Poll

Which team would win in a fight?

Elantrian/Dakhor
Mistborn/Feruchemist

Author Topic: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*  (Read 17696 times)

Habeed

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »
Yes, Names are mentioned.  I can find a quote out of Elantris if you want...at one point in the story, Raoden tries a spell, and he adds the Aon for the name of one of his friends to target him specifically.  That might be all it takes to stop a Mistborn - a couple of Aons to stun or kill your opponent, followed by an Aon either specifying your opponents name, or one specifying "the nearest person to me" or something similar.

And the system may be "finite"...but all of the things I mentioned are in the book Elantris.  There's illusions, transmutations, teleportation, tons of effects.  Furthermore, you are allowed to create a spell where you can precisely specify what you want to have happen, complete with numbers.  Even if there aren't any Aons not already mentioned in Elantris 1, there's enormous power and flexibility, far beyond anything a Mistborn could wield. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:12:40 AM by Habeed »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2009, 05:32:24 AM »
Certain people have names based of Aeons but that wouldn't change the meaning of the Aeon or its use Raoden is the Aeon for spirit and modifications, additional lines and symbols, do allow advanced instruction on an aeon but on the names... i'm reasonably certain never gonna happen that is far too complex in addition to the fact of shared names...

Though atleast we got another elantrian supporter!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Habeed

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2009, 05:35:52 AM »
Champion, that HAPPENED IN THE BOOK.  Sigh, let me open up Elantris and find it.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
Kaz, I think Habeed is talking about something Raoden did with Galladon. Galladon's name isn't based on an Aon. So if Habeed is correct, and Raoden did target him with an Aon, using his name as an extra modifier, then that means others, theoretically even those not from Sel, can be targeted.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
The entire defense of the Misborn case relies on different ways to prevent an Elantrian from ever drawing an Aon. It does no good to have an all-powerful Misborn destruct-o-matic 3000 Aon in your pocket if you get a coin through your head or glass daggers in your chest before you can reach it. (Well, assuming those killed you fast enough.)

The two main methods of approaching this are Mistborn speed tricks and physical Aon prevention. Metals like tin, pewter, atium, and bendally (even if it is mostly vetoed.) would all give a Mistborn advantages to reaction time, perhaps shortening the gap enough to defeat an Elantrian before they fire off a shot. Metals like Iron and Steel, and to a lesser extent Zinc and Brass, could be used to throw off an Aon mid-drawing, rendering that Aon useless and giving the Mistborn time to close in.

And when comparing heroes, I'd say it's more fair to compare Raoden and Elend, instead of Raoden and Vin. Raoden and Elend are both newish to their skills; Elend has more practical experience but Raoden was studying Aons long before he was thrown in Elantris. Raoden and Elend are both high-level users of their respective systems, and the two are even fairly similar in personality.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Habeed

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »
First of all, if it's a "surprise attack", then whoever is the attacker generally wins.  In real life, a knife beats a machine gun or even a nuclear weapon if you can sneak up to your opponent by surprise. 

Second, if it's a duel, then I suppose that if the Elantrian isn't allowed to pre-draw Aons then it doesn't look good for them.  Mistborns/Ferunchemists do have the nifty trick of being able to access their powers almost instantly. 

But, here's a quote from Elantris that illustrates why an Elantrian would probably win at least 90% of the time
"A burst of light shot from the Aon, the air warping and twisting around it.
The bolt took Dilaf in the chest and exploded, throwing the monk backward.
Dilaf crashed into the side of a building and collapsed to the ground. Then,
however, the priest groaned, stumbling back to his feet.
Raoden cursed. He dashed the short distance and grabbed Sarene. "Hold on." he
ordered, his free hand tracing another Aon. The designs Raoden crafted around
Aon Tia were complex, but his hand moved dexterously. He finished it just as
Dilaf's men reached them.
Sarene's body lurched, much as it had when Dilaf had brought them to Teod.
Light surrounded her. shaking and pulsing. A brief second later the world
returned. Sarene stumbled in confusion. falling against the familiar Teoish
cobblestones."

Several things are in this paragraph.   First, Dilaf has been boosted with the sacrifices of fifty monks specifically to resist Aon magic.  He's a magical superweapon.  Yet, even though Raoden is so far from Elantris that he is only able to teleport about 50 feet, the basic power Aon blasts Dilaf off his feet and slams him into a building.  A few pages earlier, one of the enemy priests is vaporized in a single hit from that power Aon in a square inside Elantris.  I don't think a mistborn would fare any better.

Second, it only took Raoden a moment to draw a teleport Aon to get away.  I'd say teleport pretty much trumps every single power in the Mistborn book series except for the gods in the last book.  And that's all it takes to guarantee that an Elantrian wins a fight with a Mistborn.  Step 1 is to teleport away, step 2 is to come back later, protected with a ton of buff Aons and a few dozen friends, and blast the Mistborn with targeted Aons from a safe distance.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »
Right, there's no case that Elantrian magic could destroy a Mistborn. But even your teleport away and return with buffs strategy would require enough time to draw a correct Aon Tia. In any given fair situation, a Mistborn burning the right metals will always have the faster reaction time, and consequently always have the opportunity to act first. If a Mistborn can make those few extra moments count, they win. If they cannot, the Elantrian wins. That's about what it comes down to.

And even pre-drawn Aons would take time to activate, but that is a much shorter time and would be much harder to counter, especially if the trigger was, say, blinking. I still think it could be done under the right circumstances.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Pewter can make a man run as fast as a horse not faster everyone puts this huge importance on the reaction time of a mistborn but it isn't near as awesome as people think you can't close a 20 yard gap in a blink of an eye... not too mention acceleration time. And in the midst of a charge you can't dodge much of anything one power aeon vaporizes darn near anything and even if flaring pewter saved you your not getting up again.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz