Author Topic: Now's your time, Dan...  (Read 5661 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Now's your time, Dan...
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/arts/18arts-AUSTENMEETSA_BRF.html?_r=2&ref=arts

For some viewers the idea of another Jane Austen-inspired period drama is sufficiently monstrous, but a coming film project seeks to update the formula with actual monsters, Variety reported. The movie “Pride and Predator,” directed by Will Clark and written by Mr. Clark with Andrew Kemble and John Pape, will juxtapose brooding aristocrats with a brutal alien that lands in 1800s-era Britain, attacking residents and leaving them with neither sense nor sensibility. The film, to be produced by Elton John’s Rocket Pictures, is the latest work to mix the hoary costume genre with elements of horror. A book called “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” credited to Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith and published by Quirk Books, will combine the Austen novel with “all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action.” And a coming novel by Michael Thomas Ford called “Jane Bites Back” depicts Austen as a frustrated vampire, taking revenge on those who have made money from her work.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Now's your time, Dan...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:07 AM »
Pitch A Night of Blacker Darkness to every publishing house NOW!
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:35:14 AM »
Seems to be a lot of this going around lately.

Go get 'em, Fell.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:53:37 AM by Silk »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
lol yeah, I saw this on Patrick Rothfuss' blog. He's just like, "yeah...I find myself not caring."
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
That's where I saw it too.  I had a similar reaction.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
It sounds like hack work to me. I guess we'll see.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »
Cue lame pun about hack and slash.

I'll be interested to hear anyone's reactions should they check it out. I anticipate apathy will prevent me from doing so myself.

(Now, if Dan were to write us one of these... ;))

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
I knew it was going mainstream (and getting more annoying) when Wait. . .Wait Don't Tell Me had it on the program a couple of weeks ago.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »
As an armchair Austen scholar (and a horror writer to boot), I have to admit that I'm actually really intrigued by this sudden surge in Austen/horror mash-ups. Assuming that they are actually done well, with the right style of language and enough Austen-style cleverness, these ideas might turn out to be really cool.

On the other hand, this is just one more example of other people getting famous with ideas that I had first (for example, Dead Like Me and Dexter). I really can't wait for the day when I finally scoop someone else, instead of the other way around.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »
Yeah, it's one of those things that sounds like it COULD be interesting, given the right stuff. It'd just be so very, very easy to do wrong.

We're all waiting for the day when you scoop someone else, too. With bated breath. ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
Ha ha.  I have a friend who would freak if she knew people were writing things like that. She loves Jane Austin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »
Wait...Austen wasn't already a horror writer? Her works sure fill me with dread...
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is selling now (very well, apparently) and Amazon has their Search Inside previews up. I read the first couple pages, and it's pretty darn amusing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »
My local Barnes and Noble had a table full of Jane Austen stuff, and with it there were a couple of copies of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies there. My friends got a huge kick out of it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »
So: because Ookla was totally right about the market timing, I sent this book to my agent, she loved it, I did some rewrites, and we are now shopping it around. So here's hoping.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net