Poll

Which team would win in a fight?

Elantrian/Dakhor
Mistborn/Feruchemist

Author Topic: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*  (Read 18669 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:22:55 AM »
Okay, I did a search, and it didn't seem like this had been talked about at all. There's the WoT/Mistborn thing, but...this isn't the same. Anyway. I finally finished Elantris and after thinking about it I'm curious which magic system would win if pitted against each other.

Let's say, for some reason the Dakhor monks and the Elantrians teamed up and took on the Mistborn and Feruchemists. For the sake of the poll, let's narrow the fight down to one of each (sidenote: I would've added Hemalurgy, but those two (Allomancy and Feruchemy) together are pretty much the same....kind of). Which side would win?

I'm inclined to think that the Elantris side would win. As much as I love Mistborn's magic system, I just don't see it beating the Dor. And I personally think the weakness is in the mistborn. I think if the feruchemist and the monk fought, it would be pretty fair, assuming the feruchemist has a large store of powers (like speed, strength and weight....healing too, definitely). But the mistborn wouldn't really stand a chance against the Elantrian. The Elantrian would be able to counter anything the mistborn did--either with transporting themselves to a very nearby location, or changing metal to some sort of food, or even using that fire Raoden uses at first, or the Aon Daa Galladon's team uses when they first get to Teod. The feruchemist wouldn't be much better, either. The only way either one would stand a chance against the Elantrian was if they got a lucky strike onto the arms or hands, incapacitating the Elantrian in regards to the Aons.

Other thoughts?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »
Well, first of all it's hard to picture a Dakhor monk wanting to cooperate with an Elantrian.  Secondly, I think the Elantrian's power is limited by the time it takes to draw Aons.  If they were in a hurry, they might make fatal mistakes - and if they didn't hurry, the Mistborn could shoot them with coins before they had a chance to defend themselves.  It seems to me AonDor is more useful for leisurely things than fight scenes - although it could perhaps be used to make some interesting weapons, ahead of time.
He ate my horse.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
Big ditto, Sarah.  Timing is everything.  Mistborn magic is much more immediate and spur of the moment.  The whole thing with having to draw complicated Aons in the air was one of the issues I had with the magic.  Mostly because it totally destroys the very idea of a  "fast fight".  Everything that the Elantrian could do would be separated by extremely long periods of time where he was trying to draw the right Aon.  And in that moment, just before the Aon was complete, Vin would kill him.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
They two systems have different advantages and disadvantages, although I have to agree with those who think that Mistborn would be better in a fight.

However, the Elantrians have some advantages simply by being Elantrians.  It automatically makes them stronger, faster and tougher than a regular human.  It seems, however, that it doesn't make them as much stronger than a Misting burning pewter would.  And fighting would be very tricky with Aons.  The Aons are definitely more versatile, however, which provides advantages in more general kinds of fights; i.e. it may not be so hot in sword-play, but ambushes could be significantly more deadly.
Nature hates being reified.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Elantrians are very difficult (impossible?) to kill with physical force.

A mistborn's attacks are very physical in nature.

A Fire Aon could decimate a group of mistborn.

I think the Elantrians would win. Yes, it might take them longer to draw the Aons, but they are well designed for ranged combat, while mistborn are melee fighters mainly.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
WriterDan's comment got me thinking....When I imagine a fight like this going down (obviously hypothetically since there's no way an Elantrian and a Dakhor monk are actually going to cooperate...), I think of it as the unspecialized people that we read about in the books. So Vin wouldn't be the mistborn. Nor would Elend. I image it would be someone a little less powerful than Kelsier. The Feruchemist very well could be Sazed. My main thing with the Feruchemist is that he would have to have some large stores of strength, speed, weight, and healing (healing, since the others have different ways to make them stronger in the healing department). The Elantrian wouldn't be Raoden, but it would probably be someone similar. Someone who knows the Aons, and can draw them fairly quickly....And the monk definitely wouldn't be Dilaf.

And as for the AonDor not being for fighting....I kind of disagree. That may not be the main use for it, but it can obviously be used pretty well in fighting, even against a speedy opponent. I'm judging it off the fight on the Teod docks, where the Elantrians took out a good majority of the monks--who it had already been proven are very hard to kill. And that was just with one Aon.

But I do agree that it depends on the kind of fight. An ambush? Or close quarters? In an ambush, I'm pretty sure the ambusher would win, regardless of which side. Close quarters, though, would be a little harder, and this is where I think Elantris would win. Like Loud said, it's hard to kill an Elantrian with physical force. Not impossible, but hard. Same with the monks. You'd have to hit them in just the right spot(s) for it to count. And as much as pewter would help the mistborn, one Fire (Ehe) or Energy (Daa) Aon and it won't matter.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »
Honestly, I think the mistborn/Feruchemists would win. I do see the Aon's being a difficult thing to do in a tense, quick combat situation (which, didn't Raoden mess up some Aons during the fight on the docks? I may be misremembering). The main reason I think they would win lies in Feruchemy, as we said they have an ample supply of speed/strength. They could simply make themselves quick enough and strong enough to deal with their opponents quickly (since i'm assuming even ratios of 1:1) and cut the enemies forces in half. Even if this left them mostly drained of both speed and strength, they still wouldn't be USELESS.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
I voted for Mistborn it would really depend on the sitauation.  In a stealth or ambush situation the Elantris would have the advantage.  However in face to face combat you have to deal with the time taken to draw and the fact that everyone can read exactly what you are doing.  Its glowing in the air in front of you.  "Hey look he is making a fire ball that goes forward I am going to run to the left."  They dont even need atium.  They could use it though to read the entire Aon before it was finished though. That would give them even more time to react.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:10 AM »
That's assuming that they know what the Aons mean....If they didn't know, there wouldn't be that advantage.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:43 AM »
one other assumption we have to make for this fight to be at all viable is that the fight would have to take place in arelon.  otherwise the elantrians would be severely handicapped.  i voted for mistborn anyway though
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:51:24 AM »
the fight would have to take place in arelon. 

haha. Of course. Also, we have to assume that the mistborn and feruchemists are able to do their respective special abilities while they're not on Scadriel--which I think is a very realistic assumption (it's also one I think is cool to think about, especially since a couple weeks ago, the mists were out in full force in the evening and night where I live...I thought it would be cool to see people start jumping around using metals and stuff....But alas, that didn't happen.... :P).

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:05:12 AM »
One thing that I think would give the mistborn an advantage would be if they had atium. They wouldn't need to be able to read the Aons; they could see what was going to happen and dodge or counter it. As much as I love Elantris, I'd have to say that the Elantrians would be in big trouble if they didn't catch the mistborn by surprise.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:13 AM »
I got the impression that the stuff that the Aons did came to fast, once the started. So I don't think Atium would really help the mistborn. I could be wrong about that, but...that's just the impression I got in the book. That once the Aon was finished, whatever it did happened FAST.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
To be fair, I would think Atium would HAVE to be left out of the equation. Mainly because ANY fight between X and mistborn could be "Mistborn w/ Atium wins!" unless, of course, that X is something that can counter Atium
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
As for Elantrians being nearly impossible to kill, I believe that only held true before Raoden drew the chasm line, when they were all sort of undead.  Elantrians under normal conditions can certainly be injured (Raoden in the fight on the docks) or ill (Galladon's father); perhaps they heal faster than ordinary people and they certainly can draw healing Aons, but I don't think that would protect them from death.
He ate my horse.