Author Topic: Happy Things 2009: We're Still Here  (Read 71374 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Happy Things 2009: We're Still Here
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
Windows 7 arrived. It looks wonderful on my monitor.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2009, 12:58:36 AM »
I got my Calculus test back today. At the top, there was a great big 75 circled. Now granted, this is not a great score, but when you consider that I'd previously been informed my score was below 56%, that's good. Turns out, the teacher made a mistake, and as a result, there was 1 A, 1 B, 3 Cs, 15Ds, and 13 Fs between both classes. The high score was a 94% rather than a 56 as we at first thought. And of course, the problems that I did miss were really stupid mistakes. I got all the hard ones perfect and missed the easy ones due to sloppy algebra. Oh well, life goes on. Plus there's always retakes if this kills my grade too bad.

But 75! That's a simultaneos "Ouch, that kills my 96% in the class," and "YEY! I DIDN'T FAIL!!!!" (Capitalized because I really was feeling like shouting at this point. I almost did. Then I decided that probably wasn't a good plan)
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2009, 05:48:48 AM »
Three things:

1. There's this place called The Haunted Mill here in eastern Idaho, and I've never been to it. But I really want to go, and I think my roommate and I may go tomorrow. Or Thursday. And I'm really excited. Because I want to see what it's like. Although I'm not normally a big fan of being scared, so I'm probably going to scream a lot...

2. This past summer, there was a group of girls in my apartment complex that started up a prank-fest with a group of guys in the guys apartments nearby. The police eventually had to intervene to stop them....I was talking to the girls yesterday, with a few other girls, and they're thinking about starting up the prank-fest again. And I can help. Pranking is so much fun.

3. I'm going home on Friday! And my sisters are going to use their awesome skills from their stage makeup class to turn me into something. I wanted to have an eyeball hanging out of my head, but my sister thinks I won't want that on my face all night. So maybe I'll just be a battered woman....or something.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2009, 12:41:27 AM »
The Haunted Mill isn't really that scary, wilson. The real fun is in going with people who are really easily scared. That way, instead of being scared yourself (which doesn't really work for me with the Haunted Mill), you get to laugh at all the people who are scared and how they react.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
Yeah...um....I'm in the category of the people who get scared really easily. I hate scary movies. Seriously. You know the movie The Haunting? That movie freaked me out. I had to cover my eyes for half of it. That's how I am with scary movies. I spend the majority of the movie with my hands up by my face, to plug my ears and shut my eyes when something happens. Plug my ears because the music and other sounds tend to be almost as bad as the visual image itself....Hence, I try not to watch scary movies.

I expect the Mill will scare me sufficiently and I'll hate it while I'm going through it and then afterwards, I'll think it's all really cool and will want to go back next year. Probably....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
AKPsi Party tonight!!!! woot for irresponisable future bussiness men drunk as skunks!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
I'm now working part-time as a professional tutor, making a higher hourly wage than I ever have before.  I love my work and how well it pays.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
This will blow your mind.

In order for any piece of computer hardware to work, they have to have power! Shocking, I know, but I spent an hour learning this lesson.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »
That was probably fun....

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER!!!????!?!?!?!?!?!"

"Hey look, it's unplugged!"

"What?! Oh.......[insert frustrated sigh of sudden comprehension here]"

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »
Brandon Sanderson said to me, "This is the best gift yet. I was totally excited about Magic Cards, but this is way better."

I just one-upped y'all. 'Sup.

Being a Storm Leader was taxing, but soooooo worth it. We had a full 90 minutes to play with Brandon before the event, which was fully awesome. Bela killed Asmodean. He told us. Also, Gawyn has a big part in the next book, as do Mat, Perrin, and... some other guy. I can't remember. Watch the Q&A and stuff on ustream. Don't watch anything after Brandon leaves. I'm boring. I'm the scrawny guy with long hair, IYWTK. Brandon is the quizzer, Mike's the guy who could throw me fifty yards, Kim is the short one, and Tranylle is the blonde girl. My brother is the one who is responsible for most of the camera flashes.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
It irks me that I can't watch that feed, for fear of spoilers for books 9-11, which came out after I decided to ignore the series until it was done due to the Stalling of the Plot. (Think of it like the Breaking of the World, but a lot less interesting.)

Incidentally, I'm on book 6 in my reread, right at the beginning of the Stalling. I forgot how slow things actually get, but so far it's been 500 pages of every single plotline mostly just marking time. Sigh. 4.5 books to go until things pick up again...(or so I hear on the intarwebz.)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #326 on: November 01, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
It irks me that I can't watch that feed, for fear of spoilers for books 9-11, which came out after I decided to ignore the series until it was done due to the Stalling of the Plot. (Think of it like the Breaking of the World, but a lot less interesting.)
The entire tour is spoiler-free, so no worries about that. :) EDIT: Oh right. 9-11. :P Uh, Brandon reads from TGS, the spoilers are from about 10:30 to 21:00 (when he reads from the book and talks about that scene).

I have cupcakes, marshmallow cakes, and cookies for lunch!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:32:54 PM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:51 AM »
TGS was BAD *** just so everyone knows it is actually better than 2/3 of the other books in the series...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
I have one student whose mother things I'm fantastic, and has given me lots of referrals.  Lots of referrals means lots of work, and lots of work means less debt!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2009, 03:14:51 AM »
I went shooting tonight. Even though it was really cold, it was still a lot of fun. I only hit one clay pigeon and it was with a pistol, but oh well. I have also learned that I prefer shooting stationary objects when shooting a shotgun more than shooting clay pigeons flying through the air....