Author Topic: Hugo Award pimpage  (Read 3251 times)

Eric James Stone

• Staff
  • Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
Hugo Award pimpage
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:55:29 PM »
I feel kind of embarrassed touting my work for awards, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

The Hugos are awarded by members of the World Science Fiction Convention, which anyone can join by paying about $50.

Out of my stories that were published last year, I would like to draw your attention to two.

My short story "The Ashes of His Fathers" (Analog, May 2008) received several recommendations for the Nebula Award, but its eligibility was cut short by the new Nebula Awards rules. However, it is still eligible for the Hugo.  Here's an excerpt from The Fix's review of the story:
And if all of Analog’s stories were as good as “The Ashes of His Fathers,” the magazine might sell substantially better.
Read "The Ashes of His Fathers" for free on my website.

The second story is "The Robot Sorcerer" (InterGalactic Medicine Show, December 2008).  Because Hugo Award eligibility is based on calendar years, this story hasn't had much time for word of mouth to spread.  But here's an excerpt from The Fix's review:
The story is personal in scale and filled with mystery, action, and even tragedy. Stone explores many themes: the nature of life, magic versus technology, magic as technology, moral dilemmas, and self-sacrifice being only a few. He does so while also creating a complex plot that doesn’t confuse the reader, establishing depth of character, and describing a rich and fascinating world while also maintaining a good pace. It is, by far, the best story in this issue.
I can't make the story available for free on my website because IGMS still has exclusive rights to it, but you can read the beginning here, and if you want to read the end, the issue only costs $2.50.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.