Author Topic: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'  (Read 28451 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »
tinmind:  Afferent or Sensorial?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
It's a hell of a lot better than Sensor!  Afferent it is!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »
For some reason the word Afferent makes me think of this, but I don't know why:

Quote from: knights
We are no longer the knights who say ni.  We are now the knights who say ekki ekki ekki ptang zoom boing zurningham.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:15:06 AM »
Oh my gosh. It's Monty Python! I'm so glad I finally watched that movie a couple months ago otherwise I totally wouldn't have got that....And I'm afraid that I can't help you with the relationship 'afferent' has to the Knights who used to say Ni. (although on semi-related side note, I now have a craving to start saying 'Ni' all the time....Hmm....)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
I have to agree with Miyabi on anchor.  We see in many fights where it is better to loose weight to be able to jump off a cliff and be light as a feather and float down or to jump high in the air and be out of the way of others.  It could also be a food mode of transport to have someone carry you.  Maybe something like undulator for fluctuator for there drastic changes in weight. 

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
My two cents:  I really like the term Anchor, even if it only describes half the ability.  The ability to float might occasionally come in handy, but the extra weight is really impressive in battle.  It sticks in the mind.
Nature hates being reified.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »
Ironmind : Anchor is good but how about Featherweight.  It describes both aspects of the "talent."
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »
I like featherweight. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
I like featherweight better then the two I had.  Its more descriptive of both aspects of the ability.  I believe it in the book Brandon is going to use both aspects as benifits so it would be better to have both in the name. 

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »
What about Brawler for Pewtermind
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
Rrikor:
I've only seen the weight storing being effective in non-combat situations: Sazed in his Kandra cage and Sazed as he dropped down in to the valley where the Conventical of Seran was.  And remember, he did have to use his Pewtermind to help him break his fall, it doesn't seem to be a light-as-a-feather thing.  I suspect that if it were then storing strength would makes you unable to move and storing eyesight would make you blind.
I actually considered the being carried or even thrown angle of the ability but there is the very real question of practicality.  While those could have their uses(And obviously they will) the most practical use for and Ironmind would be to be an immovable object, a center of battle that no matter how hard you hit they simply cannot be moved, or a battering ram, etc.  As I said in my initial response to miyabi I'm hoping for creative exceptions to this as they should definitely exist, but I can't see most as using both sides equally.  I have it in my mind as more of an Ironmind's base state is extremely light, constantly storing weight simply as a matter of moving faster and being more agile(Nothing matching a Steelmind, I'm sure, but to a regular person, I'd see a light Ironmind appearing 'adept') and that the main focus of the Ironmind's powers would be the strategic use of weight.  I see that as the common thing for them to be.  Of course, as with the nature of 'common', there will be people who strive to be the opposite, but I don't know all that is in Mr. Sanderson's mind so I don't know how it could all play out for an opposite of my perception.

miyabi:
I do like Featherweight, but I still like Anchor better.  ;)
When I choose Brute for the Pewtermind I specifically wanted something that mirrored the common Allomantic name for the user of the metal, especially since the effects are so very similar.  I would have gone with the same thing for Tinmind's as well, but I've always hated that Tin burners were called Tineyes.  I understand it for the mist-filled world but the world in which these new names are going to be created is going to be mist-free(At least gaseous-body-of-Preservation-mist-free).  I don't know...

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
If I remember correctly, it's stated that Sazed used his weight in battle in the second book, during the huge battle, (i'm trying not to give away big spoilers, but im pretty sure the point is moot anyways here, but i think you know the one i mean) to add extra "oomph" to his attacks on top of his increased strength
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
I specifically say at the beginning of this thread that there will be spoilers.  If someone has continued on after I warned them, it's their bad.  I avoided things with spoilers even though I wanted to know so very bad; others would learn well to do the same unless they really want to know.

I can't remember if he specifically used his weight in the fight with the Koloss, but he did become an "anchor" to hold the gate shut when they charged(Actually where I got the term.).  But he absolutely did use his weight against the Kandra Fifths in combat once he was let out of his cage in MB3.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
yeah, but i always feel better if i put as little spoilers as possible, even in a thread that has to have spoilers. Ironically, I enjoy reading spoilers before i get to them when i read books, i dunno why, but I know others hate it with a passion.

Yeah, I remembered when he made himself a literal human anchor, but I could have sworn he used it like i previously stated against the Koloss. I could also be wrong, though :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »
My books are in a room with a sleeping person, I'll check on it as soon as possible.