Author Topic: Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series...missing?  (Read 38323 times)

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series...missing?
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2009, 03:12:55 AM »
There are ways to say things that get your point across while still being respectful and polite. For example, back to the dictionary example, instead of saying "try using your dictionary more often!" you can say "I disagree with your use of "adultery" in that context. I'd define it as such and such, which doesn't affect such and such (filling in the relevant information where needed).

It's more the tone and presentation of the arguments I'm talking about--not the content.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
fair enough however its the only way i could take what you said!

I doubt that, but...oh well. Doesn't even matter right now.

mabey but mabey it is an unbringing of where you are from or soemthing, but when im from its common at my age. im only 20 btw. and although i dont condone people who sleep around, i think perfectly aceptable between two people who are in love and mature enough to understand and appreciate it. i think a marriage title shouldn't have a place in it.

Where I'm from has nothing to do with it. It's how I've been raised, and the morals my parents have helped instill in me. If you must know, I'm LDS, and the city I live is actually pretty darn Anti-Mormon. We have a temple here (very recently) and we almost weren't even able to get that because of the huge public outcry against it. Plus, I spend so much of my time online that where I'm from is irrelevant to this argument.

i ask this out of curiousity mabey, and of form of debate. do you think a couple together for half a year and married, that they are ok to sleep together. are a couple together for say 6 years living together whom fuly intend to get married in the future but dont want to make a full committment yet. are they immoral?
can you explain to why they would be if you think they are and the married couple are?

I would rather not answer this, because I have a strong feeling you're going to take offense to it. I'm not trying to give offense. But since you seem to REALLY want to know my opinions, fine. IN MY OPINION, sex in marriage is not immoral, even if that marriage doesn't last. Sex outside of marriage is immoral. Heck, I personally don't think members of the opposite sex should even be living together if they're not married and not family....But again, that's just my opinion, and my personal beliefs. I'm not saying anyone's evil for doing it. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I'm also not saying that I look down upon people who live together. That's their lifestyle. They don't share my beliefs. I'm fine with that. I have my opinions and beliefs. They have theirs. I don't like it when people say my opinion and beliefs are wrong, and so I'm not going to do that others. Simple as that.

i genuinely believe marriage is only a title, and one that seems to mean less and less every day with the high rate of divorce.

And I believe that marriage is much more than just a title. I have to agree with you, though, that the world seems to be thinking less and less of it. And that's sad.

you have to agree do that where you are from has a minority in in views, very few places in the christian world are as zealous as your area. i think you take the word of "God" to the unecessar extreme for the most part. Ireland is where im from and we are by no means not a religious country, but yet we dont try to think to hold others to our own standards, but rather hold ourselves to our own! and let others do as they will.
we are a rather tolerant people!

I actually think Utah is much more zealous than my area, but....that's just me. And I think I've already shown that I agree with you about not holding others to my standards, and just sticking to my own. I'm not going to judge you if you don't live up to MY standards. They are mine. Not yours.

see thats you imo taking more from the bible then it is giving, it isnt worded there so why create it so?
also i feel totaly justified in my comment, as i am right in what i am saying.

Go ahead and feel justified. Just also know that it was rude. And why create something from what wasn't there in the Bible? Because they're my standards, and if I want to think that the adultery mentioned in the 10 Commandments also applies to any sexual sin, than I can. Just like I can think that the taking God's name in vain in the 3rd Commandment can also apply to swearing in general. It's my own prerogative. As long as I don't hold you to the same, it shouldn't matter.

you cannot turn around to me and basically call me stupid for saying sex before marriage isnt in the commandments then say oh but i dont realy take the words at their actual meanings... because that is what i said! i gave their meanings. end of!

I never called you stupid, or even implied that. You can infer what you want though. That's your prerogative.

if jesus was so perfect why not let us see his flaws?

I personally don't think He had any flaws. He made no mistakes. This is what makes Him perfect. In my opinion.

travelling does require money! i have paid for every trip myself i have ever been on all the while getting a chemical engineering degree in the most prestigeous university in ireland. it can be done if you want! iv travelled to the states for 3 months, been to asia, australia and about 80% of europe!

.....congratulations?

not that im saying im great or anything, but im more trying to say, its worth it! give it a shot! broadens your mind! seriously so! and the experiences you get are worth it

Oh, trust me, I know that it's worth it. I haven't even gone, but just from what I've thought and imagined, I know for a fact that it will broaden my mind. (and on a related sidenote: My passport came today! YES! ;D)

i do, and i respectively disagree with most of them.

Respectfully? (since I'm guessing that's what you meant)....I wouldn't really call everything you said respectful, but again....what do I know?

And Ookla, I was busting up all through your post. It's hilarious. (And I'm referring to the multitude of definitions in it....:D)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

ryanjm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2009, 04:04:58 AM »
Still, it is good to see that themes such as these are more prevalent in other works by Mr. Sanderson. I feared for some time that this sanitation was somehow related to his personal beliefs, to some idea that it was sinful (what do I know?) to put such things on paper for others to read. I hope he knows that internal observations about various people's calves, bosoms and shoulders is an important part of Robert Jordan's narrative style.

oh they most definitely are.  Brandon's big thing is that he want everything to be helping the plot and story along. In Mistborn, I just dont think it would have added much. It doesnt have to do with his personal religion, its more of a "does this actually fit here?" kind of thing.  Just remember, more sexuality (in any form) doesn't make a story better or more realistic just because it is there. I still maintain there needs to be a plot-centric point to it all.

Cyne's views mirror my own and he/she writes better than me, so I'll just let him/her take care of any follow up stuff :)  One thing I didn't know upon coming here was just how many people here are Mormons.  That's an important point because it's such a tiny fraction of the general population, yet makes up a huge portion of this board apparently.  When we discuss something like "what is normal for a male viewpoint," the responses will be waaaay skewed towards the most conservative viewpoint.  That certainly heavily influenced the responses here towards a more conservative view of what is acceptable and whether any sexuality was missing in Mistborn.  It's almost like if you went on Al Jazeera television and took a poll asking what everyone thinks about Americans...nowhere near representative of the world as a whole (or Brandon's readership I would think). 

Brandon said one of his worst flaws as a writer is getting stuck in a character's head and writing a lot of internal dialogue.  I think all I would ask him to take into consideration in future novels is that the internal dialogue of your average non-Mormon male has a lot more body-part watching/considering/judging/ogling/whatever than what his male characters displayed in Mistborn.  At least get it up to a Robert Jordan level as some of you said.

I don't want to come off as insulting or derogatory but the simplest way I can say this is:  If you're Mormon, you at least should recognize that some of your views of male/female relationships would not be considered 'normal' by the majority of the U.S. population (especially anyone 16-40 yrs old).  Someone even mentioned that all the guys she knows don't have pre-marital sex...that's not normal for 21yr old males in 99% of U.S. universities.  I'm not judging whether it's right/wrong, smart/dumb, or whatever.  Just recognize that it's not normal and that if you're trying to write good, realistic characters, you have to recognize how your own view of the world is skewed and how a realistic character would act according to the other 99% of the population.

Some of you mentioned that Warbreaker has more sexuality in it.  I'll have to check it out once I finish the Mistborn trilogy.  Thanks again for all the responses, pizza or not.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »
And I'm sure if we all tried really, really hard, we could all connect the pizza thing back to 'Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series…missing?'

Once I saw a slogan for a pizza place that said something like this: "Pizza is like sex; even if it's bad, it's still really good". And that's all I have to say about that.  :)
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:52 AM »

And I'm sure if we all tried really, really hard, we could all connect the pizza thing back to 'Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series…missing?'

Make sure you only eat homemade pizza. Eating out is not only more expensive, you can never be quite sure what they put in it.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »

Make sure you only eat homemade pizza. Eating out is not only more expensive, you can never be quite sure what they put in it.

pwn'd

Grow up in Utah, then you will know true naivety and what it really means to be sheltered. The most awkward class I had was sex-ed, because my bishop was the teacher. Utah is VERY zealous when it comes to this subject, sex is a hush-hush no speaky. It's funny to see how my Mormon friends react to hearing that a girl has had sex. Immediately she is a slut and is untouchable. I agree with ryanjm; the Mormon view is a minority view, and I even find it very weird and against the norm. Now I'm considered a sinner, its really fun living here!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2009, 06:31:10 AM »
The most awkward class I had was sex-ed, because my bishop was the teacher.

Heh. If my old bishop had been the teacher....well. It might've been awkward, but not for him. He had no problems talking about sex....In the middle of Sacrament Meeting....

Utah is VERY zealous when it comes to this subject, sex is a hush-hush no speaky.

Fortunately, we're nothing like this....at least where I'm from....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »
A lot of guys like to eat out because sometimes it's easier and more convenient to just grab a pizza at lunch or after work then to go home and make one yourself.

muboop

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »
firstly im going to say this will be my last post in thsi particular topic devoted to this particular poster
fair enough however its the only way i could take what you said!
I doubt that, but...oh well. Doesn't even matter right now.
em i wudn't doubt it, im not perfect it annoyed me, i acted on impulse as i do most times!
mabey but mabey it is an unbringing of where you are from or soemthing, but when im from its common at my age. im only 20 btw. and although i dont condone people who sleep around, i think perfectly aceptable between two people who are in love and mature enough to understand and appreciate it. i think a marriage title shouldn't have a place in it.
Where I'm from has nothing to do with it. It's how I've been raised, and the morals my parents have helped instill in me. If you must know, I'm LDS, and the city I live is actually pretty darn Anti-Mormon. We have a temple here (very recently) and we almost weren't even able to get that because of the huge public outcry against it. Plus, I spend so much of my time online that where I'm from is irrelevant to this argument.

but see this again could be seen as to back up my points, your parents morals, put on them by their parents etc... its all due to upbringing, which is what im trying to get across! if you said yourself that you know basically few few if any ppl who have had sex before marriage, then you either live in completly sheltered life or its due to upbringing, the net gives ideas, but if you were to be insulted etc for acting on these ideas which im assuming you would consider area and background. then it would make you less open to the ideas! it seem to me to be a very judgemental downward spiral!

i ask this out of curiousity mabey, and of form of debate. do you think a couple together for half a year and married, that they are ok to sleep together. are a couple together for say 6 years living together whom fuly intend to get married in the future but dont want to make a full committment yet. are they immoral?
can you explain to why they would be if you think they are and the married couple are?
I would rather not answer this, because I have a strong feeling you're going to take offense to it. I'm not trying to give offense. But since you seem to REALLY want to know my opinions, fine. IN MY OPINION, sex in marriage is not immoral, even if that marriage doesn't last. Sex outside of marriage is immoral. Heck, I personally don't think members of the opposite sex should even be living together if they're not married and not family....But again, that's just my opinion, and my personal beliefs. I'm not saying anyone's evil for doing it. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I'm also not saying that I look down upon people who live together. That's their lifestyle. They don't share my beliefs. I'm fine with that. I have my opinions and beliefs. They have theirs. I don't like it when people say my opinion and beliefs are wrong, and so I'm not going to do that others. Simple as that.
I will never understand this. i feel the couple of six years have a much stronger relationship and are much better equipped to have sex and take what come wiht it, as well as more mature to not jump into things, if they have a kid, they are likely to be able to take it easier etc... so why should the married couple get preferance?(not a question to you just tryign to express opinion)

i genuinely believe marriage is only a title, and one that seems to mean less and less every day with the high rate of divorce.
And I believe that marriage is much more than just a title. I have to agree with you, though, that the world seems to be thinking less and less of it. And that's sad.

i cant agree with you, now a days marriage is taken to lightly, its ment to be some supreme commitment, but so long as people dont see it as that then it cannot be valued as that! getting married doenst mean you are a stronger couple or anything. long term love and caring is what i put emphesis on now!

you have to agree do that where you are from has a minority in in views, very few places in the christian world are as zealous as your area. i think you take the word of "God" to the unecessar extreme for the most part. Ireland is where im from and we are by no means not a religious country, but yet we dont try to think to hold others to our own standards, but rather hold ourselves to our own! and let others do as they will.
we are a rather tolerant people!
I actually think Utah is much more zealous than my area, but....that's just me. And I think I've already shown that I agree with you about not holding others to my standards, and just sticking to my own. I'm not going to judge you if you don't live up to MY standards. They are mine. Not yours.
ok, so you can name one more zealous state, i wouldnt know all the states individualy having not seen them all. but see, i commend you on saying that you wont judge me for not living up to your standards, but does that go for the rest of you? i can imagine(and i am posibly wrong) that if soemone where you live was to act in such ways as alot of the rest of the world then they would be shunned and judged? creating a stigma about it all and making it harder to live their life choices?

see thats you imo taking more from the bible then it is giving, it isnt worded there so why create it so?
also i feel totaly justified in my comment, as i am right in what i am saying.
Go ahead and feel justified. Just also know that it was rude. And why create something from what wasn't there in the Bible? Because they're my standards, and if I want to think that the adultery mentioned in the 10 Commandments also applies to any sexual sin, than I can. Just like I can think that the taking God's name in vain in the 3rd Commandment can also apply to swearing in general. It's my own prerogative. As long as I don't hold you to the same, it shouldn't matter.

i thought what you said was rude to! to twist the words of the bible to suit and support your moral standards and in the mean time to tell me im wrong when i say it exactly how is it dictionary perfect! i responded in like imo!

you cannot turn around to me and basically call me stupid for saying sex before marriage isnt in the commandments then say oh but i dont realy take the words at their actual meanings... because that is what i said! i gave their meanings. end of!
I never called you stupid, or even implied that. You can infer what you want though. That's your prerogative.
ah but the implications, to say im wrong is to imply im mistaken or didnt research it well enough or mabey to say you know more then me? doenst matter regardless! these things all lead o a deficit in my knowledge. i take this very personally as im a very intelligent person!

if jesus was so perfect why not let us see his flaws?
I personally don't think He had any flaws. He made no mistakes. This is what makes Him perfect. In my opinion.
now here is where i think we have our main problem. i disagree! as i stated about nicea earlier! he most definately had flaws! else why would the church have to decide if divine or not and destroy material? if he had no flaws then he would of had nothign of humanity in him bar a face. and he could be seen doing no wrong. 

the truth was hidden form you by the church! i personally think it would be a much better guideline if we cold see jesus shortcomings! after all nobody was perfect, even jesus!

to quote alexander pope "To err is human, to forgive divine." he was called human by his apostles, by god etc... he was human meaning he could make mistakes, meaning he had flaws. i believe they were minor compared to most people, but nobody is perfect!

travelling does require money! i have paid for every trip myself i have ever been on all the while getting a chemical engineering degree in the most prestigeous university in ireland. it can be done if you want! iv travelled to the states for 3 months, been to asia, australia and about 80% of europe!
.....congratulations?
kinda putting me down no? especially since my next line. rather childish

not that im saying im great or anything, but im more trying to say, its worth it! give it a shot! broadens your mind! seriously so! and the experiences you get are worth it
Oh, trust me, I know that it's worth it. I haven't even gone, but just from what I've thought and imagined, I know for a fact that it will broaden my mind. (and on a related sidenote: My passport came today! YES! ;D)
im glad you got your passport! i cannot for life of me actually wonder why such a huge amount of american population dont have one!  i think it is part of the close-mindness!

if you cna come back form a year or so of travelling through the world including europe etc and still believe as you do now i will be shocked...

i do, and i respectively disagree with most of them.
Respectfully? (since I'm guessing that's what you meant)....I wouldn't really call everything you said respectful, but again....what do I know?
in that last post i made a point of not saying  anything insulting..

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
geez, i stop looking at this thread for a few hours and it degenerates into name calling and belief bashing. Suddenly because people posting are mormon their arguments have less relevance because they are a supposed minority view? when a mormon person is responding to what look like insults they are just being zealous? in a world where violent crimes increase, homicides remain unsolved at at an ever growing rate (nearly 40%), and where the unity of marriage is considered an afterthought by so many, I would have thought that people would be a little more courteous of people's "conservative" views.

it disturbs me that any mormon, or any person in general, is being labeled as sheltered or zealous due to the state they live in, or due to the miles they've traveled. really, this is just silly. it is considered wrong to judge all people of one race based off one of their members. it is considered wrong to say an entire family is messed up because one of their members is making poor decisions. it is considered wrong for all the residents of one nation to be judged based on the actions of a few. how is religion any different? there are a few comments ive seen that could be taken as religious bigotry, and i dont think there is EVER any room for that type of behavior in ANY setting. Utah, Idaho, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama...all have zealous people living in them regardless of religion or backround. The same can be said of Israel, Ireland, the USA, Brazil, Egypt, and Russia.

here's a little bit of perspective. I happen to agree that there are some mormons in Utah that are a bit over the top. I also feel that there are similar types in every state in the union, and in every country in the world. however I have met and associated with FAR more mormons that were just normal people. no over-zealousness. not over-bearing. not sheltered (the former CEO of AT&T Japan comes to mind). just down to earth "normal" people. how is believing in morality not normal? everyone seems so keen on definitions, so define normal. there is a huge measure of perspective involved there.

Here's a good rule for these threads, and for life: be courteous. I dont care if you are mormon, hindu, atheist, white, black, mexican, or irish. leave insulting and inflaming comments out of all of it.

the type of contention im seeing here doesnt do anybody any good, and it sickens me to see what started out as an interesting topic spiral into name calling, intelligence insulting, and religious insensitivity (from all angles, not just towards "mormons"). disgusting.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »
Muboop, try using fewer exclamation points so it doesn't look like you're shouting all the time. Also, this forum has standards for grammar and capitalization. Please check the rules.

I will never understand this. i feel the couple of six years have a much stronger relationship and are much better equipped to have sex and take what come wiht it, as well as more mature to not jump into things, if they have a kid, they are likely to be able to take it easier etc... so why should the married couple get preferance?
Marriage is a sign of a willingness to take responsibility. Not getting married is a sign of a willingness to leave whenever the going gets tough. You said the couple who lives together for 6 years doesn't want to make the commitment; exactly so. So why do you think they would take responsibility for children, if they're not committed? That's a contradiction.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with Bookstore Guy. This is an interesting topic, but it's not nearly as much fun when it degenerates into what it is right now--word-twisting and name-calling. I hope that I'm not one of those doing that, but since I'm not sure, and I can't control how others take my responses, I apologize for any misunderstandings and any offense I may have given from any of my posts.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
if you cna come back form a year or so of travelling through the world including europe etc and still believe as you do now i will be shocked...

I've been restraining myself from getting involved in this argument, partly because it was getting so vitriolic and off-topic, and partly because I was annoyed by some posters' neglect of punctuation and spell-check.

However, I now wish to offer my own experience as an example of one who:
1) Is not Mormon, never has been, whose parents are not Mormon, and has never lived in a predominantly LDS community,
2) Has lived for extended periods of time (at least 6 months) in Zaire, Cameroon, and Belgium, as well as in Kansas, Illinois, and Massachusetts, in addition to travel throughout other regions,
3) Is well-educated regarding the Bible and the history of the Christian church, and
4) Agrees with most of the main points made by Wilson, Reaves, and Ookla, specifically:
   a) That extramarital sex is immoral
   b) That I've personally known many people, male and female, who have chosen to refrain from extramarital sex
   c) That Jesus was without sin or flaw, that he was divine as well as human

While a person's upbringing and cultural surroundings certainly tend to influence that person's beliefs, those beliefs are not thereby invalid - that is, the person would not necessarily change those beliefs if exposed to a different environment.

As to the lack of sexuality in Mistborn, it wasn't something that occurred to me as a problem but now that it's been mentioned, I agree that the trilogy wouldn't have been hurt by just a little more evidence of physical attraction between Elend and Vin.  As others have said, it wasn't utterly absent.  (One of my favorite examples that I haven't seen mentioned is at the end of The Final Empire, after the fight in Kredik Shaw, when Elend says, "Valette?  Do you think you could go put your clothes on?  This is ... kind of distracting.")  But a few more hints that they appreciated each other's bodies would not have been amiss.

That said, I believe that characters can be realistic and believable without conforming to the majority on any particular characteristic.  Even if muboop is correct in estimating that 99% of the world's population engages in extramarital sex (although I would contend that the percentage is considerably lower), I think an author has the right to write his characters from within that other 1%.  This is all the more true when, as in Sanderson's case, the author himself, and many of his close associates, fall within that 1%.  After all, authors write stories about princesses, movie stars, defense attorneys, assassins, and many other groups that comprise far less than 1% of the general population.  If they do it well, readers are not left thinking, "How unrealistic!  Nobody I know is a defense attorney!"  Rather, they enjoy the vicarious experience of a world and an outlook different from their own.

As for pizza, I love sausage, pepperoni, and mushrooms.  And maybe some extra mushrooms.  They're about the only vegetable topping I like, I can't stand onions, peppers, or olives.

And my pink unicorn is named Jewel, and he's an excellent warrior against both koloss and Calormenes.
He ate my horse.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
Sarah--I loved that part at the end of FE! I was laughing so hard at that comment. And that's another example of the sexuality going on, but we're not in Elend's head, so we don't know WHAT he finds distracted (although we have a pretty darn good idea....), and HOW distracting, and what it is that he's thinking...but I don't think those things are necessary. Just the simple knowledge of knowing that it's going on is enough. For me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
very well put Sarah. i agree whole-heatedly with your views on the 1% and the 99%.

I also believe strongly that mushrooms are a great addition to any pizza. i am actually quite surprised how many people here dig pepperoni, sausage and mushroom. we should totally have a party.  my personal preferences lean towards specialty pizzas like the ones served at California Pizza Kitchen. Chipotle Chicken/Steak. BBQ chicken. this one with ranch dressing, lettuce, bacon, tomato and avocado (especially great in the summer). However, my wife like simplicity, so i dig pepperoni and mushroom.  

Personally, Mistborn and the like aside, I would be curious to see how the themes of attraction and sex are treated in Brandon's next series, Way of Kings. It is a much broader scope, so knowing Brandon, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see these type of things much more prevalent. All I ask is that he doesnt go all Mercedes Lackey on us. Now THERE is a lady with a pink unicorn obsession. you think we are bad...sheesh.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/