Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 6684 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Watchmen
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
So, Watchmen. Anyone else see it yet? I caught the midnight showing on Thursday and, avoiding spoilers, it was pretty decent. I went into it worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, yet it always seemed to keep my interest.

I had a few problems with it, but most of them should get resolved with the Director's Cut and the supposed hour of additional footage that couldn't make the theatrical cut. Any other problems I had were so small and insignificant that I don't even think they'd qualify as nitpicks.

All in all, the acting was fantastic. James Earl Haley NAILED Rorschach and Jeffrey Dean Morgan was about as perfect a Comedian as I could have imagined.

8)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »
well, the director's cut is only going to add about a half hour. then an extended cut will include some of the Black Freighter stuff. My hope is that the extra footage will be added at the end to make the impact of the finale more meaningful. it was too choppy and lacked punch.

i did think the movie was good though.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I've never liked the ending to that story, but I did like the movie ending a little more than the novel. And I agree about Rorshach--he was absolutely perfect. I liked all the Watchmen, actually.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
I kinda felt Ozy was a little flat. Other than that I was good with them.  Rorschach was awesome. Comedian was awesome. I personally thought Nite Owl II was great as well - I liked his persona change from normal dude to Nite Owl a lot.

I also think had they gone with the comic ending, it would have turned off more people. There IS a small hole in the logic of the new ending - first with Dr Manhattan, and then with Ozy (his was more of a character hole imo). I super enjoyed the prison scene.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
The prison scene had two little visual jokes in it that I thought were just brilliant, and which I'm pretty sure were added specifically for the movie. Very nice.

I see two logic holes in the ending, one small and one big, but both are immense spoilers. We'll have to discuss them elsewhere.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
if youd ever play TI with Nick and I we could discuss, but noooooooooooo...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »
TI games are long enough without also holding long cross-analyses of book to movie adaptations.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
Plot summary

Death, exploding body parts, penis, exploding body parts, sex, penis, death, penis, exploding body parts, penis, sex, exploding body parts, phenomenal ending.

Like honestly EVERY article of clothing you could see through.  The sex scenes were basically pointless.  I liked Rorschack and Adrian.  I found the ending and a certain character's reasoning absolutely genius.  Everything else in the movie basically was lame.

Also penis.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
Plot summary

Death, exploding body parts, penis, exploding body parts, sex, penis, death, penis, exploding body parts, penis, sex, exploding body parts, phenomenal ending.

Like honestly EVERY article of clothing you could see through.  The sex scenes were basically pointless.  I liked Rorschack and Adrian.  I found the ending and a certain character's reasoning absolutely genius.  Everything else in the movie basically was lame.

Also penis.

*Sigh*

It's really sad that you aren't the only one to think this way about Watchmen. IMO it was awesome. The world that Snyder was able to create onscreen was absolutely amazing! However, the more opinions I read like this the more dissapointed I become. If this movie doesn't succeed/make a profit, you can kiss the adult dark comic book movie genre goodbye. I'm really tired of the bubblegum comic book/superhero movies such as Fantastic 4. Unfortunately, without success from Watchmen it may be all that we are left with.

Oh and as far a your "also penis" comment, really? Is everyone stuck at age 13? I swear the whole theater snickered or made some lude comment every time Dr. Manhattan appeared. Grow up. It's only a penis. Dr. Manhattan, with his god-like existence, is past all insecurities about his body and doesn't see the need for clothes.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
I think the "adult dark comic book movie genre" was doing just fine before Watchmen, thanks to The Dark Knight, so it seems odd to say that Watchmen will make or break it.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
I think the "adult dark comic book movie genre" was doing just fine before Watchmen, thanks to The Dark Knight, so it seems odd to say that Watchmen will make or break it.

The Dark Knight is definately darker than the run in the mill comic book movies but I wouldn't put on the same level as Watchmen. However, I was discussing this last night with my wife and I actually said that even if Watchmen fails The Dark Knight gives me hope.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
If nothing else, consider that Dark Knight won and acting Oscar, which is ridiculously unheard of even for action movies, let alone comicbook movies. That means actors will start taking them much more seriously--everybody wants to be the next Heath Ledger. That bodes very, very well for the future of serious comicbook adaptations.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »
yeah, I think the more adult, darker-themed comic movies are firmly established now. and it wasn't just Dark Knight and Watchmen that have pushed that out there. You also have to look at Sin City and some aspects of 300 - though DK and Watchmen DID kind of cement the staying power of the style of films.

Dan is right of course, after seeing the portrayals of Batman, Joker, Rorschach, and even Iron Man, I think more big time actors are going to consider these parts, and lesser-knows are going to look for that defining part that they can make their own. I think movie-wise, we are in a good spot.

TV is a different matter...

As for some of the content in Watchmen, I really had no problem with Dr Manhattan and his nudity. It was SLIGHTLY over-done, but I think it showed well his losing touch with the human race and the sensibilities included. This detachment led to the other sex scene, which while im never a fan of nudity, I felt the whole situation felt very awkward and 1st-time-ish - which is how it was supposed to feel. I felt it was very in character. As for violence, I cringed, but felt it all was for the purpose of showing character. Frankly, the ending was the biggest problem with its logic holes - though I still thought the ending was fine. Just my opinion though.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
I don't know, maybe if I watched it a second time it would be better.  I mean, the concept of the movie was good, I just didn't like the premise. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
What's the difference between the concept of a movie and the premise? At least in this case.