Author Topic: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'  (Read 43161 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 04:32:07 AM »
I still vote it smells fishy. >>
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 04:44:48 AM »
Second

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »
I mean, IMO the way it was worded means that Sazed has his power and used the mist to help influence.  His power = both Ruin and Preservation.  Now there is another mist. . . .
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
Ruin and Preservation are still two distinct powers, regardless of the fact that they happen to be controlled by the same mind now.  Each has its own mist, and Sazed's ascension doesn't change that.  I just reread the ending of HoA, including the part where Sazed takes up the powers, and the wording there is quite explicit that the forces of Ruin and Preservation remain separate even under his control.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:28:49 AM by douglas »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
Yes. The two forces are 1. Preservation, and 2. Ruin. Strictly Ockham's Razor here (which says the simplest solution is usually right), if there are two forces, and one of said forces (Preservation) was the normal mists you saw in the Final Empire, then... the "other" mist is simply the second force. Nothing mysterious or fishy there.

And, just as douglas said, Sazed is keeping the two forces distinct.

Also, you can see that directly before Sazed takes the two powers, Vin's body (of Preservation) emits a white gas like the mist, whereas Ati's (if you aren't familiar with the name Ati, that is simply Ruin's real name) emits a black smoke. There's your two mists for you.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
i like anchor it sounds cooler than featherweight

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
Yes. The two forces are 1. Preservation, and 2. Ruin. Strictly Ockham's Razor here (which says the simplest solution is usually right), if there are two forces, and one of said forces (Preservation) was the normal mists you saw in the Final Empire, then... the "other" mist is simply the second force. Nothing mysterious or fishy there.

And, just as douglas said, Sazed is keeping the two forces distinct.

Also, you can see that directly before Sazed takes the two powers, Vin's body (of Preservation) emits a white gas like the mist, whereas Ati's (if you aren't familiar with the name Ati, that is simply Ruin's real name) emits a black smoke. There's your two mists for you.
If you want to be precise, Ockham's "Razor" is a "principle of economy."  Unnecessary assumptions are to be removed, leaving only the first sufficient cause or explanation.

So all the principle of economy says is that there's no need to create a second entity to control the second mist; Sazed is sufficiently powerful to control both mists at once.  It does not say what the second mist is composed of.  Logical reasoning of a different sort, however, leads us to assume that the second mist is probably Ruin's power.

I think it likely that Tineyes will be unable to pierce black mist - it'll probably thicken in their view.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
I doubt it thickens the view or else inquisters would have had problems using hermualgy to penetrate the normal mist...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »
That depends on whether stolen tin-burning counts as hemalurgy or allomancy.  But I guess you're right - it's probably hemalurgy since it repels Preservation-mist.

RazorSmile

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »
I had a thought about the feruchemical application of Cerrobend (or are we calling it Not!Cerrobend?). Perhaps the Feruchemical Misting (we really need a one-word term for that by the way) could store their ability to see the present and thus be stuck seeing the past of their location (kinda like Allomantic gold-vision). When the time comes to tap it, they get to see into the future for a while. It would be one of those like Iron where storing into it is as useful as tapping.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
It's official name is now Bendalloy.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »
I hate that name... stupid copyright laws!

I don't think that there will be any Temporal Feruchemical powers; that seems like it would be out of place. I also don't think that there will be any metal that allows Feruchemical stores to be shared or transferred or other such things that I read in another thread.
I do, however, have a speculation for one of the metals... now I just need a name:

Aluminium : (Name here) - Stores Pain

What do you think?

On the general names, I was thinking that there could be:

Burner - Allomantic Mistings.
Tapper - Feruchemical Mistings.
Misting - Someone that can burn one metal and store in a different one.
(Metal name) Misting - Someone that can burn one metal and store in the same metal.
Full (Metal name) Misting - Someone that can burn one metal and store in all of them.

I like those and they make sense... I like them enough to modify the first post again to add them and ask for suggestions for different ones that may be better.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 04:29:31 AM »

I require a source citation!  If you have one then I'll update the Wikipedia page.
I figured I'd ask before I did it, just to cover my ass.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 03:16:24 AM »
The only source I have is my eyes unfortunately. I saw the updated version of the Allomancy poster at the Warbreaker release party and noted what metal replaced Cerrobend.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 03:54:48 AM »

I require a source citation!  If you have one then I'll update the Wikipedia page.
I figured I'd ask before I did it, just to cover my ass.

My source is Zas's mouth :P