Author Topic: Happy Things 2009: We're Still Here  (Read 59106 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Things 2009: We're Still Here
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:53 PM »
I skipped second hour today and went home and slept! And got on twg, but that doesn't count as being productive, right?

Also, Emotion Bowl Tonight!!!!!!!

[super long explanation]
For those of you (the majority) who don't live in Idaho Falls, Emotion Bowl is the annual football game between my school, Skyline, and our rival, Idaho Falls. We share a stadium, and the winner of the game gets to paint the goalposts their school color. Our rivalry actually ranks in the top 10 high school rivalries in the nation, according to 2 or 3 separate companies who survey such things (I really don't know who, I just remember hearing the statistic. I do, however, remember that said companies are not based in Idaho). As a result, there's a lot of pranks and such leading up to the game. For instance, a few days ago a couple of stupid IF kids spray painted several cars in the Skyline parking lot, including mine (I'm not bitter at all....). One year, a couple of Skyline kids got some dead cats and hung them up over at IF, in the halls and on their marquee (IF's mascot is a tiger). A few years ago, someone actually brought a live tiger to the game and was getting it to rip up teddy bears (Skyline's mascot is the grizzly). The list goes on and on. Anyway, point is, I have classes at IF, so there are some pretty high stakes on this game for me. I'll spend the next month hearing about how Skyline lost if we do lose, and I get to spend the next month bragging if we win. Oh, and since the stadium is actually at IF, they have to deal with having blue goalposts all year round. Which is awesome.
[/ super long explanation]
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
Explain Highschool pride to me....i never had it partailly b/c i didn't chose which school I attended (though admittedly i did have pride in being a band member of the Best Music Program 2004, w/o an orchestra which demonstrates how good our choir and band were) Now that i'm in college though GO COMETS!!!!!

P.S. why does a comet-mascot look like a messed up super sayon?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
It's not really school pride in my instance, though I imagine it is for some people. For me, it's more about the taunting that goes on between the schools. The pranks are fun to hear about to, but making fun of the other school is what's really fun.

For instance, today, I walked into my English class, which is at IF. I'm wearing solid blue. The entire rest of the class is wearing orange and black. As I walk in, they all boo, at which point, I begin to laugh. We went through most of class (while we were supposed to be watching King Lear) going back and forth about who was going to win the game. We're not really that serious about it. I could care less about who wins the game. I don't watch football normally, and I don't really enjoy it when I do. However, Emotion Bowl I enjoy because everyone around me is so insanely energetic, it's impossible not to be. The only reason it matters to me about who wins the game is because next Monday, when I get back, whichever side won gets to fling all the insults we were flinging around today into the other side's face, and the other side just has to sit there and take it. It's actually not that bad to be on the receiving end either. It's just fun to insult each other.

So really, I think a lot of what is labeled as school pride isn't. Most of the people I know don't really care how many times Skyline has won the Emotion Bowl, or even how good of a school it is academically. We just care that we win now so that we can brag later.

That said, there have been some really great Emotion Bowl games in the past. The insane hype tends to push both teams to play really well. I remember 2004 in particular. We were down by 5 points, and with 1 second left in the game, the quarterback threw a 48-yard Hail Mary pass. The guy who it was supposed to go to had 3 guys trying to block him or intercept the ball within five feet of him, and he still caught it (though he broke his arm doing so). Probably the coolest moment of the entire game was when the quarterback actually threw the ball. The entire stadium went dead silent for about 3 seconds, then when the guy caught it, it was like this amazingly gigantic explosion of sound everywhere. It was also pretty awesome to look over at the IF stands, where they'd been preparing to rush the field to repaint the goal posts. They were all just kind of standing there, looking like they'd been pole-axed. Thinking back, I really can't blame them, considering pretty much everyone there thought that they had it in the bag.

But Emotion Bowl can be very exciting, even if you don't care at all about your school. And when you throw in the insults.... it's just fun all around.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »
Homecoming's this weekend, but it's snowing in Bozeman. A lot.

Also, it's pay day, and I did really well on a Matrix Theory exam. Kicked butt.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:58 AM »
I learned an easy way to bake bread.  Yummy!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2009, 05:01:54 AM »
I forgot to post this Sunday.... i sold a massage chair!!! (commission sucks at .333% but $100.00 bucks is better than a sharp stick in the eye) in addition a cute girl at school responded favorably to my flirting always a good thing
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »
...a cute girl at school responded favorably to my flirting always a good thing
Don't you know that looking and pining is all that you're allowed to do? What will the rest of us dudes do now? We are ruined! RUINED! RUNED! RUNNED!

I can now positively say without any doubt that the quality of your biking shoes and pedals matters. I was using my commuter set (some mid-low range Scott shoes and Time pedals) when one of the screws on the Scott's cleats broke, forcing me to move my racing set (waaaaay too expensive Diadora shoes and Speedplay pedals - wish I had that money now...) over. When I got on the bike, I immediately noticed the difference in efficiency. I took the ride in to school easy, as I had some extra time, and got there faster than I ever had on this bike. Sweet awesome.

Oh, and ladies were coming out of the woodwork to complement me on my shoes. Because they're sexy. I dress conservatively (kinda), but I have a weakness for fancy shoes. Also: Shopping. Don't tell the other dudes.

Other stuff:
  • I'm a Storm Leader "Slavemaster Edition".
  • I'm on mid-semester break as of midnight tonight.
  • As the wise #323(2006) once said, "Never, ever, again... Run in a fairly straight, possible vehicle accessible path!!."

Signing out like people who don't use the internet much and those who write letters on occasion (but more verbosely),
‽sortitus
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 15, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
By conservative dress do you mean t-shirts or shirts that lack decals and names....i wear collared shirts with-out hollister or some other over-priced name smeared across it... and no that doesn't mean i shop at target or walmart i go to Old Navy!

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 15, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
By conservative dress do you mean t-shirts or shirts that lack decals and names....
Slacks and dark, subdued, uniform-colored dress shirts are standard for me. I own a few more fashion dress and polo shirts that have interesting designs, but none of my clothing has a visible name, yes.

I don't know if this should go in the happiness thread or the grumpiness one, but I had a dream that included a particular girl. It was pleasant as far as dreams go, but this does not bode well. It seems that when I dream about someone by name, something dramatic happens to our relationship. Then again, I don't recall her name ever being said or thought....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:57:56 AM by sortitus »
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 16, 2009, 04:35:21 AM »
I had a dream where i was stupid enough to marry at age 18 (now) my "wife's" name was never said she wouldn't let me give-up what you are supposed to on your wedding night (traditionaly speaking) so i spent the next 3 days trying to get my wife in bed...i'm about to succeed and i woke up... happy/grumpy both (i was happy but frustrated in the dream)

P.S. this was last month

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #310 on: October 20, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »
So, after having spent hours puzzling over the occurance of a word in my translation project which I didn't know how to interpret, I finally stumbled across what I consider to be a very likely meaning for it, which fits from a linguistic point of view.  This is very good.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
So I got an e-mail from the school last night about my financial information being changed. I was slightly confused about why it would change halfway through the semester, but I clicked the link, and lo and behold, I have a $300 scholarship from the school waiting for me! I stared at it for a bit, surprised, and then thought "How?"

Not that I'm complaining. I need that money; I'm just curious how I got a scholarship....Very happy right now, even if I've got a Geology test today that I'm going bomb. I have money! Yay! Now I can go buy the food that I desperately need since I have nothing. Literally. Food is good. Money is better.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 22, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »
Unless you are on a deserted island...you can't use your money then... :(

Great news! I have a hot date to go with me to the homecoming ball Oct. 31. (homecoming for us is soccer since we have no football team but hey that makes us undefeated every year :P) now i have to find some creature i can be yet still dress classy... im thinking a ghoul.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2009, 06:03:57 AM »
Finished with the crazy amount of homework that the profs piled on for the weekend. Took the Bio test, and I think I got at least an 80, so that's good.

My mind is numb, which I think is good at this point.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
My family is annoyed at me for my 2 B's and being in the top quarter (i think i may be just outside it) they say i should be on the Dean's list...

I have decided to go as Hugh Hefner unless that offends my date then i will go as Frank Sinatra's ghost