Author Topic: Mistborn questions about possibilites  (Read 1266 times)

CStroman

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn questions about possibilites
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:55:15 AM »
2 quick questions.

Are there spectacles (meaning glasses type spectacles, not event type spectacles of which "Yes" there are plenty) in the world of Mistborn? Would Elend put on a pair while reading texts? Would OreSeur (as Renoux)?

Also although the allomancy of Mistborn is internal, it's effects mental and only beheld by those influenced by it, how would you visualize something like that to others?

For instance, would Vin buring tin to enhance her senses, other than seeing that through her eyes, could someone visualize her eyes taking on an almost translucent glow? The second option is contrary to the novels for sure, and I'm sure we can all visualize seeing more clearly where she couldn't before, or hearing more than she could before. I dunno, just a thought.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn questions about possibilites
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
To answer your 1st question.  Yes,  I seem to recall that in MB1 when Vin returns to the Renoux house Sazed is studying with glasses on so he can store up his eyesight.  I don't have a copy of the book on hand or I would look it up and give a quote.  Maybe someone else can.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
I don't have a copy of the book either (my sister-in-law has mine) but I distinctly recall that--Vin noticing Sazed wearing glasses. That's what gets her asking about Feruchemy. Well, that and other things, but I believe he's wearing the glasses when they have that discussion....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »
Yes, they have spectacles.

No, you can't see when someone is burning a metal, unless you notice the side effects (like becoming incredibly strong or extra graceful, or being able to hear/see/feel really well, or that chunk of iron that is flying straight at your he....)
Nature hates being reified.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
Here's another question, if they enhance their hearing can they hear other people burning metal in their bodies?  Kind of like how when a person is hungry their stomach rumbles.  Also if they could hear others burning metals could they tell which metal their burning since metals have different melting points???
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
No, the only way to tell if someone's Burning metal is if you Burn bronze and they're not Burning copper to mask it.

Also, "Burning" is not a literal word; using metals has nothing to do with melting points.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!