Author Topic: Mistborn in Spanish??  (Read 2276 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Mistborn in Spanish??
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:08 PM »
So, I'm part of the foreign exchange program at my school.
My exchange student came and gave my family a bunch of presents which leads me to believe that I had to do likewise.
While she gave me a bracelet that I never wear I thought it might be a good idea to give her something she can actually use.
Mistborn is my favorite book but I knew that if I was given a book in a language other than my native one, no matter how good it was, I would say thank you but never read it.
So, I was wondering if there is a Spanish version of Mistborn available? I know there's one for Elantris but I couldn't find anything about Mistborn.
Thank you!
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Mistborn in Spanish??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
From what I saw when I did a quick check for that, there isn't one yet. How fluent is she in English? I know a FES who likes English as much as Japanese.

Xenogear

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
There is a spanish edition of the first book :

http://tienda.cyberdark.net/el-imperio-final-nacidos-de-la-bruma-1-n12050.html

Curiously enough, I cant find the book in it's publishing house webpage. You can see the Elantris Spanish Edition there,though:

http://www.edicionesb.com/Catalogo/Producto.aspx?id=379

I think i will grow old before the spanish publisher publishes The Well of Ascension. This is Spain for you  >:(

CptSqweky

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
You could try and contact Brandon directly, see if he has any extra copies. That's where I got my Spanish copy of Mistborn. However, what country is the student from? The book was translated into Castillian (Spain) Spanish. If the student isn't from Spain or Equitorial Guinea, they might have a hard time understanding it. (It uses the vosotros forms and there's a lot of word choice difference.) I'm pretty sure that there's just the one translation so... if they aren't from Spain, you might want to ask them first if they would read it.
I mean, yeah, they are the same language, but it's like the difference between American and British English, only moreso. Much more so.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:24:20 AM »
They're actually more like two different languages, almost. And Castillian Spanish is spoken a lot faster, I believe. Although that may just be a territorial difference, and not necessarily one pertaining to the dialect itself.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

CptSqweky

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
Ehhhh... depends on the area. In most of Spain, not really, but there are some places in Andalucia and Extremadura where they talk REALLY fast. And it's not like it's a completely different language. It's just like... well... It's a different dialect. (keep in mind I'm a linguist and I have a different idea of what a "dialect" means than most people. Think "variety of the language," rather than "inferior sub-language.) Basically, the best way i can describe it is this: It's the difference between American English and British English, if British English still used "thee" and "thou" but was otherwise the same as it is today. It's not that different, but the pronouns will through you off and there'll be some unfamiliar vocabulary.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
When I learned Spanish I learned Castillian in school as well as my aunt's best friend's family. (we spent a lot of time with them.)  They were actually from Spain.  When I moved back to Idaho I had no idea what my Mexican friends were saying.  The vernaculars are totally different and they spoke really slowly compared to what I was used to.  So you should be very careful about that.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »
Pronunciation is different, too. Like in the Argentinian/Peruvian area, words like 'ellos' and 'yo' are pronounced more like 'eJHos' and 'JHoe', whereas in Spain, they're pronounced almost with a 'th' sound, and in North America, like a 'y' sound.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »
Pronunciation is different, too. Like in the Argentinian/Peruvian area, words like 'ellos' and 'yo' are pronounced more like 'eJHos' and 'JHoe', whereas in Spain, they're pronounced almost with a 'th' sound, and in North America, like a 'y' sound.
I'm not sure pronunciation would be too big a problem, mostly slang that is used would be the issue. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »
Quote from: Shaggy on Yesterday at 09:19:57 PM
I'm not sure pronunciation would be too big a problem,
Just saying.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:14 AM »
In some parts of Paraguay they still pronounce "ll" like "ly." I remember going to a Paraguyan family's house and they said, of a baby, "El se lyama Uilyermo." (Guillermo.)

Anyway in Spain it's the z and soft c that are pronounced with a "th," not the "ll." In some parts of Chihuahua though they pronounce "ch" like "sh," and I knew some Argentinos who pronounced "ll" like "sh," so there was the same sound coming from two different phonemes.

Also there's the voseo/tuteo question, where some countries use vos (not vosotros, which means "you others") instead of tu, and in El Salvador you use vos with friends and tu with lovers.

Not that this has anything to do with Mistborn.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Not that this has anything to do with Mistborn.
But it's interesting.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.