Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 26520 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Dollhouse
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
Lots of great story stuff going on in this episode, but the highlight was simply watching Tudyk hit it out of the park.
Why doesn't that man have a lot more acting gigs? He's really amazing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Lots of great story stuff going on in this episode, but the highlight was simply watching Tudyk hit it out of the park.

Ohmygosh he was so creepy. I'm still shivering just thinking about it.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
Read the interview, and now that it turns out Amy Acker is also invited to those pictionary parties, I really want to get in. Steve, the pact is a go.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2009, 09:00:15 PM »
Read the interview, and now that it turns out Amy Acker is also invited to those pictionary parties, I really want to get in. Steve, the pact is a go.

Full. Of. WIN.

It really is the guys who have the reputation as funny lovable guys that do so well in the creepy. Hopefully this will convince some people that he needs some more screen-time. He needs to get into some Christopher Nolan psychological thriller projects.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2009, 01:50:09 AM »
Loved that Tudyk interview. I laughed at the reference to Serenity when he says he "couldn't stop the signal" once the truth about his *real* role was leaked.

I'd be up for a game of Pictionary with Fillion and Tudyk any day. Hubba, hubba. No, Tudyk isn't "doll" pretty like the others. He even mentions that Joss wanted to go against the typical casting. But I agree w/ Nessa. He's still cute. He sure played a VERY different character from Wash. And he did it brilliantly.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
surprisingly, FOX renewed this last week. all initial thoughts were that it was done.

also the DVD of season 1 will have another episode on it that ties it into season 2. it supposedly won't be aired on TV ever.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »
^W00t! That happened with Firefly as well, with several episodes not being aired. But it really was done after 1 season  :'(
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2009, 05:43:37 AM »
Huzzah! That is super awesome.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
i have to wonder...what would this show have been like with Amy Acker as Echo? I think she is a better actress and could have pulled off the "character" better.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
I don't think she is better, but they are pretty close.  I think Acker would have been phenomenal, but probably would not have been willing to do the shower scenes.

Question, we get the point about the shower early on.  Doesn't it graduate to the gratuitous by episode 4 or 5?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2009, 02:39:06 AM »
Yes.

Which also prompts my question...after the episode where that one doll was getting raped by her handler, we haven't watched any episodes because we don't want to watch a show that's all about sex. Are the episodes after that about sex?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2009, 03:36:51 AM »
I wouldn't say they were about sex to that extent.  Still pretty dark. 
~금강산도 식후경~

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »
Yes.

Which also prompts my question...after the episode where that one doll was getting raped by her handler, we haven't watched any episodes because we don't want to watch a show that's all about sex. Are the episodes after that about sex?

No, Ookla, they weren't about sex. There's still some violence and 'dark content, but on the whole very interesting and entertaining.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

PW

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »
But if they cut out all of the shower scenes, we would not have the hilarious "Man Reaction" bit from Topher.  Also the carrot bit from Alan Tudyk was my favorite comedic moment of the season.  Carrots!  They're medicinal carrots that were here when I got here and now I'm holding them for a friend!"

I am really fanboy excited we get another season.  Though I am not looking forward to the inevitable yearly debate about cancellation of the show.  I'm from Wisconsin.  I'm a Packer fan.  Brett Favre did the indecisive bit for a couple of seasons before he was traded to New York.  I don't think I can go through it again.  <<sniffle, sniffle, sob>>

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
I have to say this is one of my new favorite shows. I am not a fan of Dushku, I don't find her different Doll "roles" believable however I love the supporting cast (<3 Wash and <3 Helo!). Of all the Dolls my favorite is definitely Victor and finding out the Doctor was a Doll was a surprise as well as the fact Ballard asked for November to be released and not Echo who was the whole reason he was chasing after the Dollhouse so hard in the first place.

I'm looking forward to next season though and I can't wait for the DVD's so I can see the episode with Felicia Day!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)