Author Topic: Mistborn 3 proof  (Read 1202 times)

themaladroit1

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn 3 proof
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:51:34 AM »
I didn't see anything like this anywhere, so sorry if it's up.
I was wondering if anybody else out there thinks this might could be changed?
Pg. 344 about three-quarters of the way down.--
   Sazed wasn't as easily convinced. Yet, he kept his reservations to himself as he turn back to his research. Spook must have noticed them looking over at him, for a few minutes later he made his way to Sazed's table. The boy -- (and this is the part) -- blinked against the lantern-light, soft though it was, and pulled up a chair.
   It sounds to me like  Sazed notices Spook's eyes blink. Now if you read the  next couple pages up to page 347 I think it's still in the same time frame. up until about a quarter of the way down and--
     "Him excluded," Breeze said. "Spook is harmless. Really, you shouldn't--"
      "Breeze," Spook interrupted, glancing over with his strange, -- (and this is the part) bandaged eyes, spectacles hidden underneath and bulging out from the face just slightly under the cloth. 

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks? Am I reading it wrong maybe? Or do you think maybe it could be fixed for the pb?  I remember reading it the first time and it stuck out to me. So when Mr. Sanderson was asking for proofs I remembered it had something to do with Spook and went back and first skimmed all his parts and then had to actually reread all the parts where he was in it.  Just wondering what everyone elses opinions might be.
   Thanks.

themaladroit1

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 proof
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
Wow, here I thought this was a place to discuss things, not just graze. Not a single opinion? Not the best forum around for asking a question or getting an opinion is it? Just lots of sheep. Course I'm sure THIS will get a couple endearments. Won't be checking back though. I heard this was a "tight knit" community. More like "stuck up" if you ask me. Nothing personal though. It is what it is. I'm out. Carry on all. Happy grazing. Baa.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
That...  is a very rude way to bump a thread.

This forum has a fairly small number of active posters.  I imagine quite a few of them came in, read your post, saw how extremely specific it is about one minor issue, decided to let someone else respond, and forgot about it.  With the small number of posters here, it is not very surprising to me that all of them did that, or just saw the title, misinterpreted it, and decided not to read a probably mistaken "proof" of some unidentified crackpot theory.  When I see the word "proof", checking a written document for errors is not the first thing that comes to mind.  Try some variation of "proofread" instead.

When a post goes unanswered for several days, the appropriate thing to do is to post a polite reply to bring attention to it and inform everyone that "someone else" never did respond, not insult the entire forum.

As for your original post, my reading of that scene is that it is written from the perspective of a third person omniscient narrator, not from Sazed's point of view.  Sazed may not see the blink through the bandage, but the narrator does.  I agree it is not entirely clear, however, and might benefit from a little editing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:42:29 PM by douglas »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »
themaladroit1, you definitely found a mistake. When I saw your post a couple days ago, I sent an e-mail to Brandon about it linking to this thread, following on to my own long e-mail of mistakes. So in case you didn't e-mail Brandon (he's less likely to be checking the forum than he used to be), he's been informed.

There's not much to discuss about it though. It's just a mistake, you know?

Also, douglas, Brandon writes in third-person limited, so the "narrator" should not see anything that any particular scene's viewpoint character cannot see. Sazed is the viewpoint character for that section, so the narrator should not see Spook blink.

[EDIT much later: This has been fixed in the paperback. Spook now puts his glasses and bandage back on when he hears Beldre is there.]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:33:56 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!