Author Topic: Let's try something new with Alcatraz!!! (May include **SPOILERS**)  (Read 36078 times)

Bastille

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
 Okay, I've noticed and I'm sure others have as well that WoT has taken over the forum and we've been sort of ignoring the rest of the other books. I want to try something new and talk about the new Alcatraz book that is coming out in October of 2009. Talk about what you hope to come in the next book, what's your favorite character or part in the last 2 books. If you haven't read these books take a look and maybe try them out. Let's see how this goes.  ;)

My Questions and Stuff:

I'm wondering what Nalhalla is going to look like and how the world (Free Kingdoms) will think of Attica's return. Also now that Shasta has the Lenses of Rashid I think she is going to loose them because in the 1st book she lost her keys and that turned the story into what it is. I'm wondering why the book is called Knight's of Crystallia ? Something has to happen with Crystallia and maybe we'll find out things that we didn't know before.

Bastille
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:29:25 AM by Bastille »
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try something New!!! (May include **SPOILERS**)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
I'm afraid I haven't read them yet :( That needs to change.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:35:17 PM »
*Big spoilers for Mistborn and Alcatraz below*

I hadn't heard about that title.  Very interesting.  Particularly since the title theme thus far has been "Alcatraz Versus..."

Does this mean the Knights are corrupt?  Or controlled by the as-yet-unknown Fourth Sect Of Evil Librarians?  (actually the undead ones are pretty ambivalent, as evil characters go.  In some very weird ways they remind me of Kandra.)

Anyway, in the Hoid Topic I ended up drawing quite a few parallels between Alcatraz and the Mistborn trilogy, and I think I might have been on to something with all the similarities in the magic systems.  Like Preservation and Ruin, the "metaphysics" of Alcatraz's world involve two entities: "Identity" and "Possibility".  Judging by names, neither seems to be particularly good or evil in alignment*, but there may still be some sort of critical "thing" that our hero has to do with them.

Vin, the Allomancer who could reach all four planes of the magic system in Scadrial (okay, any Mistborn could do it, but she was good at it), faced a critical choice in the middle book in the series.  She essentially made a decision that determined whether Preservation or Ruin would come out ahead, even if she didn't know what she was deciding.

Perhaps Alcatraz, whose Talent somehow spans all four quadrants of the "Wheel," will be facing a similar choice in a near-future installment.  As a narrator, he even hinted in "Scrivener's Bones" that he would end up causing the problem before he solved it.

As for the mysteriously awesome lens Alcatraz found in the tomb, does this not remind you of when Vin and Kelsier were trying to figure out what malatium did?  Ditto duralumin (sans Kelsier).  It actually makes a lot of sense for this "ultimate lens" to function as a sort of amplifier for all other lenses, come to think of it.

I don't think we'll see any Sazed-like ascensions to Godhood, though.  Not only has there been zero foreshadowing of such an event in this series (while Mistborn, in retrospect, had quite a bit), it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense anyway.

*Although "Identity" is probably concerned with keeping things identifiable -- or mathematically equal to themselves, which would make it pretty close to Preservation, though perhaps with a more neutral or even Librarian personality.  Similarly, "Possibility" speaks of the positive side of change the same way "Ruin" had a somewhat negative spin on it.  Maybe the Alcatraz series is going to try going in the other direction -- letting Yune be the good guy while Ashera causes problems.  Ike fights for his friends.  Sorry.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
I see where you can see the resemblance between the books because there was a topic about this somewhere else and I think Brandon Sanderson uses the same type of things for all of his books. Like the Incarnate Wheel and the Wheel of the Metals for Mistborn look allot alike.

Also both the main characters have some extra ability they really don't know how to control. Vin can't sorta control  how she controlled the mist and that she thinks she is the HoA.  Alcatraz is an oculator and his Smedry Talent he can't control also.

I agree with you about the kandra and the Curators. Oh and both main characters are taught by some sort of pro at their "craft". Grandpa Smedry taught Alcatraz and Kell taught Vin.

About the knights, they are (remember I'm guessing) probably going to get into an argument with the Smedry (aka Alcatraz) because of Bastille's knight being taken away and I'm sure there will be more to it.

Bastille
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:42:28 PM by Bastille »
Nothing gold can stay.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
As for the mysteriously awesome lens Alcatraz found in the tomb, does this not remind you of when Vin and Kelsier were trying to figure out what malatium did?  Ditto duralumin (sans Kelsier).  It actually makes a lot of sense for this "ultimate lens" to function as a sort of amplifier for all other lenses, come to think of it.

Opps!! Forgot to add this part!!

That does remind me of that as well but I think the lenses will help control the Talent because in the tomb of Alcatraz the 1st all the writing really taked about the Talents. In the description it says something about how it was his best lenses and even though he passed it down to his son only if a Talent can break is it dangerous or something like that.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:08 AM »
My all time favorite part.

Quote from: Alcatraz

"Bastille!" I screamed, holding her bloody body in my arms.  "Why?"

She didn't respond.  She just stared into the air, eyes glazed over, her spirit already gone.  I shivered, pulling her close, but the body was growing cold.

{contine the next page and a half}

ha ha.  I loved it.

What I expect to see in the third book do to the title:

We will find out what the third Crystal does as well as more details about what the Fleshstones do.  I also believe that there will be a large fight when the Smedry's show up in Crystallia.  I think the main problem will be that the Librarians are gaining power and the Crystallians will want to be with the party that is strongest within the war.  Then Bastille and her mother will say no and that they are staying on the side of the Smedry's and that the Smedry's will have to find a way to get the Crystallians to stay on their side.

I am also for some reason seeing a Smedry gaining a Crystallian stone of some-sort.  I don't know why, I just see it happening.

The Lense:

I think this Lense will be more connected to the Talents rather than just lenses in general.  I believe it will have something to do with enhancing Talents.  I don't have too much to go on other than a feeling though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Your idea for the third book is really good. I'm wondering now, that we've meet Draulin are all Crystins bad tempered or are any of them happy people? When you said something about a Smedry becoming a Crystin (that would be SO cool), what would happen if that Smedry were an Oculator? Because you have to use Warriors Lenses when your a Crystin but is there a lens that does the same thing as warriors lens?  ???

I still think that Shasta is going to loose the Lenses of Rashid because her Talent will act up. If you remember in teh first book when we see Shasta taking with Blackburn Shasta say:(Shasta) "I was planning to go along, but- (Balckburn) "But what?" (Shasta) "I lost my keys."

If Shasta never lost her keys then she would have been able to go pick up Alcatraz and ether Alcatraz would have never meet Grandpa Smedry or Grandpa Smedry and Shasta would have meet there at the house and that would be VERY interesting. So I'm guessing that Shasta's Talent works when, I don't know how to put this.....when the story could go as people thought it would. Then maybe in the fourth book Shasta teams up with Smedrys and they go looking for the lenses before teh other Librarians.

Also about the crystals in Crystallia and the flesh stones I THINK another one of the flesh stones power is they help keep the Crystins alive. Maybe it helps them heal faster because after Bastille got hurt from Killiman she was still able to get up and the frost on her hand wasn't bothering her. I don't know maybe she's just determined which also makes sense.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »
Cristallians don't HAVE to use warrior lenses, they are just one of the lenses that non-occulators can use.  SO to answer your question about a lens that does the same thing are the warrior lenses.  (that was slightly confusing)

That's a good point about Shasta.  She probably will lose the glasses and I can definitely see them teaming up eventually.  I also seem to think that eventually Bastille is going to become an occulator.  I KNOW Al told us she wouldn't, but he HAS lied to us before. >>

Good observation on the Fleshstone.

I am really excited to figure out what the other stone does though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
My First Crazy Theory: The breaking talent can "break" just about anything, even concepts, if given enough power.  Way back in ancient times, it broke the written word.  The Forgotten Tongue isn't actually forgotten, it was never actually known by anyone.  If this wasn't enough to do the trick on its own, the talent then proceeded to break the Incarnan Empire, either directly or by breaking other things it depended on.

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »
So when Alcatraz "broke" the Forgotten Language inscription, he was breaking it *again*?!?!  Seems weird.  Doesn't rule it out, of course, but the fact that the Forgotten Language is still readable (with the Lord Ruler's Rashid's Lens) means it is still a language.  When Alcatraz breaks text, though, he makes it totally indecipherable.  Then again, he was only breaking an instance of text, not the language itself.  Is it possible to "break" an aspect of something without breaking the whole thing?  i.e. break everyone else's ability to read a language without breaking the language's function?

The reason I thought the mystery lens was something like an oculatory enhancer is because Alcatraz tried activating it and couldn't figure out what it did.  He didn't try to "break" it, though, so you could be right about it enhancing Talents.  If it could do something by itself, though, surely he would have seen something happen when he turned it on.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
It reminds me of Duralumin and how Vin could sense nothing until she burned another metal with it.

Perhaps it only works when certain circumstances are met.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »
Good ideas one and all!! I love all the ideas of the lenses that so far doesn't really do anything. (sorta) I would love Bastille to become an Oculator and I've thought a great deal about that subject. I'm wondering if Alcatraz still has those blood forged lenses, and when he figures out he still has them what will he do with them? I would want him to give them to Bastille and then when she questions him he just says because I trust you and then later she uses them to help Alcatraz. Remember this is just my mind wheeling different ideas of the books.

As always I picture Shasta joining the Smedrys at one point and then watching everyone's reactions to that. Of course Alcatraz, Bastille and Draulin will all object to the decision but of course Attica, Grandpa Smedry and Kaz (if he is still there) will be alright with it.
Nothing gold can stay.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
Some lucky kid has the third book already.  They gave away a manuscript at the HoA signing.  I wanted so hard to win!  But sadly, I didn't.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »
Expanding on my "break anything" theory, I was actually hoping during my read through of Scrivener's Bones that Alcatraz would use his talent to break the Curators' rules and take a book without paying for it.  I was a little disappointed when that never happened.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 01:02:34 AM »
I don't think he has nearly that much power yet, though maybe one day he will.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。