Author Topic: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness  (Read 9057 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »
It's not that I mind the new people.  I just don't like the complete take over by WoT stuff.  ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 03:07:57 AM »
Must say valid complaints...though i must disagree with the opinion as i believe WoT is a more enjoyable read than even LoTR... and had not BS been selected to write it i would probably never gotten the pleasure to read his most enjoyable work... and while i find WoT as the best series ever in the genre (and what other genre is worth reading outside of Sci-fi/ Fantasy) I think there is no debate over who is more original and that is definately BS and i hope to see him become as reknowned as Robert Heinlen ect. I find BS to be the most promising author of the current era.. thanks for your books and keep them coming!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
I look at it this way.  In one year time the WoT series will be finished and the WoT talk will slowly subside after the initial review cycle.  After that you will have acquired a lot of active posters on the site and will have a larger group of people to discuss future BS books.  So while the pains of having us WoT junkies may bother some people in the short term.  It will attract more BS postings in the long run after the release of the last WoT book.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
That applies to me...Wow.... :-*
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 12:16:52 AM »
Here's where I show my colors. Yes, I am, in fact, a nerd.

Right now, I count 3 (unstickied) WoT posts on the first page (out of 14). That's around 21%, or 1/5. Brandon has 6.5 published novels (the .5 is for Warbreaker, of which drafts are available but the final version has yet to be published). By the time AMoL comes out, that number will have risen to 8 (due to Warbreaker/Alcatraz 3). I think.

So, the book's "fair share" would be 1/8, or 12.5%. That means it's getting 8.5% more attention than it would if all of Brandon's books were equally popular topics of discussion.

If, however, you look at "Announced but Unpublished" books, AMoL is definitely getting more than its fair share of attention. There are three of those, but the other two have one (Alcatraz) and zero (warbreaker, though it has a sticky) threads on the first page. However, I think it deserves a 3:1 attention ratio; I mean, come on, it's the Wheel of Time:P

So cheer that panda up - WoT has not taken over at all! :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
I may have come here because of WoT, but as I said in a previous post, I've actually become more excited about continuing my readings of Mr. Sanderson's works than the idea of AMoL (not that I love WoT any less than I did before).  Anyways, I plan on catching up on the worlds of EUOL, then I'd love to find some great theory discussions to jump in on with all of you!
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
Wow  Ryos you are a man/woman after my own heart...

And wolfstar i concur... and while WoT is the best fantasy i have ever read I am happy to see Mr. Sandersons out of the box thinking and he is fast becoming my favorite author in the genere (its a three way tie currently with Roger Zelazany, he wrote Amber and is a 6 time Hugo award winner, Robert Heinlein, come on everyone knows him, and our dear Brandon Sanderson, who is the only one still alive I think).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:41:25 PM by Champion Kaz »

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
Thanks for the analysis, ryos, you made me smile because I like to do the same kind of thing.

So here's another way of looking at it.

Counting all threads on the first page, including stickies, here is the breakdown I see:

• 7 administrative or general topics, not related to a particular book or series (welcomes, fan art, shards, hoid, sad pandas, story of the day)
  • 6 topics related to the Mistborn trilogy (including Wheel vs. Mist)
  • 5 topics related to the Wheel of Time (including Wheel vs. Mist)
  • 1 topic each for Warbreaker, Alcatraz, and Dragonsteel

So it seems to me, at this point, that discussion is pretty evenly divided between Wheel of Time and Mistborn, which was Miyabi's original complaint.

That is, unless we start counting pages of posts within each topic, in which case we have 79 for Mistborn and 71 for Wheel of Time.

I'm not even going to try to count the number of posts in each category in the last 3 months, though I feel that too would be an illuminating analysis.   ;)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »
Yeah, but when I originally posted this topic nearly the entire first page was WoT related topics and it had been that way for some time.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »
Some of the non-WoT topics currently on the front page were started primarily in response to this topic, too.  e.g. Bastille's "Let's get giggly about Alcatraz!!" topic.

Oh, sorry.  I'm being a meanie again.  :(

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:45 AM »
Cheer up Miyabi, I'm back now.

I'd basically severed all contact so I could bury myself in work, struggling through the grieving process. Just be happy you missed out on the bargaining stage; I had to dust off the old schoolgirl outfit but don't really feel comfortable discussing anything beyond that. Ok, PM me for details.

Anyway, after MB3 I had a full plate, accepting a programmer position with a different company and getting the old crew together to publish some iPhone apps. I have a few other projects that I am currently working on :hush hush: but decided my presence needed to be felt on a renewed basis since things were starting to get out of hand with 7 administrative or general topics taking over the board.

I also kind of glossed over the first stage of the grief process, so look forward in the coming days for some new threads discussing what might happen when MB3 comes out. You stay classy Miyabi.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »
Hey now, I'm rather enjoying that topic. Welcome back Vegas! :D  You should PM me details. >>'
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
You should PM me details. >>'

Oh man, if you had asked just a moment sooner. Brandon Sanderson has just purchased rights to it for his next book or 2009 Christmas card; he didn't specify.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »
0.O Urhm, OK then. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
Welcome back, Vegas.  You make me laugh.
He ate my horse.