Author Topic: Great bands you've never heard of  (Read 17926 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Great bands you've never heard of
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:44:44 AM »
OK. I listen to a bunch of stuff that nobody I come in contact with ever knows about before they met me. And a lot of it is great.

How much great stuff am I missing, because I've never heard of it?

So, let's try this. What obscure bands/albums do you love? Crap you're sure nobody listens to but you?

I'll go first: J Minus. Download the free songs off their (sadly, entirely flash-based) web site. Be happy. :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Great bands you've never heard of
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:22:55 AM »
Ookla the Mok, from which I get my username.

http://www.ooklathemok.com
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
My Morning Jacket - Z

The Medic Droid - What's Your Medium

Cobra Starship - "Viva La Cobra", "While the City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets"

Phantom Planet - "Phantom Planet Is Missing", "The Guest" (The rest of their albums are good too, these are just the best.

Urhm, that's all for now.  I'll give you more later.

I'm ver much like you in the fact that no one listens to the music I do.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

fuzzylightning

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
Miyabi, I have heard of Cobra Starship, in fact I have seen them live twice and I like their music.

As far as bands that I listen to that most people may not have heard of, umm, probably Superchick and Stellar Kart and a few other Christian rock bands that don't get much airtime.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Ill throw a couple Christian Metal/Rock, or sometimes referred to as Christian Metalcore, bands out there.

August Burns Red
Demon Hunter
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:40:31 AM »
I've already found some good stuff. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

My turn again: Dave Beegle - Beyond the Desert. This is one of my favorite CDs. It's sort of a fusion of classical guitar and modern acoustic rock, with a side of Flamenco. All 7 tracks are instrumental, and I love them all.

Also, check out Meese. They just have a 4-song EP out for now, but all four songs are great.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:43 AM »
Epik High - Korean Hip-Hop/Pop/Rock awesomeness.
Clazziquai - Korean underground new movement club or something like that.
Nanook of the North - Norwegian easy listening with interesting lyrics (all in English). "Hey Fragile" is hilarious.
The Allstonians - An excellent ska band, though less old, well known, and influential than The Toasters.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:13 AM »
They only have one song, and it's a demo, but The Paul Revere Jumpsuit Apparatus
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 07:26:10 AM »
Sortitus, is there actually good KPop?  My brother and I have looked high and low, and had little success finding Korean music as good as the Japanese and Chinese stuff out there.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
Sorry, my browser crashed a while back and I forgot about this thread for a bit.

JadeKnight, there is good KPop, but it's not the same as other Asian pop. Kpop is just a different flavor. In general, Koran music is more closely tied to the European and American music scenes than the countries around them. If you like other Asian pop music, try going to Se7en, DBSK, Super Junior or Girls Generation (SNSD) first. The artists that are biggest in the US (I think) are Rain and BoA, so you might like those as well. It's hard to suggest something not knowing your precise tastes. Message me if none of those hit the spot for you. ;D
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »
I've herad BoA in Japanese, not in Korean.  To me, she's a Japanese artist (not entire true, but that's how my mind works...)

Great artists most Americans have never heard of:
MC Solaar - rap
Natasha St-Pier - soft rock/pop
Noir Désir - rock (their lead singer is back after having spent a few years in prison.  It will be interesting to see what they do now...)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »
I mostly listen to Alternative/Rock:

Making April
Guster (kind of...outside family, I don't know of many people, but I hear they're popular on the east coast)
Foreverinmotion
Straylight Run
Pete Yorn
Between the Trees
Rookie of the Year
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
Heh. Wilson, I've heard of 5 of those.  :P

I love Making April and Guster, but I haven't really listened to the others too much.

I'll throw another one out there: Hayley Westenra. I hear she's quite popular outside the US, but as an American it was just chance luck that I happened to hear a sample of her work. It hooked me immediately - she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. I had to find out who she was and buy her work.

She sings celtic/folk/classical songs. Even though she's more of a performer than a songwriter, her performances are very much worth listening to.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:09 AM »
Wow. I'm not really surprised about Guster, but...Making April? Out of those that I put down, that's the one that I would've bet that no one on here has even heard of, much less listened to. I am VERY surprised...They're pretty much my favorite band right now.

And Jade, I just listened to some Noir Désir on youtube...I like it. Good sound. I think I may have to youtube download some of it now...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:16:24 PM »
They only have one song, and it's a demo, but The Paul Revere Jumpsuit Apparatus

Any relation to the band The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus?

I recently got turned on to a band called Dispatch, which disbanded back in 2002. A few of the members joined a band called State Radio.

This is the song that got me hooked on them. (Caution NSFW language in comments section)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3JjlkfX5Gk&feature=related