Author Topic: New Elantris Audio Edition  (Read 1266 times)

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
New Elantris Audio Edition
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
Holy Crap!!  I listened to the teaser and broke out in goose bumps.  It is very well done.  Some of the pronunciations aren't how I pictured them but I'm sure that EUOL told them how it is to be done. Also some of the actor's accents were a little strange but again that is just me, I usually think that a character speaks like I would unless otherwise stated in the text.  That having been said, I can't wait for the rest of it to be released so I can listen to it all with out having to wait between parts.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: New Elantris Audio Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
Wow. Parts of it seemed a bit over-the-top, but it's obvious a lot of effort was put into it. They picked some decent lines for the preview. A movie in your mind...yeah, I could very much see this as a movie trailer.

I wonder how much more something like this costs to make than a normal audiobook.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »
I listened to the demo and was pretty impressed. I might look into getting these.  It definatly is different then the normal way of doing audio books. I think it could get a lot more people interested in listening to them. 

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
I agree that some of the dramatic effects (both voice intonations and sound effects) seemed a little overdone, but I think that's to be expected of a radio opera.  As for name pronunciations, they sounded to me (roughly) like the guidelines EUOL has given on his webpage.

Surely this format costs quite a lot more to make than a typical audiobook.  You'd have to pay multiple readers instead of one, and they would need more rehearsals and more takes of each scene, then you'd have to get all the sounds mixed in.  And before any of that, you'd need someone to make the abridging decisions.  Yet it sounds like the price they're asking is comparable to that of a regular audiobook, so they must have a pretty small profit margin.
He ate my horse.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
They dont look like to big of a company yet but if they take off they can make a pretty good profit.  The main drawback of audiobooks is that they do not sell alot so they need to have high prices to cover costs. This keeps most people from buying them.  If their format takes off then they can continue to offer low prices. If not they will not be publishing to long.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:02 PM »
Surely this format costs quite a lot more to make than a typical audiobook.  You'd have to pay multiple readers instead of one, and they would need more rehearsals and more takes of each scene, then you'd have to get all the sounds mixed in.  And before any of that, you'd need someone to make the abridging decisions.  Yet it sounds like the price they're asking is comparable to that of a regular audiobook, so they must have a pretty small profit margin.

Sure you have to pay more readers, but you have to pay each one for less; I'd bet it's not that much more expensive than a single reader. I imagine the biggest expense difference is in editing, since the various tracks must be spliced together. But, even then, I bet it doesn't take much longer than editing a single reader's performance. You already have to edit out the mistakes, and with a multi-track editor it wouldn't be much additional work to also make sure various performances line up correctly.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:44 PM »
I was picturing getting all the readers together in the studio at the same time to read through each scene, like filming a movie.  But I imagine you're right, they probably do record each reader separately.  That would certainly minimize the costs.
He ate my horse.