Author Topic: Writing Excuses Branding Writing Prompt  (Read 5949 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Writing Excuses Branding Writing Prompt
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:23 AM »
Pick your favorite author and in 50 words or less write down what you think their brand is, then compare it on the forums with what others write.

Trivia: I almost named this episode: Marking for Authors 201: Branding Sanderson
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Excuses Branding Writing Prompt
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
Marking or Marketing?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:59:14 AM »
Should this be over next door at Reading Excuses?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:26:45 AM »
Nope. Reading excuses is a writing group.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Pipe

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:16 AM »
Lois McMaster Bujold:

Character driven, intricately plotted tales involving sympathetic protagonists scarred (mentally or physically) by the past and overcoming impossible odds through smarts and unbreakable will, and the support of side characters filled with personality.

[I've read half of the Vorkosigan Saga, Curse of Chalion and half of Paladin of Souls]

---

It's hard to describe what makes an author good in so few words, without coming off as a bit generic :P

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:34 PM »
I would be interested in hearing who the people here compare themselves to. I think this "Branding" topic is important for people to be thinking about. It's always nice for an agent to know how he/she can market a book when it gets sent to them.

I haven't read any of the submissions here, so I can't compare you to anyone. Here are some things to consider that the agents and editors I talked to recently said:

Wants:
Lots of requests for Dark Fantasy. Think in the vein of Erikson, Bakker, and Abercrombie. I heard 3 editors say they are looking specifically for it.
Urban Fantasy that is different from what we have now. They want to see it spun in a different way with perhaps some SF elements in it.
When I heard SF mentioned, I heard Hard SF.
Moshe Feder likes anything that's amazing.

Don't Want:
Tolkien Fantasy.
Don't want much more in the way of the Vampires and Werewolves that we see in ALL Urban Fantasy.

In short, I think we are seeing a push towards more intelligence and depth. I hope this helps. I certainly feel that the people who are seriously posting in the other forum should think of where their books fits - a "If you like [insert author here], then you will like my stuff because [insert VERY BRIEF explanation here]."

Can you explain to an agent in 50 words or less your own book and who it could be considered similar to? I dont mean, "its Harry Potter meets Robocop!" I dont mean "It's just like Terry Brooks!" I mean something along the lines of mentioning the strengths of what you have, and then mention that you feel that readers who enjoy those similar qualities in [insert author] will enjoy your own novel. In reality 50 words is very little, but it's good practice so you can distill your thoughts to as direct of a explanation as possible.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »
That's a good one for Bujold, Pipe.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:46:28 PM »
Very interesting, Bookstore Guy. That stuff is good to know, thanks! Were you at a convention or something that you got to meet so many editors?  :)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
This topic looks like it could well be one of the 5 more important ones in the Group.  But I'd find this fairly difficult.  It seems like most new author's would feel a bit self serving comparing themselves stylistically to a well known author.  And I think a lot of us find it hard to separate ourselves from the author that just finished the novel we're hawking (that's my baby!).  It looks like a really good exercise, but seriously what if you say, "I use tone and characterization in a way that blends characteristics of Lynn Abbey and Anne McCaffrey," with a straight face, when the last thing you published was a college newspaper and the guy sitting across from you (that you had to give a kidney to get to meet with) doesn't see it? What if he laughs....

:)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't "brand" yourself without comparing yourself to other names in the industry, though.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
I was really responding to books' post with that.  I don't think like an ad guy.  When I think of branding I think in terms of trade names and images.  Maybe someone else could take a stab at definining the process/product of "branding" one's fiction.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
you can, but think about what the goal of this is. this is typically something for a one-liner pitch to an agent you just ran in to, or a simple 1-paragraph blurb on a query letter. this is thinking of how to get past the query letter and into people looking at your actual manuscript. Many agents will request a partial manuscript on 1 out of 300 query letters (if that). You can brand yourself in that short amount of time, but ofttimes it serves to mention similar authors of a similar nature to your own while throwing your idea out there.

Think of it this way: let's imagine I send a query letter saying, "This is an epic fantasy where a corrupt religion indoctrinates the people into being sacrifices to the Gods. The heroes are trying to bring about the collapse of this religion." Sure it might be a nifty premise, but it says nothing about what kind of style you are going for. If I then add, "My influences have been the harsh reality of Martin's series and the humor of Scott Lynch." All of a sudden, you get a better idea of what you are hopefully gonna get (as an agent) if you request the partial manuscript.

Remember, you should be researching agents that publish things in the vein of what you are writing. If you say, "One of my main influences is the author ______, whom you represent," then suddenly you have made a slight connection. The agent knows you have done a little homework, and you look much better.

You can brand yourself once you get someone to even look at your stuff.

So, to Renoard, they can't laugh at you when they haven't read your stuff. They will most likely say, "Not really my thing." if they dont want it. They are professionals, and they want you (as the writer) to act like one as well.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
I've actually seen a few agent blogs that recommend you be pret-ty careful when comparing your works to that of other authors. Though I suppose they're probably meaning comparisons that run more towards the "This is like Dan Brown meets JK Rowling, only better" nature.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
well yeah. that's like my HP meets Robocop example. i can't even take it seriously. what I mean is saying things like, "Due to the moral ambiguity in my novel, and also the theme of manipulation that is heavily present, I feel that readers of Martin and Bakker would highly enjoy my work." or, "You represent Jim Butcher, one of my favorite authors and influences, and I feel that my novel, ______, shares some of those similar tones and writing styles while making it very uniquely my own."  see the difference?

in a query letter, agents typically have you talk a little about yourself. that would be the place to "brand" yourself. "I'm an account, and I grew up in a strong religious household where I began reading fantasy at a young age. I strive hard to put these unique characteristics in my writing to give my words a unique feel."  see what i mean?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
Why does a writing group have an entire forum?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."