Author Topic: Obama wants to halve budget deficit  (Read 11649 times)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: Obama wants to halve budget deficit
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
I fail to see how this helps ANY money get "given back to the people". Most of these decisions lately are going to end up costing us people (read tax-payers) more money in the form of higher taxes.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
The government already pumps out a lot of money.  This plan's goal is to decrease how much is sent out.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
darxbane, the Korean fraud was about Hwang Woo-Suk faking cloning embryonic stem cells from adult DNA. That's not the same thing as most standard embryonic stem cell research.

Also, according to Wikipedia the cell lines don't run out because stem cells do not have a Hayflick limit.

Stem cells do not lead to drugs. Stem cells are a completely different type of treatment that is antithetical to drug companies' "get people on a drug that they have to pay for over and over again and then invent a slightly different drug that you say is better right when the patent on the old drug runs out" system.

As for it being 50 years off, I dunno...there are clinical trials already happening. 50 years is a long time.

I don't work in the industry and don't pretend to know all about it, but I think you're overstating it a bit.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
The majority of Stem Cell research is being done by private companies.  As competition in the field begins to grow it will speed up development and decrease prices for treatments.

That is just my speculation though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
The majority of stem cell research is being done by Universities, not private companies.  Besides, since I feel the private sector does a better job funding money than the government, I'm not a big fan of them funding anything so broadly.  Just google this subject and you will see that many research facilities are worried that Obama's lift on the ban is going to cause private investors to pull their money now that the Feds are involved, especially if their taxes will be going up.  I have more on this, but will save it for another post.

Miyabi - I am seeing the point quite clearly.  You are saying that people should give more to the government and keep giving the same amount away to charities.  Why?  They earned it, and the government certainly hasn't proven they can do better with it.  Besides, rewarding people for being charitable saves the government much more money than they give back.  The fact is that many people (especially those of average income) will not donate as much money to charities if Uncle Sam is picking their pocket.  They will begin to expect the government to take care of it instead.  People are already taxed seven different ways to Sunday, and unless your an Obama pick for a Cabinet seat, you have to actually pay them.  Have you not yet realized that the more money you give the government, the more things you expect them to control, the less control you have over your life.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Where did I say that people were giving more to the government? I said the government is giving people who donate to charity less.  Which won't hurt their pockets at all.  I never said to give more to the government.

Also there is a lot being done in privatizing stem cell research.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
About the charities... I don't really understand why anyone could think that taking choice and money away from the private sector and giving more money to the government, which is historically proven to be absolutely terrible at managing money, could be a good idea.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 03:09:05 AM »
As the silly adage goes:  "If you're democrat, you have no brain.  If you're Republican, you have no heart."
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
I guess that makes me Dorothy or Toto because I'm Independent.....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
As the silly adage goes:  "If you're democrat, you have no brain.  If you're Republican, you have no heart."

:(

I'm all for charities, believe me  :D But I doubt they will be getting much more money than they were getting before...

Not only that but this takes some choice away from private citizens. The portion of the money that the government is using to give will not be given to the charity of their choice, but rather who Congress decides it should go to.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »
Exactly.  Miyabi, by the government giving back less, they are keeping more, which means that more of our tax dollars are used by the government.  By reducing charitable tax deductions, you are giving the government more money.   Of course, if you want to discuss how the tax system in general should be simplified to prevent all of this foolishness, I am willing.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »
I personally believe that we need a libertarian government, but I also don't think that the majority of the people in this country couldn't deal with it.  Too many people rely on the money they get from the government.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
Exactly.  Miyabi, by the government giving back less, they are keeping more, which means that more of our tax dollars are used by the government.  By reducing charitable tax deductions, you are giving the government more money.   Of course, if you want to discuss how the tax system in general should be simplified to prevent all of this foolishness, I am willing.
By reducing how much is put out by the government now, we can reduce how much it takes in later.  Eventually making it so that people can live their lives without having to rely on money being distributed by the government and thus, at some point in the future, we can significantly decrease the amount of power that the government has without causing large amounts of people to become homeless/lost/strongly effected by the decrease in power.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 03:53:50 AM »
I fully support reducing government spending!

...which is exactly the opposite of what Obama is doing...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."