Author Topic: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'  (Read 28447 times)

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
I understand it for the mist-filled world but the world in which these new names are going to be created is going to be mist-free(At least gaseous-body-of-Preservation-mist-free).  I don't know...
I don't feel like going to the effort of digging up the post right now, but I remember Brandon mentioning in the Q&A thread that there would still be mists - two types of them, in fact - and that it would be easier for Sazed to do things in areas covered by them.

Regardless, I don't see how the presence or absence of Mist has any bearing on the name "Tineye".

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »
Sazed also used his weight in his fight with Marsh at the end of WoA. I don't have my book to be sure, but I'm pretty sure he dove through the air, and Marsh threw something at him, and Sazed put all his weight in the metalmind and began to float....or something.

And I personally also like the term "featherweight." I think it fits, since it gets both aspects across, whereas Anchor really only gets one....I like Anchor, but...Featherweight's just a little better.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 01:20:25 AM »
Eerongal:
Sazed mentions, only in passing, that he used his ironmind it shove Koloss when they needed to be shoved.  So he does indeed use his ironmind in his fight against them, but most of it is used when he closes and holds Steel Gate against them.

douglas:
I was making specific reference to the reason that Tineyes could see through the mists when, in reality, they shouldn't have been able to.  It was because the mists of the time were the Body of Preservation in gaseous form.
As for the mists themselves, this seems to be the only mention of 500 years from MB3 mists:
Hi, new here, registered just so I could ask some questions:

2) When the Mists come back, will they continue Snapping people?

2)  No.  The mists will revert back to their more neutral state.

For me, this says, 'It'll be like before the death of the Lord Ruler.'  So, nightly fog.

little_wilson:
Actually, the opposite is true.  I just finished re-reading the fight between Marsh and Sazed and what Sazed did, every time he tapped his ironmind, was increase his weight and screw up Marsh's pulls and pushes.  He even used his weight to drag Marsh to him and smash his face with a lamp(And all that stored weight).  He never stored any weight during that combat.  Either way, I recommend reading it again, it's really good.  8)

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 02:07:25 AM »
I went and found the post I was thinking of.  Note point 2:
1.  The metal chunk that Elend ate is intended to be something of a mystery.  Much like atium, actually.  Suffice it to say that Atium isn't, and never was, what people thought it was. 

I intended Allomancy to be much like a real science.  People investigate and put things into boxes, trying to describe and understand the world around them.  That doesn't mean they always get things right, however. 

Let me say this, as I don't want to spoil too much.  If that metal Elend ate were fused into specific alloys with certain metals, it could have instead created Mistings of each of the different Allomantic powers.  Atium's abilities are not entirely explored yet either.

2.  Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy all work as they once did.  However, now they are more directly affected by the presence or absence of the mists, which will slowly return to the world but not be of the extent they once were.  (The mists are now an extent of Sazed's power, and where they roam, he is better able to influence things.  There will also be two kinds of mists.)  Note that in the future, Feruchemy powers will start to fracture and split, creating Feruchemical "Mistings." 

Yes, this means that in the future series, it will be possible for a person to have one Allomantic power and one Feruchemical power.  It will create for some very interesting mixing of powers.

3.  The Terris prophesies were created by Preservation before he attempted his imprisonment.  He knew that he wouldn't be able to do much for the world after he did what he did, and he foresaw a LOT of what was to come. 

4.  Way before Alendi's time.  Hence the need for the prophesies.  But Ruin managed to corrupt them.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 05:36:12 AM »
Well, either way, it was made rather clear in the books themselves that Tineyes could see into the mists the higher they flared their metal because it was gaseous Preservation and that Sazed couldn't penetrate the mists like Tineyes could because it was just his normal human vision multiplied several times.
I mentioned it because of the obviousness of the connection between Feruchemy and Allomancy concerning pewter and tin and how I have Pewterarm and Pewtermind as 'Thug' and 'Brute' respectively because of their connection, but I don't want to do the same with tin.  I found a viable reason for my hypocrisy.  :P
I still don't know...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »
:o Another Mist?!?!?!

(Don't know how I missed that my first time through that thread. ha ha.)

I wonder what it does.

>>
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
I was wondering both of those very same things!  :-[

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Well, there are two mists in Mistborn Prime. It could be like that.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:09 PM »
I guess I didn't read enough of Mistborn PRIME.

Did it mention what the two types of mists do?  I wonder if, in the next series, the Sazed-mists are going to enhance Feruchemical and Allomantic powers...

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 01:22:08 AM »
The first type of mist is the normal, white mist that we are all used to. This mist is of Preservation. The second type of mist is the black mist of Ruin. The black mist appears once in MB2 and a few times in MB3 when Ruin appeared.

The time where the black smoke appeared in MB2 was in the Chamber of Ascension after Vin lets go of the power.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:13 AM »
Perhaps Ruin didn't lose all of himself in the fight when Sazed took over the power. >>
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »
No, of course not. Neither Ruin's nor Preservation's power "deplete". The small fragment of power of Preservation at the Well of Ascension was tiny, but it didn't go away, it was replenished. Sazed, however, has essentially all of the power from both Ruin and Preservation, power which he says does not run out.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »
No, of course not. Neither Ruin's nor Preservation's power "deplete". The small fragment of power of Preservation at the Well of Ascension was tiny, but it didn't go away, it was replenished. Sazed, however, has essentially all of the power from both Ruin and Preservation, power which he says does not run out.
Well then where would the other mist come from?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 03:47:26 AM »
Ruin's power, no longer contained by Preservation's trap but now controlled by Sazed.

I would guess that in the normal mists Sazed will have an easier time using Preservation's power and in the new kind of mist he will have an easier time using Ruin's power.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:04 AM »
Ruin's power, no longer contained by Preservation's trap but now controlled by Sazed.

I would guess that in the normal mists Sazed will have an easier time using Preservation's power and in the new kind of mist he will have an easier time using Ruin's power.

That's a very logical assumption.