Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 26522 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Dollhouse
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:06:27 AM »
Anyone watching this?

I really, really like it. This is one good show—and Joss Whedon has learned his lesson. He's not fooling around with filler episodes—which with this show he could have easily done—but has gotten right to the meat. He knows he may only have a few shows to really make something special, and that's exactly what he's done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Dollhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
I've watched the first two episodes on hulu (I guess there's a new one now?).  I wasn't immediately captivated but interested enough to stick with it for a bit and see where it goes. 
~금강산도 식후경~

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
I saw the first and third episodes (the second got preempted by Larry Miller coverage), and I really like it. It isn't as funny as Whedon's other shows, but that isn't a bad thing.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
the first 2 episodes were fine (not amazing, but good). I had problems with the 3rd one. lots of holes. it was handled like a filler episode, but it had important info in it that wasn't executed well.

the show is supposed to turn into "crazy awesome show" by episode 6.

what i do like is the uncomfortable morality established. what i dont like is that they haven't firmly established the FBI agent's motivations. kinda makes it hard to root for him - and i really want to (not to mention, what kind of idiot FBI goes into an abandoned building mentioned by the mob by himself?).

I like where the series can go, but the trail is full of landmines. either it is going to blow up, or avoid them nicely.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
What holes did you find in the 3rd episode? It was my favorite so far...I dunno, the others didn't break so much ground for me as this one did (ep 2 was good but...The Most Dangerous Game has been done so many times already). (Though it's true that Life on Mars and Chuck both already had "protect the rock star who's getting death threats" episodes in 2009...something must be in the water.) I loved the little touches that you had to be paying attention or you wouldn't see, like the head shake at the end.

The FBI agent who goes into an abandoned mob building by himself does so because everyone else at the FBI thinks he's a laughingstock. However, he was dumb not to be wearing a vest.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:57:36 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
the major hole was that the other Active was there for if things got out of hand. they tried to explain it by saying "oh, she took attention off the singer." that was a terribad explanation for why Sierra didn't kick his head in earlier. she was there as back-up, and yet she did absolutely nothing. it was a poor way for them to get across the "friend" arc they have going on. they should be checking her wiring to see why she was so awful.

the nod at the end was fine, and it sets the show going in the right direction. however the story mechanism used to get there was clumsy at best.

i did enjoy that the mob contact the FBI guy has was an active. not totally surprising, but carried out well. 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »
Okay, you're right. That's a problem. I don't know why she didn't do a thing except let herself get kidnapped. Maybe there was some kind of trigger but it was set to go off later. Dunno.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
exactly. I mean, it's pretty obvious the intention of the whole event - show Echo's adaptability, to show that something is going very wrong with the memory wipes, and to show that Echo has a connection to her "friend." it was just clumsily handled. All that said, i REALLY like the potential of the series. I'm excited for Friday. over the next few episodes is where things are supposed to show why the series will be great.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »
Thus far I've really liked the show; I'm not just watching it because I hope it gets good, I think it's already more interesting than almost anything else on TV at the moment. I think the main problem people are having with it is that there is no consistent main character--but the head shake at the end was a very welcome way to start solving that problem.

My favorite character, for some reason, is the girl who lives across the hall from Helo. Probably because she's the only normal person in the show.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
I really enjoyed the third episode. Yes, some things happened because the plot required it, but it was still so enjoyable. I find this show really engaging, and I'm not sure why it seems like so many people don't think it's good. I'm not sure what they were expecting.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »
I like the show so far, but I have to say I expected it to be funny like Buffy. The ONLY reason I started watching it was because I saw in an ad that Joss Whedon was writing it. The previews for it held no interest for me otherwise. It's okay that it's not funny, but I can't think of one show I'm watching right now (outside of a couple sitcoms) that are funny like that. I miss that (dramedies).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »
Chuck might be considered a dramedy... I didn't watch Buffy though so don't know if it would compare in your view.

Yeah. The Dollhouse previews emphasized sexiness. That's not the point of the show at all.

Tonight's episode was cool but there wasn't any build from the previous one with the head shake at the end.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
Did you know Eliza Dushku was (or used to be) LDS?
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:04 AM »
No, but there are a lot of people like that. Katherine Heigl, Jewel, etc.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
So I am currently watching the first episode of this show.  It is absolutely awesome.

The concept of this show is unimaginably captivating and unique. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。