Author Topic: Castle  (Read 12565 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Castle
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »
Nathan Fillion. Playing an author? Yes.

Anybody seen this? It premiered on Monday. I thought it was interesting and funny, and I'm kind've curious to see where its going. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another "cop show with a twist" ; they're popping up all over the place these days.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Nathan Fillion plays a great dirt bag. I have hopes that this show will continue. It wasnt amazing, but it was a nice change from the terrible CSIs and Law and Orders. I hate James Patterson, but seeing his little role made me laugh. You are right though, they will need to do something different to make this a "must-watch."
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
Oh, I forgot to watch it. I'll have to check it out at least the first episode online.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »
I watched it.  I enjoyed it.  I hope it goes somewhere interesting.  They exhausted the "copycat killer copying the author's books" schtick in the first episode.  But they did set up for ways in which the author can actually contribute to invesatigations.  I have high hopes.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:56:16 AM »
I just watched it last night.  It was fun to see Stephen J. Cannell.   ;D
~금강산도 식후경~

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
I also thought the "copycat killer copying the author's books" thing was going to be a show theme, rather than just a pilot theme. But it looks like they're going with a "annoying, narcissistic author helps tough-as-nails-yet-very-hot female detective solve murders" theme instead. I loved the pilot, and have high hopes for it.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
i enjoyed his reaction to the confrontation at the end of the episode last night. it shows they intend to grow his character which makes me happy. that said, while the comments at the autopsy were funny, they were absurd. there is no way the police officer has that reaction. "Sex?"  "Spermicide?" The show lowered my respect for the cop which is a bad thing.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
I watched both episodes last night, and I really enjoyed it. It's basically just another police procedural, of which there are too many already, but the writer gimmick is pretty fresh, and it's a nice change of pace from the glut of CSI/Law & Order spinoffs. I loved the scene with the other writers (playing themselves, which was awesome), and the father/daughter relationship is shaping up to be one of the best I've ever seen on TV.

Quick observation: all three of the female leads in this show have red hair, and are incredibly (almost dangerously) thin. Do I sense a fetish in the casting director?

Edit: by the way, I really want to complain about ABC's online viewer. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Hulu and Netflix, but auto-pausing the show so that I have to get up and click a mouse every seven minutes is just a stupid way to watch television.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:16:25 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
Dan: Learn to wireless mouse. It's like a remote.

Essentially this show is Murder He Wrote. Which is fine. I am waiting for them to introduce an overarching plot. I thought that they would use the pilot plot as a full season thing, but oh well. My one complaint is that they are making the female detective an idiot. I've already mentioned her completely unrealistic dialog from Ep 2, but in addition to that they are pretending like everyone thinks she is isnt attractive. In Ep 1 there was the line, "Well, some lipstick couldn't hurt." It's a tad absurd. I really hope they move on from that...or actually give her a disfigurement so that people's fake impression that she isn't attractive is warranted.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:23 PM »
The lipstick line was especially dumb when it was accompanied by a closeup in which she was obviously wearing lipstick.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »
last night's episode was rather weak.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
It did feel like the "writer angle" didn't have much to do with the plot.  Which makes it just another police show which happens to have a writer tagging along for no real compelling reason. 

Castle is definitely losing his "bad boy" cred.  All we see of his personal life is him being a great dad with every indication that he has always been such.  Refreshing to see in TV land but at odds with the billing of the show and it hasn't added much.  It's gone from interesting to simply "pleasant to watch."

However, I enjoyed it and will definitely watch the next. It still has possibilities.  I too am looking forward to an overarching plot.

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Madjius

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:23 AM »
The show has plummeted after the pilot.
Let the fillers begin!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »
You're right about the bad boy cred, Skar--it's hard for me to buy him as a hedonistic playboy when the only things we ever see him do are solve murders and be the best father on TV. They need to show more parties, more bad decisions, and more poker games with other writers (which would, incidentally, make the writer gimmick a lot more meaningful).

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
You're right about the bad boy cred, Skar--it's hard for me to buy him as a hedonistic playboy when the only things we ever see him do are solve murders and be the best father on TV. They need to show more parties, more bad decisions, and more poker games with other writers (which would, incidentally, make the writer gimmick a lot more meaningful).

they also need to show him mess up an investigation rather than show him as the only one who can solve the crime. they are continually undermining the female lead which bothers me. honestly at this point they may as well make him the detective and kick her to the curb.

The show is far from sunk, and it hasn't "plummeted" at all. They just need to get back to using the writing angle as a part of the story like Dan said.