Author Topic: What's So Great About Schlock Mercenary?  (Read 3186 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
What's So Great About Schlock Mercenary?
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
So. Why should I read your comics? I've never really been big on comics or cartoons, unless you count Calvin and Hobbes in fifth grade  :P Why should I start now? What's your pull?

Basically, what's so great about Schlock Mercenary?

Other people besides Howard feel free to chime in too  :P  Just tell me why I should be interested  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Howard Tayler

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What's So Great About Schlock Mercenary?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
Epic space opera, told four panels at a time.

There's the pitch. :-)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
somehow I knew you would give a short answer...  :P
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
Its like if Battlestar Galactica and mystery science theater 3000 had a baby and then that baby hooked up with a pile of green goo.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »
Its like if Battlestar Galactica and mystery science theater 3000 had a baby and then that baby hooked up with a pile of green goo.

I'm sold.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
How 'bout this?

It makes me laugh.  Consistently.  The story manages to be epic, but the four-panel-a-day gags still end up funny, and sometimes just a little bit subtle.
Nature hates being reified.

MooseDrool

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »
Everyone has his or her own opinion about what is worth reading.
I only have three on-line comic links and Schlock Mercenary is one of them ( Girl Genius and Buck Godot are the other two )

I like it because the story line is original and often funny and always (mostly always) clever. If I can't wait for tomorrow because I NEED to know what happens next, it's worthy of my time. I like it enough that I spent the cold hard cash on hard copies of the books. Besides, who doesn't find a heavily armed sentient pile of poop funny?

So, go to the Archives link, pick a series ( Try Book 3: Under New Management if you are turned off by starter graphics but want to get a taste of the strip) and read through till you decide if you like it. If you do, buy some stuff to support Mr. Taylor (or just read it and move on you cheap bastard). If you don't, no harm, no foul, it's just not your cup of tea.

I'm sure you will like it and we will all be anxiously waiting for your approval and praise. ;)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:03:13 AM »
Just so everyone knows...I've read all of Schlock through book three until now in about a week. In my defense, for about half of that week I was home sick...
but yeah. I think its safe to say I like it.