Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 26518 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Dollhouse
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »
If you're in my head, why didn't I find you when I drilled a hole in it huh? Answer that, smart guy!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
I assume you're thinking Ballard, but I honestly don't see that happening. If DeWitt and Dominic knew Ballard was Alpha they'd be handling his situation a whole lot differently.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
I assume you're thinking Ballard, but I honestly don't see that happening. If DeWitt and Dominic knew Ballard was Alpha they'd be handling his situation a whole lot differently.

lol not to mention they've already released who they cast as Alpha. Alan Tudyk.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »
No way. That is super awesome.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 03:11:44 AM »
After this episode Karen said she was pretty much done with the show because she doesn't want to watch something that is all about sex. She's got a point, since this episode was pretty much all about sex. If this was supposed to be the episode that set the tone for the rest of the season, does that mean the show is going to be all about sex?

Well, I don't think I would say it's a show about sex, but sex is certainly very central to it. Not just that, but sex that is, at one level or another, nonconsensual. This episode had three different couples with different degrees of nonconsensualness—one where both people knew it was nonconsensual, one where one person knew it was nonconsensual, and one where neither person knew. The episode went at lengths to say that the first scenario was entirely unacceptable—but it glorified the other two. There was happy happy music at the end, making it clear they expected people to think that the computer millionaire's love for his wife through nonconsensual sex with a doll was sweet. Aww.

You might say that the dolls gave their consent ahead of time. What do you think of a married couple where eventually one of the people experiences severe dementia and doesn't know what's going on around him/her? Is it just fine for the spouse to take advantage of the situation sexually? The dollhouse clients know that their doll has been programmed to consent to sex with them if that's what they ordered.

I am not sure I want to stop watching the show but these questions disturb me. If my wife doesn't want to watch a show where this stuff is presented as the norm, I can't fault her for it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
If this was supposed to be the episode that set the tone for the rest of the season, does that mean the show is going to be all about sex?

With almost all the episodes, I've noticed a stated or implied comparison--"Being a doll is like X" or "X is like being a doll."  Like the suicidal rock star complaining about how her life was not her own and she had to be what everyone else wanted her to be.  Maybe the theme of that episode was "Being a doll is like being a rape victim." 
~금강산도 식후경~

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 04:41:46 AM »

lol not to mention they've already released who they cast as Alpha. Alan Tudyk.
You Sir need help. :D
MrWiki Gots the info! ya! @_@

I am currently held up in distant parts of the wilderness hunting captivated deer.
So I've missed this las episode:(
Sorry, Not sleeping makes me CrankY!
And Ifyou think of PMing methe plot ill put you on ignore! beware  >:(

So to make this statement politicaly blabla, ill have to XPLSD DEL an EXPLSD DEL with EXPLSD DEL!Thankyou for reading this bull.

Can you hear it? The whisper of the wind!
No! I cannot, I Reject your reality and Replace it With my OWN! Muahaha!

Did you knowyou can cool your beer super fast with salt!?

This is For you, neysayer. Yes dis one good for the anti. Do you like Cöffeh?
Thiis is an hostile takeover of your thread. Prepare to realse your keyboard and download nothing but pr0n!

Whats thats? Its a shy-lapplander. He is askings whyim stealings his deers. :( g2g

If you have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion please refrain from absurd and nonsensical comments.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 04:51:07 AM »
I find lentils completely incomprehensible.
~금강산도 식후경~

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
I just watched the latest episode (ep 7). There were a few small logic holes, but overall I was entertained. I was hoping for a different scenario to the craziness happening (the real cause was a bit of a let-down), but it was all for set-up i suppose.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »
The real let-down was "the drug will go away on its own in a few hours." I was really looking forward to the brilliant solution the drug-addled leaders came up with to solve the problem, and then it was all solved by itself without their input.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »
exactly. this was part of the solution that was a letdown. I was hoping it was a conspiracy to take down the Dollhouse, but it was just a kid wanting to make money. boooooo.

advance feedback on the next episode was good, so I have hope.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »
Ah yes the inimitable "magic bullet".  Oh hey! no! I mean the very imitable....

But really I watch to see a certain Romanian babe make googoo eyes at the camera...
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
Ep 8 was pretty good if a little slow. I have the distinct feeling when watching this show that they are having trouble cutting down to 45 min episodes. There are so many times where the episodes feel choppy as they try to get in all of the story points in the 45 min time-frame.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Commercial interruptions are too long anyway.  They should shoot 50 minute format and just charge more for ads.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
I haven't commented on Dollhouse in a while, but I just saw the latest episode and I continue to be very, very impressed. I loved last week's when it looked like they were really going nuts with the premise, until I realized at the end that they were just going to push a reset button and undo all the plot progress they'd made. This week, though, proved me wrong--they are more than willing to change major characters, shift directions, and advance the overall plot in some crazy ways, all without sacrificing each individual episode. I really loved it. I hope more people get over their initial reservations with this show and give it another chance.