of "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" and "I Should Have Known Better" for good measure.

Check them out over at sheandhim.com

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »
For SE's sake, I'll put some descriptors for the bands I listed. Just as a reference, I am a HUGE fan of Jimmy Eat World.

Making April--piano rock. Alternative and a bit emo. Some of their songs are almost orchestral (meaning the instruments that they use, it's almost a full orchestra. It's strange...). Some of their songs are more emo than others, especially the ones on their first album. Their newest album (which they view as their debut album) is a bit more mainstream alt rock. They're fantastic lyricists. They use words you don't generally hear in songs, like emphatic, incessant, haunting, etc, but it doesn't feel out of place. Good stuff.

Guster--alternative rock. Some strings. Bongos instead of drums (mostly). I don't really know how to describe these guys other than that.

Between the Trees--indie rock. Keyboard/piano.

Rookie of the Year--indie rock. Sort of emo and acoustic.

We Shot the Moon--indie piano rock.

Straylight Run--indie rock. One girl (she recently left) and three guys.

Secondhand Serenade--piano rock. Alternative and acoustic. A lot like Dashboard Confessional, only John Vesely (lead singer of SS) doesn't get quite as emo as Chris Carrabba tends to get.

Foreverinmotion--one-man show. He describes his sound as being a mixture of folk, rock, and ambient. He did a cover of Jimmy's "For Me This is Heaven" which is absolutely phenomenal. So much better than the original, I think.

Pete Yorn--alt rock. He has a bit of techno feel. A bit...He generally plays all the instruments for his songs (or he did when he first started out), from the guitar, to the keyboard, to the drums, to the harmonica, plus more. Insanely talented.

Nickel Creek--Progressive bluegrass. One girl, two guys.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:35 AM »
So I've been listening to this fella named Nick Ogawa alot recently. Picked up an album (album artist goes as Takenobu, same guy, though) and i can't stop listening to this one song, shady grove.

You can hear it on his blog Here. First song in the list. I totally recommend it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »
Thought you guys might enjoy this. "We Shot the Moon" is giving away their first album for free. No strings attached and completely legal.

What are they like? They sound a fair bit like Sherwood. Never heard of Sherwood? Uhm...it's California Piano Rock. Not sure how else to describe it. Just go listen. It's free, after all, and it comes with the Ryos Stamp of Approval.  :D
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
I love We Shot the Moon. Favorite song by them is probably 'Sway Your Head'....Awesome. (Although 'Woke Her Up' is absolutely fantastic, but that's not really out yet...)

But yes. I second Ryos' suggestion, and give them an endorsement of my own. Give them a listen....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
Yeah, the new stuff they played when I saw them live was about ten times better than their current stuff. Can't wait for "A Sliver Lining".

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 05:58:02 AM »
You know, I've still barely scratched the surface of litany of unpopular taste that is my iTunes library. :)

If you're not LDS, it's likely you've never heard of Peter Breinholt, and that's a shame. It's not that he sings LDS music, but that he lives and plays only in Utah.

How to describe his music? It's rather unlike most everything else in my library. He has a mellow, approachable sound that is both familiar and strange. Breinholt's acoustic guitar work is complimented at times by banjo, fiddle, piano, and brass instruments, and above it all is his unusual and captivating vocal style. His lyrics are mostly nonsensical, but there is also a kind of sense to them that feels very right.

I recommend most highly his newest album, All the Color Green. From that album my favorite songs are Queen Olé and First Song. The album before that, Deep Summer, is also very good, and his Christmas album is exceptional if you're into that sort of thing. Anything older than Deep Summer is just OK.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »
So I've been listening to this fella named Nick Ogawa alot recently. Picked up an album (album artist goes as Takenobu, same guy, though) and i can't stop listening to this one song, shady grove.

You can hear it on his blog Here. First song in the list. I totally recommend it.

I like it.  I'm a sucker for New Age-style strings.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
Time to resurrect this thread!

Recently I've been listening to Sia's new album, Some People Have Real Problems, and I've gotta say, it's really great.

Sia has a rich, gentle, silky smooth voice, and she knows how to use it. Her songs have a truly unique sound that I'm having trouble describing—she frequently blends lovely orchestral riffs with beats that are sometimes R&B-like, sometimes like Jazz, and other times more Alt Rock inspired, but are always pleasant—all below her creamy alto voice.

Gah, it's so hard to use words to describe music. Just go listen to samples. ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:59:09 AM by ryos »

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:57 PM »
Lately I've been listening to a lot of a western Washington band called He is We. It's totally indie rock, but I love it. If you're into indie rock, you should check it out, because I'm terrible at describing sounds and such. Best I can do is say it's indie rock..and that it's a girl singing. But as far as describing voice quality and other such stuff...yeah. I fail at that.  :P

My favorite song by them is called 'Light a Way', with two others, 'Radio' and 'His Name' coming in a close second and third, respectively. The only problem is that they're so tiny the only place to buy their album is iTunes. And I don't like iTunes, so I don't have it. Therefore, I have to stick with the scratchy sound quality on youtube for the songs that aren't on downloadable on purevolume. It's a little disappointing, but whatever...